Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please explain to me why some of you want to keep Alexei. I cannot stand him, his style of play, and what he "brings" to the Sox. If I was the GM, I'd be looking for upgrades at the SS position while unloading some of the vets. I wouldn't be as frustrated with AR if he was playing 2B, but that is supposedly going to be Gordon Beckham's position for his entire career with the Sox.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
I think we can compete next year without Buerhrle and Garcia. Just by looking at the free agent class of pitchers i think it would only take one signing to get a rotation of Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Hudson, SP to respectability.

any assumptions that the Sox can compete in the coming decade assumes they have a coaching staff who can get something out of the talent, and from what we've seen since mid-2006, we currently do not have such a staff.

just as we have nothing to lose by unloading and reloading players, we have less to lose IMHO by unloading coaches

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
I hope I'm wrong, but it's hard to see Jake Peavy being as dominant here as he was in the NL. Maybe the Cardinals (or the Phillies) take him off our hands...

That's the guy who keeps coming to my mind. If the Sox want to cut salary, Peavy has the highest.

Konerko goes too and lucky for the Sox, he's having a good season. I'd like him to sign back next season.

Rios is a big salary who they could move as well no that he has figured things out.

Mark stays. He's making too much and having a bad season. Plus it would be too much of a PR hit to lose him.

Crappy season. I thought they'd be better. I'm ready big change.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
I think MB makes sense to the Mets if KW is willing to take Perez and his $12M back he could probably get a pretty good prospect back.

Trading PK, Linebrink, Andruw, and Jenks does not make this team any better. Not now, not next year, and not in five years. You have to trade something of value to get something back namely Danks and Thornton. AJP will be a Type A free agent at the end of the season and if you cant get two high quality prospects back you might as well hold on to him, Flowers needs the time in AAA apparently.

Does Burls have a NTC? cuz he wouldn't waive it to go to the mets... Buehrle in NYC? not happening.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
Please explain to me why some of you want to keep Alexei. I cannot stand him, his style of play, and what he "brings" to the Sox. If I was the GM, I'd be looking for upgrades at the SS position while unloading some of the vets. I wouldn't be as frustrated with AR if he was playing 2B, but that is supposedly going to be Gordon Beckham's position for his entire career with the Sox.

People focus on his defense from the first half of last year. But it has gotten a lot better since then. If your biggest problem is the occasional lackadaisical throw, that can be corrected.

He's cheap labor and a lot of bat for the SS position(at that price).

No one wants to hear that he's a good dollar value of talent, but good teams manage to have that guy. Our problem is we havent populated the roster with star big $ talent to complement our nice bargain buys. So for that reason AR looks like a drain on the ticket at the moment.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)

who would you consider an upgrade over alexei?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 04:19 AM)
So nobody gives a hoot if Buehrls is just up n traded? It's almost like a "Don't let the door hit yer ass on the way out" mentality floating around here. Anybody else sense this?

Why, we'd be doing him a favor allowing him to play for a contender as well as turning his career around by going to the NL.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
So nobody gives a hoot if Buehrls is just up n traded? It's almost like a "Don't let the door hit yer ass on the way out" mentality floating around here. Anybody else sense this?

Everyone loves the guy, that hasn't changed. Just loving less what his numbers are.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
At some point Buehrle has to have a last game ever in a White Sox uniform. If the time's now to maximize his value in trade, the real fan wants the right move to be made.

It's a tough decision to make but that's why the evaluators get paid what they're paid.

With Buehrle's contract plus his performance to this point... He has no value right now. Who wants to acquire a soft-tosser with a six plus ERA and $20 million plus due over a year and a half?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)

i dont want him gone at all. he is my favorite sox pitcher of all time

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:39 PM)
i dont want him gone at all. he is my favorite sox pitcher of all time

We're almost to the point where it's not a question of IF we're going to deal Mark, but WHEN.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
Cardinals pitched two of their possible starting rotation replacements tonight, and they gave up 10 runs in 5 innings.

Of all of the teams that might trade for starting pitching, the Cards have to be one of the least likely to splurge on something like $25 million for Mark Buehrle.

I've gone on at length many times about trading AJ and Mark, and I just do not want to see that happen. Floyd needs to stay because he can be expected to turn it around. Same with Peavy. Both have had success and both are very talented. No reason to trade Rios because we've finally got a CF solution. Other than that...

1. Paulie - Should be gone for the best available package. Whether the Sox eat salary and ask for prospects or look to save money is going to be JR's call, not Kenny's IMO.

2. Freddy - Should be gone, and I'm pretty optimistic about his return from an NL ballclub. He's my dark horse for a nice player, but along the middle relief/reclamation project lines. Cheap salary, huge testes, playoff vet = NL weapon.

3. Linebrink - Makes $5M in '10 and $5.5M in '11. I think we can move him this year by eating money ($2-3.5M) in 2011 while asking nothing at all in return, along with eating his entire 2010 salary. If we only save a couple million in 2011 then that's still reason enough to do the deal and free up a pen spot for a young player.

4. Teahen - Contract: $3.75M in '10, $4.75M in '11, $5.5M in '12. Yeah right.

5. Thornton - I love Matt Thornton but I'd deal him in a heartbeat if I got another team to take on Teahen in the deal. I'd rather have the money than have the prospects, because the money can go into the draft and international free agency if we want it to go there, or it can go towards the MLB team if we want it to there there instead. But that's the deal if I'm Kenny: you want to pick up the biggest reliever on the market, and one of the best available players period, and a true secret weapon that can kill your opposition in the playoffs? You want a **real** difference maker, and one you can control for 2011 at a dirt cheap price? Then you're going to swallow that big turd named Mark Teahen, and you're gonna like it too. And if I'm Kenny I pick up the phone right now and I let everyone out there know that. And if I'm the Yankees or Red Sox, and I've got the funds available, I jump all over this. Ideally the Red Sox and Yankees would both be interested and we'd end up with a halfway decent prospect thrown in there too.

6. Pierre - His $3.5M prorated this year shouldn't be a huge problem, but the $5M owed in 2011 is a huge stumbling block. I'd love to package this guy to get rid of him, but I can't see any takers for what we'd offer. I'd love to see the Sox eat some money and trade him, but at best he's probably a $2M overpayment in 2011 even including the Dodgers cash. I'd definitely do that though if we could. I'd eat all of Linebrink and Pierre's 2010 cash along with another $5-6M in 2011 just to save another $4.5-5.5M to improve the 2011 club in FA. But that's probably a pipedream.

7. Jones - Same thing as Freddy above.

8. Jenks - Same as Paulie above.

9. Putz - He makes more than Freddy and Jones, but he's still cheap as s*** and is a very good reliever. Should bring a decent return.

10. Kotsay, Castro, Lillibridge, Nix, Vizquel = who cares. All for sale, none worth a damn.

The radical fringe of the internet is different from other brands of fans. Remember that.

If they trade Mark, I'd hope they could get a good deal, but after our most recent round of deals I have no more confidence In KW and Oz's judge of talent.

I hope he stays. But I'd hope if we deal him we get a lot back. He's going to pitch well again. You can bank that (unless he gets hurt).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 04:06 AM)
The radical fringe of the internet is different from other brands of fans. Remember that.

If they trade Mark, I'd hope they could get a good deal, but after our most recent round of deals I have no more confidence In KW and Oz's judge of talent.

I hope he stays. But I'd hope if we deal him we get a lot back. He's going to pitch well again. You can bank that (unless he gets hurt).

Says?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)

And I think if Mark were traded it would just be a salary dump that would piss off most of the non-SoxTalk/WSI/internet fans pretty severely. And then let's say the Hawks win the Cup and LBJ comes to Chicago. Welcome back, 1998 Chicago White Sox. We missed you.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects