Olney: Sox to start trading away vets

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:48 AM)
Steve Stone was on CSN last night and made it very clear that he believes A.J. will be moved before Monday when he earns his 10/5 rights.

He also said that he doesn't think Konerko is part of KW's future plans (not too surprising), so he'll be moved if the team doesn't improve in the near future

That's interesting. It's difficult to assess whether that's just an opinion or if it's the organization's official position. Stone has historically shown that he'll speak his mind, but the Sox tend to not give their broadcasters much leeway to say what they actually believe (e.g., Hawk).

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
They might trade AJ before next Monday, but I don't think his 10/5 date is that important. No matter who wants him, they're going to be a contending team because who else would want him for the rest of the year? I think he'll still approve a trade after June 14 because it will give him a chance to win this year.

It is important because AJ said he won't allow a trade after that date.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)

I would say AJ has "Suggested" as much, rather than explicitly stated, unless you've read something I haven't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
I would say AJ has "Suggested" as much, rather than explicitly stated, unless you've read something I haven't.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.mobi/4289/show/d...4805093841303bf

Pierzynski, 33, wanted to work out an extension with the White Sox, but with that off the table for now, he's looking for a resolution about his future.

‘‘Everyone knows my situation, I’m a free agent at the end of the year," Pierzynski told Cowley. "But I also know this, if it gets to about June then they can’t trade me, so they’re going to have to make a decision here pretty quick.’’

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)

At least to my readings, the way that was asked/worded still puts me at "Strongly suggested". He didn't explicitly say he'd veto any trade, he said they can't trade me. Hard to know how the question was asked there too...and that was before the season imploded.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
At least to my readings, the way that was asked/worded still puts me at "Strongly suggested". He didn't explicitly say he'd veto any trade, he said they can't trade me. Hard to know how the question was asked there too...and that was before the season imploded.

The sentence is missing "without asking me", and has the extra sentence at the end saying they have to decide now. If that doesn't say trade block, I don't know what does.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)

Even if he decides he's willing to accept a trade, once he has his 10/5 rights, he can dictate where he wants to go. I don't envision too many teams competing for his services, but he could easily tell KW he'll only accept a trade to one of them (for example a team near his home in Florida). We're already looking at a minimal return for A.J. and giving him power will only weaken it further.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)

On his ESPN Baseball Tonight Report, he indicated that A.Jones could demand a lot of interest because he makes almost no money ($500,000 this season, obviously even less now), and has hit lefties. Konerko is still owed $8 million this season so that could hurt his market value, and Olney didn't seem to expect the Sox to move Thornton.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
You dont move Floyd, Danks, Hudson or Peavy obviously. The rest can go as far as arms. You'd like to at least keep Thornton, Putz and Santos out of the pen, but I'm sure none are untouchable.

As far as bats. You keep Rios, Beckham, Quentin, Alexei and thats about it. The rest can go. You'd hope to get some serious value for Konerko if you need to move him to be honest.

Your entire push should be acquiring some cheaper bats so that we can free up salary to possible buy some pitching next season. C Lee should be there push although they prob wouldnt even try to afford him.

Tend to agree with your thought on pitchers - I still think the team lacks a front line starter (they have a few guys who we thought could fit in the middle of the rotation, but they haven't lived up to standards, and Peavy was supposed to be the legitimate #1 starter, but that hasn't worked).

As far as hitters, Rios stays, and I don't see the Sox moving Beckham. The other guys will probably be here as well as I don't see much demand for a .200 hitter or a SS who struggles to keep his head in the game.

Disagree on selling low on Floyd. I still think Floyd might end up being a better pitcher than Danks. He doesn't seem like much of an injury risk with his easy delivery. With that curveball and his ability to go deep into games, he's one of our few quality contracts.

AJ has to go now.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
This is exciting news! But I'll believe it when the first trade papers hit the commissioner's desk.

I think Kenny Williams, if true, is making the right decision, but I hardly am excited to know that the season is a waste, and, I really don't expect the Sox to get back any meaningful prospects.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
The starting rotation, around which the team was built and who many predicted would be among MLB's best, has the worst ERA in the AL.

I think we overated it.

We expected Peavy to be a frontline starter, but in fact, has been horrible this season. The other guys - Buerhle, and Floyd - were expected to be 2 or 3 type starter pitchers, and they've been horrible. Only Danks has been consistent all season (until his last 2 starts) and lived up to pre-season expectations, but I wouldn't say he's more than a borderline #2 and probably a #3 starter. When Garcia has been as good, if not better than 3 of your starters, your team is in trouble.

Realistically, this team lacks a #1 starter, and maybe a #2 starter, although Danks COULD be that.

I really dont understand why you trade AJ ... the guy, despite a sub-par season, is a baseball rarity, a good-hitting catcher (despite swinging at the first pitch constantly), a good gamer, and a veteran that Flowers could ultimately learn from ... he certainly competitive and we don't get anything for him in return. Don't know but having him finish his career with us and anchor that position (or mentor) seems to be worth an inexpensive extension.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
How is this team going to get any better by trading only the guys with little value? Open for business means that anyone is on the block, the one exception would proabably be Beckham because of his current value in relation to overall potential.

This team isn't going to get much better making the same type of salary dump deals KW has made over the last few years, we need to move the big chips to get a big return that will impove this team.

Let's face it, the White Sox are not going to rebuild the team, they are going to continue try to win, but we've reached a crossroads here - we need to find out whether Viceido/Flowers can be expected (not guaranteed, see Beckham) to contribute to next year's team.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
No it doesn't (though it definitely means that Sox fans will make that assumption) . It means whatever Williams wants it to mean, and the same players likely to go are the same players that were already likely to go at the end of the season or sooner.

AJ

Konerko

Jenks

Jones

I think Putz is likely to go as well, given that he's on a 1 year deal.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
You trade A.J. becasue the team sucks and we want to get something in return for him. He can "game" elsewhere.

They will not get anything for him in return - that's the point. Also adds a lot of risk at the position

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 08:48 AM)
Steve Stone was on CSN last night and made it very clear that he believes A.J. will be moved before Monday when he earns his 10/5 rights.

He also said that he doesn't think Konerko is part of KW's future plans (not too surprising), so he'll be moved if the team doesn't improve in the near future.

That would be the start of the 2010 off-season.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
They will not get anything for him in return - that's the point. Also adds a lot of risk at the position

I would understand keeping him to split time with Flowers at C/DH, but I think after this season, Williams will want to have more of a set lineup, plus we'll probably need whatever payroll flexibility we can get.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
I would understand keeping him to split time with Flowers at C/DH, but I think after this season, Williams will want to have more of a set lineup, plus we'll probably need whatever payroll flexibility we can get.

AJ has shown zero interest in splitting time with anyone young. Supposedly things were fairly uncomfortable when Flowers and AJ were both around in the ST.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
AJ has shown zero interest in splitting time with anyone young. Supposedly things were fairly uncomfortable when Flowers and AJ were both around in the ST.

Yet another reason for Williams to cut the chord.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 01:11 PM)
Yet another reason for Williams to cut the chord.

Is that a new expression for something musical? Is KW taking up guitar in his spare time? KW and Billy Corgan, cutting those chords...

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
I think we overated it.

We expected Peavy to be a frontline starter, but in fact, has been horrible this season. The other guys - Buerhle, and Floyd - were expected to be 2 or 3 type starter pitchers, and they've been horrible. Only Danks has been consistent all season (until his last 2 starts) and lived up to pre-season expectations, but I wouldn't say he's more than a borderline #2 and probably a #3 starter. When Garcia has been as good, if not better than 3 of your starters, your team is in trouble.

Realistically, this team lacks a #1 starter, and maybe a #2 starter, although Danks COULD be that.

Yes, because results for a half season mean more than their entire careers. Peavy is a #1 and has gone through 2 major mechanical tweaks this season alone. He will be our Ace for the next several years. If you dont believe Danks is a #2 then you havent been watching him. He is one of the better LHP in the AL. Buehrle is having a bad season, how many good ones has he had? Just because the results arent there for a few months, doesnt mean thats the type of players they are.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
I really dont understand why you trade AJ ... the guy, despite a sub-par season, is a baseball rarity, a good-hitting catcher (despite swinging at the first pitch constantly), a good gamer, and a veteran that Flowers could ultimately learn from ... he certainly competitive and we don't get anything for him in return. Don't know but having him finish his career with us and anchor that position (or mentor) seems to be worth an inexpensive extension.

Even for a catcher, A.J. is not that good of a hitter. His lack of patience makes him a mediocre hitter at best.