Cardinals looking for pitching. MB to Cards?

Mattchoo

Garcia probably makes more sense, but if the Cards are willing to take Buehrle's contract and give us a high-level prospect, along with a power bullpen arm like M. Boggs, I will gladly thank Buehrle for his amazing career here....and then drive him to the airport.

Directly from the article you posted:

The club also appears interested in Kevin Millwood, according to Strauss, though the team would not likely be able to take on the remainder of Millwood's $12MM salary.

The Cardinals likely would not be interested in MB, simply because they not only won't want to pay him this season, they won't want to pay his trade-kicker increased price.

Secondly...no, the Cardinals pretty much have nothing of interest in terms of young talent right now.

I would have zero problem if the White Sox limit the starters innings and bring back Peavy, Floyd, Danks and MB next year and hope some of this was just a fluke... all 4 of those still have a lot of talent and starting 2011 with them at the start of the rotation is OK with me.

Garcia probably makes more sense, but if the Cards are willing to take Buehrle's contract and give us a high-level prospect, along with a power bullpen arm like M. Boggs, I will gladly thank Buehrle for his amazing career here....and then drive him to the airport.

Fathom, are you ok with me assisting to put his luggage in the trunk??

:gosoxretro: :gosoxretro:

Actual link with the interesting bits copied/pasted and BOLD.

Link: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...05?OpenDocument

A club source also indicated interest in Baltimore Orioles starter Kevin Millwood but indicated that finances likely preclude the Cardinals from pursuing a winless pitcher still owed about $7.5 million of his $12 million salary. Kansas City Royals righthander Brian Bannister is believed available for the right price.

Unlike Millwood, Bannister is on a tear, winning his last five starts while dropping his overall ERA to 4.50. Bannister, 29, is third-time arbitration-eligible after this season.

Sounds like the main reason they would not pursue Buerhle.

Mooted this in the other trade thread we had going.

I think the Cards would look at Buehrle over Millwood for instance because of the potential for better crowd figures, merchandise etc. going forward considering he is close to a local boy and everything.

Shelby Miller is probably their top prospect, RHP picked at #19 in last year's draft, got a lot of upside but still very raw and struggling in the Midwest League with a 5.10 ERA ATM.

Eduardo Sanchez is a power reliever who KW will probably like I'd imagine.

Mooted this in the other trade thread we had going.

I think the Cards would look at Buehrle over Millwood for instance because of the potential for better crowd figures, merchandise etc. going forward considering he is close to a local boy and everything.

Shelby Miller is probably their top prospect, RHP picked at #19 in last year's draft, got a lot of upside but still very raw and struggling in the Midwest League with a 5.10 ERA ATM.

Eduardo Sanchez is a power reliever who KW will probably like I'd imagine.

If Buerhle continues to struggle do you think the Sox would sell his availabilty as "A change of scenery is needed"? The other factor is payroll. Whatever they take in for buerhle most likely counts against the massive pot they will need to re-sign Pujols longterm and keep him happy.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
If Buerhle continues to struggle do you think the Sox would sell his availabilty as "A change of scenery is needed"? The other factor is payroll. Whatever they take in for buerhle most likely counts against the massive pot they will need to re-sign Pujols longterm and keep him happy.

Possibly.

Obviously Pujols' contract will be the big issue that the Cards will have to consider going forward.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Possibly? More like definately. They will not give Pujols' money to Mark Buehrle.

I was saying possibly in terms of how the Sox are going to sell MB if they want to deal him. As I said in another thread, I've got no doubt MB would go to the NL and produce very good numbers from the get go, teams in the AL (the AL Central in particular) have seen too much of MB over the years and know how he operates.

No doubt that locking up Pujols is the Cards' #1 priority.

But even if scouts and teams think he could turn it wround in the NL, it's still probably too much of a risk for them. Especially with is trade kicker. I wish we could find someone to take him though. With Hudson up next year, I'd rather have a resigned Garcia than Buehrle.

I would have zero problem if the White Sox limit the starters innings and bring back Peavy, Floyd, Danks and MB next year and hope some of this was just a fluke... all 4 of those still have a lot of talent and starting 2011 with them at the start of the rotation is OK with me.

That sounds an awful lot like the Cubs' annual cry, "Wait til next year!"

It's all a fluke til the end of April when we are 8 games back again.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
I was saying possibly in terms of how the Sox are going to sell MB if they want to deal him. As I said in another thread, I've got no doubt MB would go to the NL and produce very good numbers from the get go, teams in the AL (the AL Central in particular) have seen too much of MB over the years and know how he operates.

This I agree with. I hope that MB can turn it around, but I don't know if he'll ever be a dominant pitcher in the AL Central again.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
This I agree with. I hope that MB can turn it around, but I don't know if he'll ever be a dominant pitcher in the AL Central again.

I don't know if Peavy will ever be a good pitcher in the AL central.

I would much rather have Mark than Peavy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
That sounds an awful lot like the Cubs' annual cry, "Wait til next year!"

It's all a fluke til the end of April when we are 8 games back again.

no, not at all. The Sox have 4 proven MLB starters at relatively good ages locked up for another year, what's the alternative? Trade these guys for prospects? OK, well this org hasn't shown the ability to consistently develop or scout young talent. Say they save some payroll, who are they going to get? More offense? Any good SP will cost what MB is due.

Say they trade MB or any of the other 3, what do they come back with next year? Hudson is no guarantee nor is any starter they are likely to get back in a trade.

I'm not a fan of trading for trading sake and I don't see a better alternative. Just looking at the history of the org and the viable alternatives, I think it might be the best option. Now of course there's always caveats, ie a team makes a ridiculous trade offer, etc.

"Wait til' next year" is something a Cubs fan says when reaching for another beer and think it's cute to say, I actually gave a reason, the 4 starters are proven MLB veterans

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)
no, not at all. The Sox have 4 proven MLB starters at relatively good ages locked up for another year, what's the alternative? Trade these guys for prospects? OK, well this org hasn't shown the ability to consistently develop or scout young talent.

We have two starters in Floyd and Danks that are the by-product of good scouting. We also have a kid in Daniel Hudson waiting in the wings that we developed ourselves, just waiting to assume a rotation spot beside those two.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
We have two starters in Floyd and Danks that are the by-product of good scouting. We also have a kid in Daniel Hudson waiting in the wings that we developed ourselves, just waiting to assume a rotation spot beside those two.

yeah, not saying the Sox haven't had any success, but are you willing to bet the next year or two of the franchise on this teams scouting and development and also how good of a MLB ready prospect are people expecting to get for MB and the remaining contract? Hudson, hope he does well, but still has to prove it start in and start out and also can't expect Freddy to give what he's giving this year or to be able to resign him. If they trade MB, lose Freddy or he's not as effective you have 1-3 with Hudson at 4 and a hole at 5.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
I think Putz makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Cardinals statistically have one of the better bullpens in baseball. They have 2 or 3 rooks in their rotation now.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
Cardinals statistically have one of the better bullpens in baseball. They have 2 or 3 rooks in their rotation now.

I have a few Cardinals fan friends (they're not stupid either) and they tend to worry about this bullpen a lot.

Plus, we're going to end up trading Putz anyways, why not trade him to a team that might need his help. It's not like Ryan Franklin is the most reliable closer ever (see September/October of last year).

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)

The Cardinals seem to be one of those teams that always has a solid bullpen, no matter who they throw out there. Either La Russa knows when/where to place them or they just have the best pitching coach in baseball.