2010-2011 NHL thread

QUOTE (supernuke @ May 31, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Still need approval from the board of governors. They need to sell 13000 season tickets to get the approval.

Wait, they need 62% of their seats sold in season tickets to a team that doesn't exist prior to approval? Does that seem a tad crazy to anyone else? That can't be right.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
Wait, they need 62% of their seats sold in season tickets to a team that doesn't exist prior to approval? Does that seem a tad crazy to anyone else? That can't be right.

TRUE NORTH SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT LAUNCHES

"DRIVE TO 13,000" TO SECURE NHL FRANCHISE IN WINNIPEG

Winnipeg - True North Sports & Entertainment Limited is pleased to announce it has entered into an agreement with Atlanta Spirit, LLC with respect to the purchase of the Atlanta Thrashers Hockey Club.

The purchase of the Thrashers will be subject to the National Hockey League Board of Governors approval at a Board meeting to be held on June 21. The approval of this transaction by the Board will, among other things, consider the level of support generated in the Winnipeg community during a season ticket campaign. Once the NHL Board of Governors approval is granted, the purchase of the Thrashers by True North Sports & Entertainment will be complete clearing the way for the NHL club to relocate to Winnipeg’s MTS Centre for the start of the 2011-2012 hockey season.

As part of today’s announcement, True North is excited to formally kick off its Drive to 13,000 season ticket sales campaign. The Drive to 13,000 campaign will consist of a presale as well as a general public onsale. The presale will provide existing Manitoba Moose Season Ticket Holders, Mini Pack Holders, and Corporate Advertising Partners with the opportunity to secure seats during an "advance window presale". All of these existing customers will be contacted immediately by email with instructions related to their account and purchase priority timelines and procedures.

www.driveto13.com

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 28, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)
Not sure why all the Boston hate and putting them on Vancouver's level. I know we hate the Red Sox and their fans, but this is hockey...there's no "Bruins nation" BS...not a lot of irritating players at all...original 6 team as well...much easier pick than Vancouver.

Agree wholeheartedly. Bruins are the only thing about Boston I like.

As for Winnipeg, whether they call them the Jets or not, they're not the Jets. They'd be similar to the expansion NFL Browns, claiming a name of a team playing elsewhere under another identity.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 31, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
So does this mean in that the Wings will move to the East in 2 years?

The Wings have always wanted to move to the East but I'm not sure they will get chosen. Nashville, Dallas, or Columbus seem to make more sense, they can just take the Thrashers spot in the Southeast, the Wild can move into the Norris.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 28, 2011 -> 09:56 PM)
Boston fans are assholes regardless of sport. I don't put them on Vancouver's level, but I still hate every team from there. Even if this was Calgary against Boston though, I'd still root for the Bruins, even with them being a Boston team. I will ALWAYS root against the Canadian team in the Final if they are there and playing an American team. The people up there thing it's some sort of right for a Canadian team to have the Cup, and I find it delicious it hasn't been there in so long. Hopefully, it stays that way.

That is one of the silliest things I have ever read. The city that players play isn't even decided by them a a majority of the time, and most teams in America are comprised of Canadian players. Both sides of this argument are hilariously stupid.

Either way, I'm rooting for Boston because they're Original 6 and I absolutely despise anything and everything that has to do with the Canucks.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:46 PM)
The Wings have always wanted to move to the East but I'm not sure they will get chosen. Nashville, Dallas, or Columbus seem to make more sense, they can just take the Thrashers spot in the Southeast, the Wild can move into the Norris.

I was discussing this on another forum with a Wings fan and he brings up Detroit being in the Eastern time zone as a reason why its a logical move. Plus he brought up Detroit being the best road attendance team as another reason. Detroit visiting Florida,Carolina,Islanders a couple of times a year is better than having Columbus,Dallas or Nashville traveling to those cities.

I'd personally like to see Nashville move to the East. It would strengthen the Southeast Division without taking a big force out of the Western Conference.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 31, 2011 -> 10:48 PM)
I was discussing this on another forum with a Wings fan and he brings up Detroit being in the Eastern time zone as a reason why its a logical move. Plus he brought up Detroit being the best road attendance team as another reason. Detroit visiting Florida,Carolina,Islanders a couple of times a year is better than having Columbus,Dallas or Nashville traveling to those cities.

I'd personally like to see Nashville move to the East. It would strengthen the Southeast Division without taking a big force out of the Western Conference.

Detroit wants to move East but I just don't see it happening. What would they do? Place them in the SE? Shift Pittsburgh, Philly or NJ to the SE? It'd make much more sense moving Dallas to the East (SE) and then Winnipeg to the NW with Vancouver shifting to the Pacific. Or doing something with moving Nashville to the SE, Winnipeg to the NW and Chicago to the Central.

Also, Phoenix is in trouble and Quebec City is making a push for a team. If that were to happen for 2012-2013 they'd obviously move East.

QUOTE (supernuke @ May 31, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Still need approval from the board of governors. They need to sell 13000 season tickets to get the approval.

I would imagine this wouldn't have gotten this far if that wasn't a slam dunk.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 08:12 AM)
The Hawks?

Yeah, the Hawks do, and I'm sure so do the Wings, Canucks, Canadians, hell all of the Canadian teams probably do. But I would bet that's still only a 1/3 of the league that does. It's kind of a high bench mark IMO. I would doubt any of the Western teams do.

Edited by LittleHurt05

They'll get the 13,000 this year, if it takes True North "sponsoring" employees, clients, etc. to get to that level.

It's later on, when the novelty wears off, that the actual amount of "season reservations" would be evident.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 31, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)
That is one of the silliest things I have ever read. The city that players play isn't even decided by them a a majority of the time, and most teams in America are comprised of Canadian players. Both sides of this argument are hilariously stupid.

Either way, I'm rooting for Boston because they're Original 6 and I absolutely despise anything and everything that has to do with the Canucks.

Well obviously, I know that. Buff and Kane were the only active American players on the Hawks for game 6 last year as an example. Your first bolded statement is true sportswide as well, outside of some exceptions like Derrick Rose. But no matter how stupid or silly you think it is, the fact is that many fans in Canada are upset that the Cup hasn't been with a Canadian team in so long. And I find it rather hilarious, and hope it continues.

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)

There's one major flaw with this reason. Attendance in those cities will have a slight increase, but then you are taking away road attendance from Columbus, Anaheim, Colorado, Dallas. They were all in the bottom 10 with under 86% capacity. It's not like there are Winnipegians everywhere to offset that loss.

I do agree with you that it makes the most sense to add Nashville to the SE, Winnipeg to the NW (4 Canadian teams), and Minnesota to the Central.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 08:11 AM)
I would imagine this wouldn't have gotten this far if that wasn't a slam dunk.

The guy's running True North seem to be smart businessmen so I am sure they have a plan. I just think it is odd that the have to sell 80% of the tickets as season tickets and they have to be purchased with a 3 to 5 year commitment depending on the seats.

QUOTE (supernuke @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
The guy's running True North seem to be smart businessmen so I am sure they have a plan. I just think it is odd that the have to sell 80% of the tickets as season tickets and they have to be purchased with a 3 to 5 year commitment depending on the seats.

They are trying to prevent another failure of a fan base. It makes perfect sense to me.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 07:13 AM)
It'd make much more sense moving Dallas to the East (SE) and then Winnipeg to the NW with Vancouver shifting to the Pacific. Or doing something with moving Nashville to the SE, Winnipeg to the NW and Chicago to the Central.

I think this might work as well:

The easiest fix seems to be a three-stepper: move Winnipeg from the Southeast to the Northwest (with Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Colorado), move Minnesota from the Northwest to the Central (with Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis and Columbus) and move Nashville from the Central to the Southeast (with Washington, Tampa Bay, Carolina and Florida).

This plan preserves the 15-15 balance of teams between the Eastern and Western Conferences (Winnipeg/Atlanta shifts from the East to the West, Nashville from the West to the East, and Minnesota stays in the West).

It also increases the number of Canadian-based teams in the Northwest to four, adding fuel to the existing blaze of hockey-hotbed rivalries in that division, which should please the Winnipeg team's owners and fans.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
They are trying to prevent another failure of a fan base. It makes perfect sense to me.

I understand that I just thought 80% was a little high. It only leaves a little over 2000 tickets for each game for single game sales. Like I said I am sure True North has a plan to make things work.

QUOTE (supernuke @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
I understand that I just thought 80% was a little high. It only leaves a little over 2000 tickets for each game for single game sales. Like I said I am sure True North has a plan to make things work.

Wow, the arena up there only holds 15k? That is pretty small. Do they have plans for a new building?

"The easiest fix seems to be a three-stepper: move Winnipeg from the Southeast to the Northwest (with Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Colorado), move Minnesota from the Northwest to the Central (with Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis and Columbus) and move Nashville from the Central to the Southeast (with Washington, Tampa Bay, Carolina and Florida).

This plan preserves the 15-15 balance of teams between the Eastern and Western Conferences (Winnipeg/Atlanta shifts from the East to the West, Nashville from the West to the East, and Minnesota stays in the West).

It also increases the number of Canadian-based teams in the Northwest to four, adding fuel to the existing blaze of hockey-hotbed rivalries in that division, which should please the Winnipeg team's owners and fans."

I can tell you that although they would lose their biggest rival in the Red Wings, the Predators want this plan as well. With this not being a hockey market, those late games on the West coast just kill them. They hope that the earlier starts of playing teams on the east coast will translate into increased interest and attendance so they can build on their first playoff series win.

As a Hawks fan, I would like to see the above scenario with Columbus moving to the East instead of Nashville. That way, I can still see the Hawks 3 times a year down in Music City.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Wow, the arena up there only holds 15k? That is pretty small. Do they have plans for a new building?

I have heard rumours that the arena can be expanded by raising the roof, but I have no idea if there is any truth to that or not. The building is only 7 years old so I don't imagine there will be a new one.

QUOTE (supernuke @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
I have heard rumours that the arena can be expanded by raising the roof, but I have no idea if there is any truth to that or not. The building is only 7 years old so I don't imagine there will be a new one.

That's all it takes? Do the fans of Canada know how to Raise the Roof?