2010-2011 NHL thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gosh, I feel bad for you Blackhawk fans who have to deal with the Canucks and their fans a few times a year. If watching them dive and hold their faces every time they are touched isnt bad enough, now their fans are crying about Tim Thomas laying out their player and calling the hit on Horton nothing more than a good hockey hit.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
gosh, I feel bad for you Blackhawk fans who have to deal with the Canucks and their fans a few times a year. If watching them dive and hold their faces every time they are touched isnt bad enough, now their fans are crying about Tim Thomas laying out their player and calling the hit on Horton nothing more than a good hockey hit.

It was a good hockey hit...if there were no rules in hockey. Solid 2-3 seconds after Horton got rid of the puck AND he left his feet.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)

Loved that Tim Thomas hit. It was brilliant.

Just saw the Thomas hit too, good stuff. Definitely legal, get the f*** out the crease Swede.

I know it was only one game, but hopefully they got into Lu's head and can carry the momentum into a game 4 victory. You don't want to step into the Rogers Centre with the Canucks having a chance to win the Cup.

That hit from Vancouver was eerily similar to the one Torres gave on Seabrook which turned that whole series around. Blackhawks wound up stomping them a couple games after that as well. Hopefully the same happens with the Bruins.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 12:43 AM)
It was a good hockey hit...if there were no rules in hockey. Solid 2-3 seconds after Horton got rid of the puck AND he left his feet.

That was actually one of the worst hits of the season. He should get at least 2 games. If it was regular season he'd be looking at 5+ IMO.

As expected, Horton is out for the series, but at least he's out of the hospital. There is zero reason why Rome should be allowed to play in this series again, it's only a potential of 4 games, his suspension should be at least that long. Advantage Canucks, a 3rd pairing D-man for one of the Bruins top scorers.

"Two factors were considered in reaching this decision," Mike Murphy, the NHL's senior vice president of hockey operations, said today in a news release "The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury."

They finally got one right....although I hate that last part. It's about the lack of respect for the same guys you share the ice with. It's about trying to knock someones head off instead of knocking them on their ass.

BTW Canuck fans are already crying conspiracy

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
"Two factors were considered in reaching this decision," Mike Murphy, the NHL's senior vice president of hockey operations, said today in a news release "The hit by Rome was clearly beyond what is acceptable in terms of how late it was delivered after Horton had released the puck and it caused a significant injury."

They finally got one right....although I hate that last part. It's about the lack of respect for the same guys you share the ice with. It's about trying to knock someones head off instead of knocking them on their ass.

BTW Canuck fans are already crying conspiracy

It was absolutely the right decision. If this was regular season it probably would have been even more games. But I agree, I absolutely hate the bolded part. That's basically saying if Horton was not hurt the penalty wouldn't be as severe, which is totally wrong.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 12:59 PM)
It was absolutely the right decision. If this was regular season it probably would have been even more games. But I agree, I absolutely hate the bolded part. That's basically saying if Horton was not hurt the penalty wouldn't be as severe, which is totally wrong.

I agree. Intent to injure should be worse than causing an injury.

My favorite sports writer hits the nail on the head again.

Canucks’ names would dishonor Cup

By Barry Rozner

When last we saw the Vancouver Canucks against the Blackhawks some six weeks ago, they were a gutless collection of whining, cheap-shot artists whose best quality was their ability to do their hair while driving to the rink — not to mention hair-pulling after they got there.

However, we must confess that with the Canucks in the Stanley Cup Finals, there’s been a change.

Oh, yeah, they’re still a gutless collection of whining, cheap-shot artists whose best quality is their ability to do their hair while driving to the rink — not to mention hair-pulling after they get there.

But now they’ve added biting and kicking. What’s next, purse throwing?

The Vancouver Canucks have been the best team in hockey all season, and for much of the season they’ve been a disgrace to the game.

It begins with their coach, Alain Vigneault, who allows headhunting tactics that can end careers and ruin lives, and there are many solid choices for the dirtiest Vancouver player.

But foremost in mind right now is Vancouver’s Aaron Rome, who ended Nathan Horton’s season Monday night with a filthy hit that targeted Horton’s head.

The hit was late, Rome left his feet, and if his intent was to hospitalize, Rome accomplished his goal.

Shockingly, the NHL got it right and has suspended Rome for the rest of the series, the longest suspension in Finals history and an appropriate punishment.

A surprise that it occurred? Not at all. Check out YouTube and you’ll find Vigneault right there for you as a player, jumping Al Secord and trying to sucker punch him before Secord planted Vigneault.

Hawks fans undoubtedly remember Kevin Bieksa in the first round running away from John Scott and then jumping noted tough guy Viktor Stalberg.

There was Raffi Torres attempting to end Brent Seabrook’s career, and being unwilling to stand and answer for it when Scott wanted to have a meeting with him.

(The despicable Torres has continued his style throughout the playoffs and leaves his feet on nearly every hit as he tries for headshots with no respect for a player’s career.)

There was Ryan Kessler jumping and slamming Patrick Kane’s head into the glass, and Alex Edler’s vicious elbow to Troy Brouwer’s head.

And, of course, who can forget Dan Hamhuis hitting Dave Bolland in the head, with Bolland just having returned from a concussion.

Hawks fans know Alex Burrows too well from his infamous hair-pulling incident, and now the legend has grown a bit with him biting the finger of Boston’s Patrice Bergeron.

“Typical, pulling hair and biting people. Sort of like a little girl,’’ Bolland said last week. “Stuff like that isn’t meant for hockey. So some of those things have to be taken care of.’’

But that’s what the Vancouver Canucks are all about. There’s the constant diving, slashing behind the play and refusal to drop their sticks.

In a word — all together now — gutless.

Yet, even after Roberto Luongo soiled himself in an 8-1 loss Monday, the Canucks are up 2-1 in the Finals and they’re the much faster and more skilled team.

It would be nearly impossible for them to choke away a 2-0 series lead with home ice, so they’ll probably win the Stanley Cup and have themselves a big party.

Perhaps then they’ll be willing to drop their sticks.

But if they do win it, they will be thought of around hockey as a less than honorable champ — the antithesis of Jonathan Toews and the Hawks a year ago.

The Canucks’ names on the Stanley Cup will only bring disgrace to the title, and tarnish the greatest trophy in sports.

They have blood on their hands and dirt on their reputations.

Win or lose, that will be the lasting legacy of these Vancouver Canucks.

And not even the Stanley Cup can wash that away.

brozner@dailyherald.com

ŸListen to Barry Rozner from 9 a.m. to noon Sundays on the Score’s “Hit and Run” show at WSCR 670-AM.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 12:41 AM)
Is there any group of fans in any sport that whine more than Canucks fans?

Red Wings fans are close. They seem to think Bettman has an anti-Detroit conspiracy.

QUOTE (supernuke @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
Winnipeg has a new GM but still no name.

Can Cheveldayoff bring Toews with him. You guy don't really want him anyway right?

No, but we have this awesome goalie with tons of experience hanging out in Switzerland right now. You can have him, nothing in return, just pay the contract.

Sometimes I forget we are stuck with Huet :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I love Bolland's quotes:

"Typical, pulling hair and biting people. Sort of like a little girl." If only we could have had Bolland for the beginning of the series.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
Sometimes I forget we are stuck with Huet :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I love Bolland's quotes:

"Typical, pulling hair and biting people. Sort of like a little girl." If only we could have had Bolland for the beginning of the series.

Only one more year!

Also, I think Cheveldayoff will do a good job in Winnipeg. Although I think Rick Dudley would have too.