2010-2011 NHL thread

Quick update from Vancouver only a half hour after the game

VANCOUVER -- Angry Canucks fans have taken to the streets of downtown Vancouver.

Outside the Canada Post on Georgia Street, an overturned Nissan was spewing 10-foot-tall flames as of 8 p.m.

Moments earlier, people danced on top of the car as others drummed and tossed plastic pop bottles at it.

A rowdy crowd of hundreds egged on the people destroying the car.

Hundreds keep approaching the car to get their friends to take pictures.

Elsewhere in the city, there are reports of fights and bonfires.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo! This is awesome. I've always been a Bruins fan! My dream has finally come to fruition.

lol me lie

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
I'm hardly a hockey fan, but can someone explain to me why they hate him?

I may be wrong but I think it has to do with Quebec & Winnipeg having their teams moved to Phoenix & Denver & all the expansion teams opening in SouthEast US instead of Canada.

So my friend posted on a girl's wall that from vancouver that we met in out travels around europe just as a joke that the stanley cup was stayin in the states, about 15 of her friends chimed in calling us f**gots and f***ers and chum, not sure what that last one means.

So that link cracked me up.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:23 PM)
I'm hardly a hockey fan, but can someone explain to me why they hate him?

Lots of reasons, many of them irrational. I think the main consensus is mostly that he is a corporate guy that doesn't care about the game, especially in Canada.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
I may be wrong but I think it has to do with Quebec & Winnipeg having their teams moved to Phoenix & Denver & all the expansion teams opening in SouthEast US instead of Canada.

Yah I believe the perception, real or false is that Bettman spearheaded the move of the NHL to all these hot sunny southern cities. And this was at the expense of cities like mine (Winnipeg) and Quebec too.

And I don't know what the deal with the crazy Vancouverites is.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 27, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
BRUINS!!!

They did everything in their power to hand Montreal this series. Just stupid penalty after stupid penalty.

I'm curious on how they'll break my heart in the next series.

My heart has been healed!

Such an amazing feeling after watching so many seasons end in frustration and disappointment. In 2004 losing game 7 at home as a #1 seed vs Montreal, losing in OT at home vs Carolina in 2009 and of course last year's collapse.

Was pretty cool seeing Vancouver fans applauding Lucic and Thomas during the Cup skate.

Edited by zenryan

Bruins Brad Marchand: "They kept whining about stuff in the papers and shooting their mouths off. ... It feels so good right now."

Bruins Brad Marchand: "We hated them so much. ... It was everything. They were diving. They hit [Horton] like that.

Now the Bruins know what that Blackhawks and their fans knew: the Canucks are garbage. For them to have had their names on the Stanley Cup would have been a disgrace to the greatest trophy in sports. THANK YOU Boston for not allowing that to happen. The Canucks and their whining, biting, diving, hooking, and so on didn't deserve the Stanley Cup. And the fact is, their rioting fans didn't deserve it either. I know the minority are the ones rioting, but most cities in this day and age can avoid such activities. But not Vancouver! It's sad though, people are being hurt and likely killed. I still (obviously) wish the United States had won the gold medal game last year, but my question now is what would have happened in that city if they had?

Back to the topic though: the Bruins are a very worthy Cup winner. The 371 day time period with the Blackhawks as the Cup winners is over (although it really ended in the 1st round, but you know what I mean), and I'm glad a worthy Cup winner is taking the reigns. Tim Thomas had one of the 5 greatest goaltending seasons in NHL history, the team won three game 7's and rebounded from the disaster that was the end of their season a year ago, and they played and won the right way. Also, I'm with IlliniKrush, it was unique watching the Stanley Cup ceremony and knowing how it feels. Much better than the feeling was not knowing.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

After blowing the Philly series, the Bruins started this playoff season by losing their first two games at home and had to go to Montreal. Then battled back from two different 2-goal deficits to win game 4. Then in game 7, they gave up the tying goal with 2 minutes left in regulation. So many times this team could have just folded up and called it a season but they kept fighting and clawing back. Then coming back in this series when just about everyone in the media was ready to crown the Canucks the champs, even though the Bruins could have easily won either/both of the first two games.

I've seen every one of my teams win a title in the past 10 years. The Canes,Bucs and Sox were all very dominant in their title game or series. And while I wont pretend and say the Bruins are my favorite team now, I would still rank them 4th out of my teams, I dont think I've ever been more prouder of a team than I am tonight.

I am mentally exhausted as a sports fan now.

QUOTE (supernuke @ Jun 15, 2011 -> 10:56 PM)
Lots of reasons, many of them irrational. I think the main consensus is mostly that he is a corporate guy that doesn't care about the game, especially in Canada.

Canucks fans feel that Bettman will not allow a Canadian team to win the cup because he makes more money if American teams win. Its all part of their grand conspiracy theory.