2010-2011 NHL thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
Watched the vids, wow how horrible. I didn't realize how crazy it got. Pathetic.

It got way the f*** out of control. Seriously, the NHL needs to think twice... if everytime the 'Nucks lose in the Stanley Cup Final this happens, how can you allow them to participate in the Stanley Cup Final?

I know, that's a bit out there, but what the f***.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
It got way the f*** out of control. Seriously, the NHL needs to think twice... if everytime the 'Nucks lose in the Stanley Cup Final this happens, how can you allow them to participate in the Stanley Cup Final?

I know, that's a bit out there, but what the f***.

This would happen in a lot of cities after championships if the police weren't prepared for it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 09:54 PM)
This would happen in a lot of cities after championships if the police weren't prepared for it.

when was the last riot prior to this? Denver in 01?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
when was the last riot prior to this? Denver in 01?

I'm sure Rock will correct me but I thought that there were several at Ohio State a few years after that.

Indiana got tear gassed in 2002 after losing in the NCAA BBall championships (I was in my room). Purdue had a tear gassing event after a football game the year before that which caught a few of my friends.

The Lakers fans were burning stuff in the streets after their 09 win, but no one was hurt. I'm still amazed that the crowd walked right past a Staples and no one yelled anything about breaking up the "Staples Center".

If we're talking about people getting hurt, the start of this season at the Giants v. Dodgers game wasn't pleasant.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
I'm sure Rock will correct me but I thought that there were several at Ohio State a few years after that.

Indiana got tear gassed in 2002 after losing in the NCAA BBall championships (I was in my room). Purdue had a tear gassing event after a football game the year before that which caught a few of my friends.

The Lakers fans were burning stuff in the streets after their 09 win, but no one was hurt. I'm still amazed that the crowd walked right past a Staples and no one yelled anything about breaking up the "Staples Center".

If we're talking about people getting hurt, the start of this season at the Giants v. Dodgers game wasn't pleasant.

I don't live in Columbus so no idea. I remember they burned a few couches the last time they lost to Michigan 7 years ago, but not sure.

I don't recall something this violent though in any sport.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
I don't recall something this violent though in any sport.

I'm not sure about quite "This" violent any time recently...because usually the police here break out the tear gas first.

1992 Chicago Bulls was a mess. Cars overturned and burning on Rush st.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
LOL, best picture yet (dynamic, can't embed)

http://dailydish.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451...ef720970c-popup

Considering the situation, I probally shouldn' think this but that is a great picture for alot of reasons. It looks like a screen shot from a movie almost.

Edited by Nyx81

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
arrest me please. Could this be used in court? I would think so.

http://todmaffin.visibli.com/share/7y9AoY

In Carbondale during the 2000 Halloween riots the police used videotape by the local tv stations as well as whatever video was submitted to them by store owners and citizens to identify the kids breaking windows/stealing/burning things etc. Im sure if they really wanted to they could use a lot of this stuff to bust people, just depends if they want to do the legwork to find them.

One of the problems I have with yesterday's riots is that it was 100% premeditated. I was watching the live coverage last night on CTV and a reporter noted that some of the fans she talked to before the game were looking forward to recreating the '94 Vancouver riots if the Canucks lost. It only lends credence to Steve's comments, the police were "ready" for rioting, not nearly as prepared as they needed to be but they were well aware that some s*** was going to go down if the Canucks lost, there was plenty of buzz before the game even began.

It's not totally out there to say Vancouver can not be trusted, they seem to be the rioting type and now it's becoming a tradition.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)

Ugh, hard to watch sucker punch.

Ya, it was a sucker-punch, but the guy that got knocked out was also one of the guys who was destroying s***. The guy in the all-black was trying to stop a bunch of people from demolishing an overturned car. There's another video of the same guy doing it and saying "This is out city." Still, he's at fault too, for throwing the first punch, but who knows, hard to judge off of a short video. A lot of people are defending the guy in the all-black.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
One of the problems I have with yesterday's riots is that it was 100% premeditated. I was watching the live coverage last night on CTV and a reporter noted that some of the fans she talked to before the game were looking forward to recreating the '94 Vancouver riots if the Canucks lost. It only lends credence to Steve's comments, the police were "ready" for rioting, not nearly as prepared as they needed to be but they were well aware that some s*** was going to go down if the Canucks lost, there was plenty of buzz before the game even began.

It's not totally out there to say Vancouver can not be trusted, they seem to be the rioting type and now it's becoming a tradition.

You are 100% correct. This quote from the police chief sums it up.

Police chief Jim Chu said nine officers were injured, including one who required 14 stitches after being hit with a thrown brick. Chu said some officers suffered bite marks. He said 15 cars were burned, including two police cars.

He called those who incited the riot "criminals and anarchists" and said officers identified some in the crowd as the same people who smashed windows and caused trouble through the same streets the day after the 2010 Winter Olympics opened.

"These were people who came equipped with masks, goggles and gasoline," he said. "They had a plan."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 04:19 AM)
You are 100% correct. This quote from the police chief sums it up.

Police chief Jim Chu said nine officers were injured, including one who required 14 stitches after being hit with a thrown brick. Chu said some officers suffered bite marks. He said 15 cars were burned, including two police cars.

I didn't know the Vancouver players got involved too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 07:09 AM)
Ya, it was a sucker-punch, but the guy that got knocked out was also one of the guys who was destroying s***. The guy in the all-black was trying to stop a bunch of people from demolishing an overturned car. There's another video of the same guy doing it and saying "This is out city." Still, he's at fault too, for throwing the first punch, but who knows, hard to judge off of a short video. A lot of people are defending the guy in the all-black.

There's a vid of the guy in black turning a car over too.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)

Ugh, hard to watch sucker punch.

This is the original dude involved and even though he's drunk as s*** he's trying to stop the rioters. So I'm guessing he was trying to stop the kid that got sucker punched from doing something stupid as well. Kid that got sucker punched most likely deserved it, but the kid that threw the punch was probably just a punk looking to hit someone. Actually I jumped this video ahead to the dude in black, but if you watch from the beginning that's where ya see they guy that got sucker punched trashing the car.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
Wow, so white people do riot?According to the US media they don't...as if they never heard of the word hooligan.

They weren't rioting, they were just stocking up on supplies and removing debris from the street. And creating new doorways by breaking windows.