Adam Dunn Trade rumor thread

TheChrisSamsa

Via Twitter: Buster_ESPN: The Nats have reached crossroads with Adam Dunn:Sign him or trade him. If a trade, he White Sox are a great fit; Sun-Times says talks began.

Dunn as an everyday DH and occasional 1b or RF looks like the missing piece to me.

Olney* misspelled in the byline here, my bad.

Edited by southsider2k5

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same mindset as others on this board that Dunn would be awesome in a Sox jersey, but I'd hesitate to give up very much for him considering he would be a 3 month rental. Unless the Sox could sign him to an extension...which seems unlikely considering the cash he would command.

I'm not sure what the Nationals would be looking for in return, but it seems many teams covet young pitching. That said, I agree about Hudson. Are we willing to give up Flowers, though? Would they be interested in a catching prospect?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
I'm not sure what the Nationals would be looking for in return, but it seems many teams covet young pitching. That said, I agree about Hudson. Are we willing to give up Flowers, though? Would they be interested in a catching prospect?

I don't think a catching prospect would be incredibly appealing to them. I think they expect Bryce Harper to hit the big leagues pretty quickly.

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:04 AM)
I don't think a catching prospect would be incredibly appealing to them. I think they expect Bryce Harper to hit the big leagues pretty quickly.

I'm pretty sure Harper has already been moved to the outfield.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)

I'd be willing to part with Hudson for Dunn. Adding Sale in this years draft lessens the need for Hudson. Sale seems to have a higher ceiling than Hudson. The best Hudson will ever be is a #3 ML pitcher. Not that that's a bad thing as those type of guys are going to give you 200 innings and 12-15 wins a year. Just saying they have someone else in the minor league system now that if needed could step up next season in Freddy Garcia's spot.

If you told me it was Hudson and one lower level prospect to get Dunn today I'd ask where do I sign.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Sounds like Dunn wants to test FA next year.

Sadly, I just don't see the Sox giving up the pieces to land Dunn.

Dunn will be a Type A free agent next year and won't take ARB. The White Sox would stand to gain draft picks from him walking.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
I'd be willing to part with Hudson for Dunn. Adding Sale in this years draft lessens the need for Hudson. Sale seems to have a higher ceiling than Hudson. The best Hudson will ever be is a #3 ML pitcher. Not that that's a bad thing as those type of guys are going to give you 200 innings and 12-15 wins a year. Just saying they have someone else in the minor league system now that if needed could step up next season in Freddy Garcia's spot.

If you told me it was Hudson and one lower level prospect to get Dunn today I'd ask where do I sign.

At this point Washington is going to ask for everything to test out the desperation.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
I'm pretty sure Harper has already been moved to the outfield.

Last I heard, they still hadn't made any decisions on where he'll play. He's a capable 3b, OF and catcher. If Dunn leaves, they'll have a hole in the corner-outfield though, so they may be interested in a catcher.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
Dunn will be a Type A free agent next year and won't take ARB. The White Sox would stand to gain draft picks from him walking.

Which is why his price for any team trading for him will be high...the team acquiring him needs to give up something worth substantially more than 2 draft picks.

If I were the Nats, I wouldn't trade him straight up for Hudson. It'd have to be Hudson + Flowers + some A-baller that I like.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:17 AM)
Which is why his price for any team trading for him will be high...the team acquiring him needs to give up something worth substantially more than 2 draft picks.

If I were the Nats, I wouldn't trade him straight up for Hudson. It'd have to be Hudson + Flowers + some A-baller that I like.

That's a lot to give up. How would the picks work...what rounds, etc.?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
That's a lot to give up. How would the picks work...what rounds, etc.?

The Nats will get at the very worst a sandwich pick (just after the first round) and an early 2nd rounder. The Nats could get at best a sandwich pick and a mid-first rounder. If Dunn signs with a team that is drafting in spot 1-14 in the first round, they are awarded a "Sandwich" pick and that team's 2nd round pick. If Dunn signs with a team drafting in spot 15-30, the Nats receive that team's 1st round pick and the same sandwich pick.

In a supposedly deep draft next year, those picks would have a ton of value to any team trying to build through the draft.

The Blue Jays got a sup. pick and a 3rd rounder for Type A free agent AJ Burnett in the 2009 draft, f***ing Yankees. The Angels took their 1st for Tex and Milwaukee got their 2nd for Sabathia that left the 3rd as the highest pick available.

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Last I heard, they still hadn't made any decisions on where he'll play. He's a capable 3b, OF and catcher. If Dunn leaves, they'll have a hole in the corner-outfield though, so they may be interested in a catcher.

No they won't. Dunn plays 1b

If they think Sales is the real deal, I could see Hudson + junk for Dunn. He can't command that much, its a 3 month rental.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

Knowing Ozzie, he'll end up playing Dunn too much at 1B as part of the rotating DH. Hell, he might even put him in RF. It's as if our current RFer isn't bad enough at defense...

After watching last night's game, Dunn is not the only thing this team needs. We have way too many other automatic outs other than Jones/Kotsay.

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:41 AM)
Via Twitter: Buster_ESPN: The Nats have reached crossroads with Adam Dunn:Sign him or trade him. If a trade, he White Sox are a great fit; Sun-Times says talks began.

Dunn as an everyday DH and occasional 1b or RF looks like the missing piece to me.

Olney* misspelled in the byline here, my bad.

fixed

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Is anyone here concerned about Dunn's strike outs and decreasing walk rate? Plus the .276 batting average is the highest of his career.

Yes. I'd like to see Kenny pursue someone else that won't cost us Hudson and Flowers.

Is anyone here concerned about Dunn's strike outs and decreasing walk rate? Plus the .276 batting average is the highest of his career.

I'm concerned that he's already peaked in regards to homeruns and RBI's.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:04 AM)
The Nationals like Jesus Flores a lot and are pretty invested in this Norris kid they have down in AA. I think pitching would be going to Nationals either way.

Oh...okay, thought you were talking about me for a minute. Derek Norris, duh. :lolhitting

Dunn is what he is, and the guy has always had a high K rate. The decreasing walk total is worth noting, but I would be interested to see the pitches he is getting when he has Quentin/Konerko/Rios around him in the lineup as opposed to Zimmerman and Josh Willingham. You arent acquiring Dunn to hit for a high average, you are acquiring Dunn to hit the ball over the light tower