You can never have enough starters

JDsDirtySox

The Diamondbacks are 17.5 out.

They just fired their GM and Manager.

They are going no where fast.

I would love to see the Sox call and check on Dan Haren... and if he is too rich, ask for Edwin Jackson.

Both have struggled this year... but both are quality young pitchers.

Haren would be the piece that could put us over the top.

Jackson would be a piece that could help us if something goes wrong.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
Well its not like Marcum is a top of the order guy. We probably lose a win or more going from Peavy to Hudson. Pitching is definitely an issue and a lot of these guys won't require emptying the farm.

Shaun Marcum is an excellent #2 starter and under team control for 2 more years. The only reason the Jays would deal him is if they got a King's ransom. I don't even see how we match up with the Jays trade wise.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
Seeing as how they're 7 games out of the wild card we really should go hard after Josh Johnson right now. He's look pretty good in the middle of our rotation.

I think you're kidding. Are you kidding?

Johnson would probably be the first or second-best pitcher in our rotation. I don't think the Marlins signed him to an extension just so they could trade him after the team had one bad half-season.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:14 PM)
I think you're kidding. Are you kidding?

Johnson would probably be the first or second-best pitcher in our rotation. I don't think the Marlins signed him to an extension just so they could trade him after the team had one bad half-season.

Why would I kid? He'd look pretty good slotted behind Freddy. Dude makes way too much money to play for the Marlins and that team sucks anyway so I say we send Jordan Danks, Retherford, Morel and Jeff Marquez to Florida and pay the rest of his salary. They get plenty of good, cheap young talent and we get a pretty good starting pitcher for the stretch run. We're happy, Loria's happy. Everyone's happy. Get it done KW!

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
Why would I kid? He'd look pretty good slotted behind Freddy. Dude makes way too much money to play for the Marlins and that team sucks anyway so I say we send Jordan Danks, Retherford, Nunez and Jeff Marquez to Florida and pay the rest of his salary. They get plenty of good, cheap young talent and we get a pretty good starting pitcher for the stretch run. We're happy, Loria's happy. Everyone's happy.

I think we'd probably have to throw in Randy Williams. I can't see the Marlins saying no to that deal, as constructed.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
I think we'd probably have to throw in Randy Williams. I can't see the Marlins saying no to that deal, as constructed.

Only if they included Mike Stanton. I hear he's supposed to be a solid relief pitcher.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)

Yeah because the Marlins want some terrible, mid 30's reliever? Give me a break. They're looking for good, young, cheap talent and that's exactly what Jor. Danks, Retherford, Morel and Marquez are.

Danks is a toolsy outfielder who at the very bare minimum is a good national league 4th outfielder thanks to his speed and defense and thanks to his athleticism and pedigree he has some very nice upside.

Retherford is a very versatile, grindy ballplayer who reminds me of Craig Counsell and I'm sure the Marlins would love to have that guy back only 15 years younger, well that's what CJ is.

Morel is an excellent defensive 3B with a great eye, very good contact numbers and should develop some power, if he reaches his full potential he's a borderline all-star 3B, something the Marlins could use.

Jeff Marquez is a left handed starter who could easily work out of the pen as a long man or a good lefty MR. Talented left handed pitching is hard to find and that's what we have here.

There's no good reason why they wouldn't do this deal, they can't afford Johnson long term. That's a certainty and they should strike while the iron is hot: he's on a roll right now but that won't last forever, they should get the best package of young talent they can before he reverts back to his normal self. Trust me, they'd bite.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
Yeah because the Marlins want some terrible, mid 30's reliever? Give me a break. They're looking for good, young, cheap talent and that's exactly what Jor. Danks, Retherford, Morel and Marquez are.

Danks is a toolsy outfielder who at the very bare minimum is a good national league 4th outfielder thanks to his speed and defense and thanks to his athleticism and pedigree he has some very nice upside.

Retherford is a very versatile, grindy ballplayer who reminds me of Craig Counsell and I'm sure the Marlins would love to have that guy back only 15 years younger, well that's what CJ is.

Morel is an excellent defensive 3B with a great eye, very good contact numbers and should develop some power, if he reaches his full potential he's a borderline all-star 3B, something the Marlins could use.

Jeff Marquez is a left handed starter who could easily work out of the pen as a long man or a good lefty MR. Talented left handed pitching is hard to find and that's what we have here.

There's no good reason why they wouldn't do this deal, they can't afford Johnson long term. That's a certainty and they should strike while the iron is hot: he's on a roll right now but that won't last forever, they should get the best package of young talent they can before he reverts back to his normal self. Trust me, they'd bite.

you're ridiculous.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)

Marquez is right-handed, but I love this post. Complete 180 from the hating post lately. Nicely done.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
You really missed that one? Ugh, you have a lot to learn in the ways of sarcasm.

I didn't know that was added to the sarcasm as Kal pretty much got the other guys "right." Usually the man is incredibly spot on with players even the hands they throw so perhaps.

Give me a break, my head hasn't been completely there since my friend was nearly killed alright. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

Marquez is a RHP. Regardless, I still don't see how they would part with Johnson for that. Morel is the only piece to that trade that has upside. Danks is heating up again, but he hasn't shown much other than speed and his glove.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
I didn't know that was added to the sarcasm as Kal pretty much got the other guys "right." Usually the man is incredibly spot on with players even the hands they throw so perhaps.

Give me a break, my head hasn't been completely there since my friend was nearly killed alright. :lol:

*hugs*

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)

Because my getting Jeff Marquez's handedness wrong isn't a dead giveaway that I'm doing a bit?

Lol. I'm assuming this is supposed to be in green. I don't post enough around here to be able to catch all the sarcasm.