Dan Haren traded to the Angels

macsandz

He does have $33.3MM remaining on his contract and is having a down season. But this guy has had success in the AL, is a work-horse (200 IP+) and can be dominant.

It would cost a bit, but it's also a block. It's well known both the Tigers and Twins are shopping for starters.

Edited by bucket-of-suck

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we got Dan Haren, I would die of joy.

It would take something like: Hudson, Flowers, Torres, Morel, Short, and then maybe Gilmore on top of that.

But I'd do it in a heart beat. With a healthy Peavy and Sale in the wings, that's the scariest 1-6 in the majors, far more then what we thought this years team would.

Only problem is I don't know the trade relations since Byrnes was fired.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
sounds like Detoilet has the inside track on Haren. I think he winds up there before the deadline. I like his chances of helping them more than Oswalt helping Minny (if you believe he'll go there). Haren's proven he can pitch in the AL.

Detroit's system is as bad or worse then the Sox -per Kevin Goldstein Baseball Prospectus.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
Detroit's system is as bad or worse then the Sox -per Kevin Goldstein Baseball Prospectus.

Detroit can take on some huge salaries though, which might help them acquire Haren if they take a bad contract back from Arizona as well. Tigers have guys like Jacob Turner to trade.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
Yes, because they're getting a ton of salary off the books after this season (Bonderman, Willis, and Robertson)

I've looked at the sheets. Yeah, they lose some baggage, but our payroll obligations for 2011 aren't significantly different than theirs.

Willis - $11.726 mill

Robertson - $9.6 mill

Everett - $1.55 mill

Bonderman - $12.5 mill

Damon - $8 mill

Inge - $6.6 mill

TOTAL - $49.976

They also have a few players they could non-tender as well, such as Miner ($950K), Seay ($2.45 mill), and Brad Thomas ($1 mill). Maggs also has an $15 mill option that vests with another 235 PAs.

They'll have some money to spend next season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
How's their attendance been so far?

1.36M... about 200,000 ahead of us. (They're 13th in MLB. We're 18th.)

I suspect we'll end up pretty close by year end if we stay in the race.

And if Maggs' option vests, their payroll obligations for next year will be basically the same as ours.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
Can the White Sox really afford to have 3 starting pitchers (Peavy, Buerhle and a guy like Haren) making 40%+ of the payroll?

IF they had a number of young guys filling in the lineup/rotation, sure.

Problem of course is...you kinda give those guys up in the process of getting Haren.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Can the White Sox really afford to have 3 starting pitchers (Peavy, Buerhle and a guy like Haren) making 40%+ of the payroll?

Buehrle is coming off the books after next year, and even if we did want to bring him back (odds are he'd probably sign with STL to end his career anyway), he isn't anywhere near a 14 million dollar investment per year anymore.

So yeah, contract shouldn't/wouldn't be that big of a deal. The big deal is having the pieces to be able to get him, and we probably don't.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
I just think we need a big hitter WAY more than we need to replace Hudson

If you can get Haren without giving up Dayan (and since they have Allen, that shouldn't be hard) I'd take Dan Haren + Omar/Dayan at 3rd and Dayan/Teahen at DH than Dunn + Hudson and Teahen at 3rd any day of the week.

I heard AJ Hinch on the radio today talking about Haren. He said they wanted him to throw his cutter less this year and get his fastball up a couple MPH into the 92-93 range. Maybe that's his reason for struggling a bit. Coop seems to have the opposite approach and favors movement over mph. It sounds like a good fit to me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
The Twins are interested too, but Haren can block a trade to both the Twins and Tigers. That'd be stellar if they agreed to a trade and Haren turned it down.

Kinda like Peavy, but without a few months to reconsider.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/dan-har...ondbacks-072310

From the sounds of it, the Yanks may be on the verge of dealing for Haren. I haven't heard a word on the Sox being in on Haren. But they could afford him, with PK coming off the books, if Viciedo and his $2.2 mill were included, if the sox traded Jenks and re-signed Putz to a larger deal, and Mark gone after 2011.

Most likely, the sox aren't involved. They need to sign Danks to a deal