White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm completely confused. I don't see how we would trade Huddy plus prospects for Edwin Jackson. I"ve long liked Jackson, but I'd be the first to admit that you have to be concerned at how Arizona over-worked him on the no-hitter as well as the fact that stastically he has never reached his potential.

Does he have great stuff, absolutely, but can he pitch, not exactly great. Would he look good in our rotation, certainly, but not at the expense of Hudson. Hudson could get us better pieces.

And I will say this, I'd rather keep Jackson than go out and spin Jackson for Dunn if it meant adding additional prospects, unless of course Kenny has some brilliant deal lined up for another starter.

I'm curious to find out what Kenny has cooking? I wonder if it is Andre Ethier.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:49 AM)
So lets just say for a second that Cowley ISN'T full of s***, have we witnessed some incredibly impressive controlled leaks from the Sox front office to force the hand of another club?

that wouldnt shock me. He's VERY good at what he does.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
He's proven what? That he's an extremely mediocre A.L. pitcher? Yeah, I'll pass on that.

ERA bites people in the ass once again.

A 4.3 FIP starter for the past two years at the back end of your rotation is more than acceptable. That said, Hudson was probably due for a 4.5 FIP this year...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)

A 4.3 FIP starter for the past two years at the back end of your rotation is more than acceptable. That said, Hudson was probably due for a 4.5 FIP this year...

$8.35 million for that back end of the rotation guy next year though, especially when you probably only have $15 million to spend total and have another 7 spots to fill, is a terrifically bad idea.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
Meanwhile Merkin's piece on Jackson - everything we already know. http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/20...ut_will_he.html

Merkin is worthless for rumors/breaking news. Somehow Cowley is the only guy in town who does. What exactley does Phil Rogers do? When's the last trade he broke?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)

That would be my biggest problem with this, not that Jackson is a horrible pitcher (though he's overpaid at $8.35M) but that you're giving up 6.3 years of Hudson (3.3-4.3 super cheap) for 1.3 of Jackson (0 cheap) when one could argue that they're comparable pitchers going forward.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
$8.35 million for that back end of the rotation guy next year though, especially when you probably only have $15 million to spend total and have another 7 spots to fill, is a terrifically bad idea.

I understand that. But that 4.3 FIP is worth 3.5 WAR. 3.5 WAR @ $3.5 million/WAR is worth somewhere around $12 million.

Not saying he should get that money, but it's not a huge overpay.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
I have to imagine, if the Sox did give up Hudson, we would be getting some decent amounts of cash back.

Not so much:

BNightengale

#mlb # If deal gets done, the White Sox would send Daniel Hudson and prospect for Jackson,and take on Jackson's entire $8.75 million salary 1 minute ago via web

The D-Backs are in no position to include cash.