White Sox Acquire Edwin Jackson

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
I'm only asking this...have we ever acquired a hitter on the advice of Walker, because they noticed a mechanical flaw or adjustment holding them back?

Now if this happened with Rios or Quentin or whoever, that's great...I just never heard about it.

With Cooper, they have found the flaws in Thornton and Floyd pretty quickly (not sure about Danks) and it seems they have an idea what advice they want to give Jackson too.

The White Sox have been playing over their heads for weeks, the offense is actually looking, at worst, at least middle-tier in the AL and nobody could make lemonade out of Jones and Kotsay, I am just curious why it's easier to "fix" pitchers than hitters?

If you searched the database, how many COOP WILL FIX HIM posts have there been since they days of Loiaza and Marte? I would guess hundreds, if not thousands...

i agree with you, i hate these coop will fix him posts

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
"Coop will fix him" has become a cliche'

Sometimes a cliche is a cliche for a definite reason. =)

I like that they see a flaw in him and that to me says they can help him reach his potential.

Woot woot.

Put me in the "I love the coop will fix him post if there is logic behind it" camp.

I don't understand this trade. Edwin Jackson has ALWAYS been severely overrated in my opinion. I would take Daniel Hudson at this point in this career with his low contract 10 times out of 10. Why are we going to pay Edwin Jackson 8M in 2011 when we could have paid Hudson something like $600K. We could have used the 7M difference on other players where we have a need (such as 3B, DH, or 1B if PK leaves). Horrible.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
Followed always by:

David AAAAAARDSMA, Mike MacDougal and Sisco say hi!

Never saw the logic behind those "fixes."

I never heard them say anything about seeing a definitive flaw in any of those guys.

Also, it takes a flexable student for a teacher to be successful.

Furthermore, even if the Sox had acquired Jackson to use him for a Dunn deal, that makes no sense for the Sox. That leaves us with a severe lack of pitching depth. Don't give me that bs argument that we can skip the 5th spot much of the rest of the season. The problem is two fold. First, our good starters could use an extra day off to stay well rested. Second, and more importantly, if for some horrible reason we had another pitching injury then you can toss out all odds of making the playoffs. Our 4th starter would be Carlos Torres in that scenario.

Yikes. I just don't get this deal. Aside from the points i just mentioned why it would be asinine to move Jackson for Dunn, say the Sox ended up doing that. Hudson, Holmberg, and a prospect for Dunn is not a good deal in my opinion. Doesn't Dunn (as of right now) equate to just under a type A free agent. I think his currently ranking is a high type b.

Edited by Mattchoo

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
I don't understand this trade. Edwin Jackson has ALWAYS been severely overrated in my opinion. I would take Daniel Hudson at this point in this career with his low contract 10 times out of 10. Why are we going to pay Edwin Jackson 8M in 2011 when we could have paid Hudson something like $600K. We could have used the 7M difference on other players where we have a need (such as 3B, DH, or 1B if PK leaves). Horrible.

1. Because they feel Jackson gives them a much better shot to win this year and next...

2. They feel that Hudson will wipe out the bullpen with too many early exits, largely due to command issues and elevated pitch counts.

3. Cooper and KW saw something they didn't like in Hudson and decided to sell as high as possible before the air was out of the balloon....

4. The White Sox actually do have the money to spend, or JR wouldn't have allowed it...and you have to know that JR was also taking into account how this would impact bringing back two of his favorites in Konerko and AJ.

5. We have Flowers/Teahen/Viciedo to DH

6. We can move Quentin in to 1B as well if he doesn't adjust well to possible DH duties

7. We can always bring Castro back

8. In addition to Vizquel, Teahen and Viciedo for 3B, we also have Morel as a possibility

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
Furthermore, even if the Sox had acquired Jackson to use him for a Dunn deal, that makes no sense for the Sox. That leaves us with a severe lack of pitching depth. Don't give me that bs argument that we can skip the 5th spot much of the rest of the season. The problem is two fold. First, our good starters could use an extra day off to stay well rested. Second, and more importantly, if for some horrible reason we had another pitching injury then you can toss out all odds of making the playoffs. Our 4th starter would be Carlos Torres in that scenario.

Yikes. I just don't get this deal. Aside from the points i just mentioned why it would be asinine to move Jackson for Dunn, say the Sox ended up doing that. Hudson, Holmberg, and a prospect for Dunn is not a good deal in my opinion. Doesn't Dunn (as of right now) equate to just under a type A free agent. I think his currently ranking is a high type b.

If Rizzo was asking for Hudson+Viciedo for Dunn and we traded Jackson for Dunn straight up. We would essentially have traded Hudson+Holmberg for Dunn and that's a successful move. Problem is Rizzo is trying to leverage his position by continuing to ask for more, but there has to be some interest because I can't see KW playing to a GMs hand like that. Unless there was an agreement and Rizzo reneged on it, in which case KW should rightfully kick his teeth in.

I looked at Jackson's record the last three years vs AL teams (not including the Sox) and Jackson is 29-14. He is 4-0 vs Cleveland and he beat Detroit this season,two teams we play this year. He is 1-4 vs the Sox, which I think is why Sox fans think he is so bad. But for some reason he has struggled much more vs the NL than the AL. He is a power pitcher(has the 4th rated fastball velocity in MLB according to Fangraphs,behind only Jiminez,Verlander and Jock Johnson), and the NL is always said to be a fastball hitting league,so maybe that is why.

He will cost the Sox 9.5 million in salary over the next 1.33 years, but if he wins at his recent pace vs AL teams he could go like 17-8 over that period. Not bad at all. Lets hope that Cooper can get him to throw more strikes. If he can, he can be overpowering with that 97mph heat,which is what really works in October.

i know he's not popular here but LOL at cowley digging on rogers:

cst_sox In other shocking news, Phillip didn't like the trade, as the Trib Tower points its finger down on the South Side.

at least he's an equal-opportunity a--hole.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
i know he's not popular here but LOL at cowley digging on rogers:

cst_sox In other shocking news, Phillip didn't like the trade, as the Trib Tower points its finger down on the South Side.

at least he's an equal-opportunity a--hole.

Really, it's ok to be that much of a jerk in public to other sportswriters?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
The Sun Times, obviously.

they aren't editing his twitter feed, so they may or may not be ok with it.

but frankly, if he's driving traffic and generating interest, they probably are ok.

such is life in a dying business.

From Cowley's Twitter

By the way, privately Sox felt that Hudson was a future No. 5 starter/middle reliever at best. Sorry Phillip, do some work.

Sounds like they weren't high on him at all. And I know most people here hate Cowley, but I love the guy. He's hilarious.

I hope Edwin Jackson will be able to pitch better that what he has done his career because that's 8Mil we could have saved by letting Hudson develop. Dealing Hudson would have been better if it was for more of a better pitcher.