White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:27 PM)
Didnt KW pull this same thing around the time of acquiring Peavy? Mention walkups in your public quotes to milk the trade pressures for all it's worth financially....

"Whenever I've talked to (Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf), it's less about money even though we are stretched right now," Williams said, speaking in general terms. "We are stretched, and quite frankly we're looking at walkups every day to see exactly what we're going to have available to us. But he certainly hasn't given me any reason to think there are any restrictions right now on dollars."

eh, the Deadspin docs just confirmed a lot what I thought about MLB finances, and on top of that, in the final analysis they said the holy grail of an MLB team financially is the equity you have in it, JRs group has a crap ton of equity in it.

So the latest on Manny is that we will find out by the end of the day who put in a claim if any.

There is some press out there saying that Dodgers who won couple of games recently might not be willing to give up Manny anymore because they are 5GB in the NL wild card race now. And another source claims Manny and Boras will try to use the NTC to guarantee a 1 year extension for 2011.

Stuff got a little complicated, however I have a feeling we will know much more by the end of the day.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
So the latest on Manny is that we will find out by the end of the day who put in a claim if any.

There is some press out there saying that Dodgers who won couple of games recently might not be willing to give up Manny anymore because they are 5GB in the NL wild card race now. And another source claims Manny and Boras will try to use the NTC to guarantee a 1 year extension for 2011.

Stuff got a little complicated, however I have a feeling we will know much more by the end of the day.

5 GB with 4 teams ahead of them. That's a tough place to be. Some Sox fans are ready to give up being 3.5 back behind just 1 team.

Looks like we may know before that. Heymen says we should know by 1230. Sit back, relax, and strap it down this could be a great day.

SI_JonHeyman manny deadline is 1:30 et today. should be interesting. unless theres prearranged deal, still cant see how someone pays the $4.3 mil left

1 minute ago

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)

We probably will know much more by the end of the day...but remember, we'll probably know nothing official at all. If Manny has passed through completely, we won't hear about it officially through anything but leaks. If Manny has been claimed by someone, we won't know officially which team has claimed him unless the Dodgers immediately let him go, and they still have another 2 days to work out a trade even if we did claim him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
We probably will know much more by the end of the day...but remember, we'll probably know nothing official at all. If Manny has passed through completely, we won't hear about it officially through anything but leaks. If Manny has been claimed by someone, we won't know officially which team has claimed him unless the Dodgers immediately let him go, and they still have another 2 days to work out a trade even if we did claim him.

Loks Like the Dodgers may hold onto Manny, at least for the weekend. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-lat...m-August-080110

They're behind 4 teams, what a bunch of chumps.

QUOTE (Special K @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:06 AM)
Loks Like the Dodgers may hold onto Manny, at least for the weekend. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/MLB-lat...m-August-080110

They're behind 4 teams, what a bunch of chumps.

that could be them trying to get a player they want from a team. Early reports this month had them dumping him no matter what, they don't want him on the team anymore.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
that report makes sense, there's been reports all month both sides are flat out done with each other.

I wonder if he's even saying that he won't ask for an extension in a trade? That's what I first took from it, but maybe it was just in reference to the Dodgers.

On a side note, one baseball figurehead said that Manny might be in the market for $6 or $7 million next year as a DH. Think he'd be worth that in a Sox uniform?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
On a side note, one baseball figurehead said that Manny might be in the market for $6 or $7 million next year as a DH. Think he'd be worth that in a Sox uniform?

Without some sort of insurance plan to cover my tail if he wound up missing 2/3 of the season with injury, no I don't think he'd be worth that. If he played 600 PA's, he'd probably be worth that.

SI_JonHeyman #yanks will not be claiming manny. they think they have enough dhs and older players. "he could get hot,'' bot not worth it for them

5 minutes ago

With TB and the Yanks out the AL market for ManRam is shrinking. Interesting.

Also, According to heymens earlier tweet tht I posted, the deadline for Manny is over at 1230 our time. So we should be hearing more very soon.