White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
I think the chances are good that he could be traded in August. It just makes much more sense for them to wait, unless they are given a very good prospect to encourage them to trade him today.

The that. =)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
I'm not giving KW credit for being interesting and making things fun. You gotta get s*** done. And it's looking more and more like I only upgrade is a guy with an ERA over 5 and just overall mediocre pitcher.

Agreed, at the end of the day, being close to deals doesn't mean anything. He needs to get something done, or him and Ozzie deserve even more heat for their decisions during this last offseason.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
I'm not giving KW credit for being interesting and making things fun. You gotta get s*** done. And it's looking more and more like the only upgrade is a guy with an ERA over 5 and just overall mediocre pitcher.

maybe before the non-waiver deadline, but it's not like he can't do anything after 3pm today.

Also, look at the names he was in on, those are major impact bats, and seemingly a grand total of one is moving and that is a guy with a NTC. You don't get s*** done just to get s*** done, there has to be a point that you walk away from the table.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
I'm not giving KW credit for being interesting and making things fun. You gotta get s*** done. And it's looking more and more like the only upgrade is a guy with an ERA over 5 and just overall mediocre pitcher.

Ok and are you going to complain when he gives up Viciedo and takes on a big contract? Yes you will. Anyone can get things done if they are willing to break the bank. That doesn't make it smart. If you can get manny for cheaper than Dunn then do it. Otherwise it probably isn't worth it and you wait for waiver deals.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
Agreed, at the end of the day, being close to deals doesn't mean anything. He needs to get something done, or him and Ozzie deserve even more heat for their decisions during this last offseason.

They are 58-44. They deserve no heat. None.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)

Relax.

If he doesn't get anything done by 4 PM, he still has the entire month of August to get something done. Trust me, nearly every player in the Major Leagues is put through trade waivers, so he'll have plenty of opportunities to try and strike a deal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)

Man, you and J4L are almost impossible right now....you guys are just unfair.

Yes, we should have signed Thome.

But that's over with.

I don't know what you want out of Kenny right now. These rentals aren't worth what teams are asking for and yet you insist that we land one of these rentals.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
maybe before the non-waiver deadline, but it's not like he can't do anything after 3pm today.

Also, look at the names he was in on, those are major impact bats, and seemingly a grand total of one is moving and that is a guy with a NTC. You don't get s*** done just to get s*** done, there has to be a point that you walk away from the table.

And that's why you don't go into a season with Mark Kotsay as your primary DH.

QUOTE (CWSOX45 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
Relax.

If he doesn't get anything done by 4 PM, he still has the entire month of August to get something done. Trust me, nearly every player in the Major Leagues is put through trade waivers, so he'll have plenty of opportunities to try and strike a deal.

Yes, but other teams will now know the names and attempt to block. It happens and we all know that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)

But that's over with.

I don't know what you want out of Kenny right now. These rentals aren't worth what teams are asking for and yet you insist that we land one of these rentals.

I could understand it if we didn't have the 3rd best offense in the AL in July, but I mean it's not like we're not playing good ball on offense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)

the milk was spilled months ago. crying about it now wont change a thing

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)

But that's over with.

Agreed. And if we pull a Morel for Dunn trade, people will be upset that we gave up too much. We all saw how upset people are still after Hudson for Jackson.

I'm happy with KW standing pat if it means us not severely overpaying for someone on a rental.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
Our offense, even with the mess of Kotsay, Jones, and AJ, showed they were more than good enough to get the job done in July. The question is if they can keep it up.

The answer is no.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)

But that's over with.

The Sox should have never been in the position they're in today. When they went with the DH by committee, they said that if it didn't work, they could then acquire someone at the deadline. The thing is, hearing everything about KW makes it seem like he knows more than anyone that he needs to find another bat.

Who do we have which we could give the Dodgers - that would allow them to get better in their chances for right now?

They want to make the playoffs and are making a push to get better.

They'd also have some explaining to do from a PR perspective if they traded manny.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)

If nothing happens it is not due to KW trying. It's clear he has he had a deal for Berkman, wants Dunn badly, inquired on Manny. Like I said give him the benefit of the doubt

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
The Sox should have never been in the position they're in today. When they went with the DH by committee, they said that if it didn't work, they could then acquire someone at the deadline. The thing is, hearing everything about KW makes it seem like he knows more than anyone that he needs to find another bat.

you keep repeating this. we know

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)

well they could have gotten Johnny Damon if they really wanted to break the bank, and they're 1 1/2 in first right now with the complete disaster that is Mark Kotsay, they deserve no credit for that? As much as I wanted and like Damon as a player he would not make a significant impact like the three bats the Sox were talking about or someone they may get with that money in the next two hours or by the end of August.

Again, I imagine if they want to move Dayan and Santos they could get a lot done right now, but then posters would complain they gave up too much.

They haven't been perfect on all their roster decisions this year or any year, but absolutely no GM ever is. Putz was a hell of a signing, the work they've done with Santos and then trusting him to be a big arm in the pen has been terrific, the work with Rios and his output this season has been tremendous, for the money they're getting Omar and Andruw have contributed.

Obviously can't hide Peavy's injury and the Teahen and Kotsay suckfest, but the team is still in 1st place and aggressively trying to get better.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:10 PM)
His nick name is, Mr. Pessimism....

It's a pretty good preamble to a pessimistic statement. =)

eh, Im seeing redundance more than pessimism. We all know they f***ed up with the rotating DH, we know they f***ed up letting Thome go. Its over with, time to move forward

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)

The options avaiable at the trade deadline were better than the one's available during the offseason.