34 billionaires pledge to give away 50 percent of wealth

HuskyCaucasian

MSNBC.com-

Thirty-four U.S. billionaires pledged Wednesday to give away at least 50 percent of their wealth to charity as part of a campaign by investor Warren Buffett and Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

Among the billionaires joining the campaign are New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, entertainment executive Barry Diller, Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison, energy tycoon T. Boone Pickens, media mogul Ted Turner, David Rockefeller and investor Ronald Perelman.

Gates and Buffett launched "The Giving Pledge" in June to convince hundreds of U.S. billionaires to give away most of their fortune during their lifetime or after their death and to publicly state their intention with a letter of explanation.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
I was wondering how many people were going to join Gates and Buffett when I first heard about this. Buffett's point was something to the effect of "seriously, I don't need it and there's nothing I can do with it"

(Keeping my mouth shut here...)

I think this is amazing news. I'm surprised there isn't more positive reaction. This is completely unnecessary. I would think something like this would only happen in the middle of a PR disaster or something like that. I'm a big Warren Buffet fan.

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 07:10 PM)
I think this is amazing news. I'm surprised there isn't more positive reaction. This is completely unnecessary. I would think something like this would only happen in the middle of a PR disaster or something like that. I'm a big Warren Buffet fan.

(The reason I'm being silent is that there's actually an awful lot of debate over how much good the Gates foundation is actually doing, because of how they choose to invest their funds and how they decide to support certain projects)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
(The reason I'm being silent is that there's actually an awful lot of debate over how much good the Gates foundation is actually doing, because of how they choose to invest their funds and how they decide to support certain projects)

Oh great. You're going to ruin this for me. Might as well post some reading material for me to look at now.....

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 05:46 PM)
He can give me a billion, I'll buy the Sox and donate it to Soxtalk :)

Every member would be part owner, with me the chairman of the board.

THis I like! :headbang

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
Oh great. You're going to ruin this for me. Might as well post some reading material for me to look at now.....

The LA Times ran a monster feature on it a couple years ago. Probably as good of a starting point as you can get. Things have changed somewhat since then, but then again...the more things change...

I call Assistant GM (we can't fire Kenny, and Hahn will assuredly get a new gig).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Any word on who they plan to donate this money to?

Probably something along the lines of the Gates foundation.

The last time we were in a Gilded age, guys like Carnegie and the Rockerfellers set up foundations that are operating to this day based on the returns on their investments.

A lot of it will be given to things like charitable companies, when there's a disaster they'll fund relief operations, they'll fund development programs around the globe, some of which will be controversial, they'll fund arts-houses (think Carnegie Hall or NPR), I'm sure they'll find ways to get in on African AIDS/Malaria relief, etc.

Then we can start wheeling and dealing and make a superteam. And then sign Kotsay to a long extension...to sit in the clubhouse and be the "chemistry guy".