Putz and Thornton likely to the DL

Kalapse

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
KW and Ozzie upset with each other again? Haugh was trying to explain KW's side of the story, but meanwhile, he made it look like Ozzie was upset with KW.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...4,0,5312.column

Someone should forward this quote to Oney and his cabana boy Cowley:

"In this case, I sent multiple texts saying, 'Hey is there something we need to do here (with the bullpen)?' And Ozzie and Coop each said, 'No let's ride it out,''' Williams said

This is odd, the Tribune said the opposite today about Matty.

"In this case, I sent multiple texts saying, 'Hey is there something we need to do here (with the bullpen)?' And Ozzie and Coop each said, 'No let's ride it out,''' Williams said.

Bringing up a pitcher to ease the bullpen burden in the second game would have forced a roster move nobody wanted to make. Putting a player such as sore-armed reliever Matt Thornton on the disabled list would have meant losing him for 15 days when his valuable left arm is expected to be ready this week.

"So if we had done that, Thornton's sitting around ready to go for 10 days and then I'm a dumb (bleep) for overreacting,'' Williams said.

Additionally, any player the Sox might have sent down to clear a spot would have had to spend 10 days in the minors -- past the Aug. 31 deadline for playoff rosters to be set. When you consider the only options at Triple A -- Lucas Harrell and Carlos Torres -- weren't available to pitch, it was an easy decision.

"If we didn't have an off day Monday, we'd have been forced to make a move,'' Williams said.

A source said Guillen was frustrated particularly after Sunday's loss about the limitations created by a tired bullpen. Williams said he sent Guillen and Cooper a text message after the team's second extra-inning defeat in 18 hours asking again if they wanted him to add a pitcher.

Williams held up his BlackBerry as he shared their response.

"They wrote back, '(Bleep) no,''' Williams said. "Remember, we have 12 pitchers and ideally I only want 11.''

Threets for Thornton's slot is pretty much a given.

Torres 75% for the other spot, but I'll throw in a sleeper pick for that one: Gregory Infante. He was promoted to B-Ham mid-season, struggled at first, but has been lights-out lately. Last 10 games: 11.2 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 6 BB, 13 K, 2.60 GO/AO, .162 AvgA. He's a fireballer (JPN reports he was over 100 on the gun recently), the org is high on him, and by my count there are 39 guys on the 40 man roster. I also think that Infante has to be protected next year anyway for the Sox to keep him, so this would just be a slightly earlier move.

If they pick up Manny, someone is being shown the door most likely anyway, so the 40 man slot is less likely to be an issue.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
Based on how they pitched in the bigs earlier this season, I'm not.

I thought Harrell pitched fairly well. Torres didn't. Hopefully our starting pitching does well and the bullpen issues aren't a huge concern.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
I thought Harrell pitched fairly well. Torres didn't. Hopefully our starting pitching does well and the bullpen issues aren't a huge concern.

It seems to me like Harrell was an awesome Alexei play from having pretty much the same line as Torres.

Harrell 6IP 1ER 4H 5BB 1WP 1.5WHIP

Torres 6IP 5ER 9H 5BB 2.33WHIP

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
The great Oney Guillen is tweeting his fool head off.

I believe "you" is talking to KW.

Which is funny, because in the Trib today Kenny said he asked Ozzie if he wanted another pitcher, and he told him no, and that he had one too many already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
Which is funny, because in the Trib today Kenny said he asked Ozzie if he wanted another pitcher, and he told him no, and that he had one too many already.

It's possible that KW wasn't exactly telling the truth to the Trib. I wouldn't be surprised if he was flat-out lying and that he vetoed Ozzie's request. I have to think at least one of Ozzie or KW is gone after this season and then both after 2011....

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
It's possible that KW wasn't exactly telling the truth to the Trib. I wouldn't be surprised if he was flat-out lying and that he vetoed Ozzie's request. I have to think at least one of Ozzie or KW is gone after this season and then both after 2011....

So it isn't possible that Oney, who was fired by the Sox for running his mouth, isn't full of s***? I can't see Kenny making a public statement out of a lie. It would be way too easy to disprove.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)

Let me get this straight. You are willing to believe that KW, after SHOWING THE REPORTER THE TEXT MESSAGE IN QUESTION, somehow made this all up... but you think that Oney Guillen, with his track record, is telling the truth?

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)

Didn't the Tribune article say that KW went as far as to show the text messages he got from Ozzie to prove they didn't believe they needed another reliever? Ugh, I'm so sick of the bulls*** between the GM and Manager.

"In this case, I sent multiple texts saying, 'Hey is there something we need to do here (with the bullpen)?' And Ozzie and Coop each said, 'No let's ride it out,''' Williams said.

Bringing up a pitcher to ease the bullpen burden in the second game would have forced a roster move nobody wanted to make. Putting a player such as sore-armed reliever Matt Thornton on the disabled list would have meant losing him for 15 days when his valuable left arm is expected to be ready this week.

"So if we had done that, Thornton's sitting around ready to go for 10 days and then I'm a dumb (bleep) for overreacting,'' Williams said.

Additionally, any player the Sox might have sent down to clear a spot would have had to spend 10 days in the minors -- past the Aug. 31 deadline for playoff rosters to be set. When you consider the only options at Triple A -- Lucas Harrell and Carlos Torres -- weren't available to pitch, it was an easy decision.

"If we didn't have an off day Monday, we'd have been forced to make a move,'' Williams said.

A source said Guillen was frustrated particularly after Sunday's loss about the limitations created by a tired bullpen. Williams said he sent Guillen and Cooper a text message after the team's second extra-inning defeat in 18 hours asking again if they wanted him to add a pitcher.

Williams held up his BlackBerry as he shared their response.

"They wrote back, '(Bleep) no,''' Williams said. "Remember, we have 12 pitchers and ideally I only want 11.''

I know that you would be a little short handed, and this would require that Jenks, Threets, Linebrink, etc. be at least servicable for a couple of weeks; but I wouldn't mind seeing Thornton & Putz placed on the DL. I would rather see their issues get resolved and have them come back strong for the stretch run than have them "putz" :ph34r: around and not be right for the rest of the season.

Edited by balfanman