Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
Also, Penn State is in now. I think the discussion now might be will Michigan or Illinois be among the first four play in games. Although if shenanigans keep happening (Dayton wins A-10, Utah State loses their conference title game), a bid of any kind might be in peril for Michigan or Illinois.

So, my post that Illinois didn't deserve a bid got flamed and I actually was feeling that people were right and I was overly harsh. If Illinois fails to get a bid after all, I think it goes to show that there's no such thing as being overly critical of that program.

I have to say the I'm surprised at the early exits of Wiscy and Purdue. Outside of tOSU, I really have no confidence in any Big Ten team doing well in the NCAA...or maybe the conference was really good but just had a lot of parity...it will be interesting to see if that's the case.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
So, my post that Illinois didn't deserve a bid got flamed and I actually was feeling that people were right and I was overly harsh. If Illinois fails to get a bid after all, I think it goes to show that there's no such thing as being overly critical of that program.

I have to say the I'm surprised at the early exits of Wiscy and Purdue. Outside of tOSU, I really have no confidence in any Big Ten team doing well in the NCAA...or maybe the conference was really good but just had a lot of parity...it will be interesting to see if that's the case.

I think these two tweets one of the yahoo guys made a little while ago cover the situation well:

JeffEisenberg If you're someone who doesn't believe selection committee truly ignores conference affiliation, pay close attn to Illinois' fate tomorrow.

JeffEisenberg Big Ten probably doesn't deserve seven, yet Michigan State, Penn State & Michigan all may have played their way into bids. Is Illinois safe?

I personally think Illinois belongs over Michigan on the totem pole (but behind Michigan State and Penn State). However, they lost to them Friday on a neutral floor and barely beat them in Champaign, which may be looked at closely.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 02:34 AM)
I would like to see Harvard get in as an at-large. Wins against Colorado, Boston College and Princeton. Three of their losses are at Michigan, at George Mason and at UCONN. And Like 101 said, solid RPI.

It's 37 or something. That gets in every year just about, so if Harvard doesn't get it that will be a shame. They played a strong non-conference schedule, dominated conference play except for two hiccups. There is no doubt in my mind they deserve it over Illinois -- and that's from an Illinois fan.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
It's 37 or something. That gets in every year just about, so if Harvard doesn't get it that will be a shame. They played a strong non-conference schedule, dominated conference play except for two hiccups. There is no doubt in my mind they deserve it over Illinois -- and that's from an Illinois fan.

What might hurt them to be honest is the fact that Boston College and Colorado fall just outside the rpi top 50 so if you're using rpi as a grouping tool, those don't count as top 50 wins.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)

In 2007 Missouri state was top 30 and got left out, in 2008 ISU had a 33 rpi and was left out. I doubt Harvard gets in.

The tournament has really lost a lot of its charm the last copule of years. The same old story is getting old. There is no way that the Big 10 deserves 7 teams while Missouri St. has to go to the NIT. It's bulls***.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
The tournament has really lost a lot of its charm the last copule of years. The same old story is getting old. There is no way that the Big 10 deserves 7 teams while Missouri St. has to go to the NIT. It's bulls***.

I love the MVC but no way we should of gotten more than 1 team.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
I love the MVC but no way we should of gotten more than 1 team.

Missouri St. won the damn league. They deserve to make the tournament with the year they had. I'd rather see them than watch michigan st. or illinois, two teams that have been disappointments.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
Missouri St. won the damn league. They deserve to make the tournament with the year they had. I'd rather see them than watch michigan st. or illinois, two teams that have been disappointments.

Doesn't mean anything. The conference was awful. They almost lost to SIU. They should of beaten Indiana State if they wanted in.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)

73rd in Sagarin's rankings, 81 on Kenpom, and their best wins were against a non-tourney team.

I personally thought Wichita had a better resume but the fact that a team can win the MVC outright and get overlooked sucks. I want to see teams like Missouri State and Harvard way more than I want to see Florida St., Marquette, Georgia. I just hate seeing mediocrity make it. IMO, it ruins the tournament. I want to see underdogs get their shot rather than watch all the major schools every single year.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
I personally thought Wichita had a better resume but the fact that a team can win the MVC outright and get overlooked sucks. I want to see teams like Missouri State and Harvard way more than I want to see Florida St., Marquette, Georgia. I just hate seeing mediocrity make it. IMO, it ruins the tournament. I want to see underdogs get their shot rather than watch all the major schools every single year.

Besides Northern Iowa, I was hoping Wichita State would win the conference tournament because I thought they could've been a sleeper in the tournament. At least they would've potentially giving a higher seed a scare. Either way it kind of sucks that the MVC only got 1 team in even though it was a down year for the conference.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)

:crying

Your credibility is shot when you talk about Missouri St over MSU or Illinois, 2 teams that weren't the last few in.

It's also not about who you would watch.

I'm never a defender of the mid major schools but this year I feel really blah about this bracket. I dont know how you can reward teams for being mediocre all because they play in a name conference. Teams like Illinois, Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St and Georgia should not be rewarded for basically winning more games than they lost.

I guess when there isnt 68 deserving teams, you've got to fill those spots somehow.

Edited by zenryan