ALDS: Twins vs. Yankees

Brian

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
Unbelievable how bad the Twins have been in the postseason. Hopefully they can somehow come back, or at least make it a series. I just can't stand the Yankees.

Go Texas.

And like it or not, now I have to start cheering for the Phillies in the NL so that someone can beat the Yankees.

THIS IS A DIFFERENT TWINS TEAM THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

Remember how many of you said that? No it's not, same old s***, same old team. Let's remember that the next time we're all over the Twins nuts for being the greatest franchise in the history of sports.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)

Remember how many of you said that? No it's not, same old s***, same old team. Let's remember that the next time we're all over the Twins nuts for being the greatest franchise in the history of sports.

+1

I don`t give a damn how many division titles they win, they always crap the bed in the postseason and not only to NY, they got swept by the A`s a couple of years ago when they were the favorites. :lolhitting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)
11 straight losses.

It's really amazing the more I think about it. 8 of those 11 to the Yankees in which the Twins held a lead in every single game. The playoffs and especially the first round are such a crapshoot, but you gotta wonder if the Twins will ever make a change to get over the hump.

'06 was really their year to do it. Still hard to believe they got swept by such a weaksauce A's team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
Twins/Yankees is the same as White Sox/Twins, only the Twins switch roles.

Exactly. 100 percent true. How many times have we led Minnesota 3-0 in a game like Game One and then had one bad inning and trailed 4-3 and had it be over.

Rivera gets 4 outs in the ninth, shrugs off the bad call by the ump. If that happened to the Sox vs. Minnesota, Thome would have homered, not made an out to make the fourth out of the inning.

11 straight postseason losses. If they get beat by NY again, do they just shrug it off AGAIN and dominate the Central next year? It's kind of laughable really, but like you said, just as laughable at how we can't beat them.

Baseball equal funny game.

That all said I find I can't cheer for Minnesota. I hope they get eliminated ASAP. Then they can start devising ways to win our division again next year and faceplant if indeed they win it again.

I wonder if Minnesota fans are mad at Gardy.

Edited by greg775

Because I had to throw this somewhere

White Sox record vs <.500 teams>

White Sox record vs >.500 teams - 38-47

Twins record vs <.500 teams>

Twins record vs >.500 teams - 50-42

(take out the 18 games between the Twins and Sox

White Sox record vs >.500 teams w/o Twins - 33-32

Twins record vs >.500 teams w/o White Sox - 37-37

I think you can argue that the White Sox were better than the Twins EXCEPT when the White Sox were actually playing the Twins. You might be wrong, but you atleast have an argument.

They are a much different team than they have been in the past, but they still bow down to the Yankees. The Sox were a lot different this year than they had been in the past, bu they still bow down to the Twins. If they really want to change the results, they need to change their mindsets. When the Twins fall behind the Sox or the Yankees fall behind the Twins, there is no panic, there is no feeling of anything but optimism.

I want the Twins to win this postseason because I go AL Central, then AL if the Sox aren't in, but other than that I really don't care if they ever get over their issues with the Yankees and hope they always continue during the regular season. As for the Sox, watch the Twins blow leads every night, lose 11 in a row in the playoffs, before you bow down to everything Twins. The only reason the White Sox aren't in the playoffs and the Twins are is the Sox defeatist attitude towards them.

Should we also remember it when they take the division again next year?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 12:34 AM)
Yep, he just wins. Except in the playoffs. Viva La Twins - Greatest Baseball franchise in the worrrrrrrld

Against the Sox, yes he does. I don't understand what you're getting off on.

This must be how Cubs fans feel when they don't make the playoffs and the Sox do. Just hope for them to lose and be happy you're not the only loser.

An expert on the radio said it best, the Twins are built to win the regular season but are not suited for the playoffs while the White Sox were better suited for the playoffs especially this year. The Twins pitchers are good at grinding out regular season games but do not hold up in the playoffs.

The way the expert put it, made much more sense to me than how I stated it.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
An expert on the radio said it best, the Twins are built to win the regular season but are not suited for the playoffs while the White Sox were better suited for the playoffs especially this year. The Twins pitchers are good at grinding out regular season games but do not hold up in the playoffs.

The way the expert put it, made much more sense to me than how I stated it.

This could very well be the case. Or it could be they just don't match-up with a $200 million dollar all-star team.

Biggest difference between Twins of the 2nd half and Twins thru first 2 games is Mauer and Thome were two of the best hitters on the planet since the ASB, and they've both been awful vs the Yankees so far. I'm pretty sure Mauer led the AL in hitting since the ASB, and Thome led the AL in OPS.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)
This could very well be the case. Or it could be they just don't match-up with a $200 million dollar all-star team.

Funny thing is Liriano is their best "postseason-suited" pitcher they've had since Johan.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 8, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
Biggest difference between Twins of the 2nd half and Twins thru first 2 games is Mauer and Thome were two of the best hitters on the planet since the ASB, and they've both been awful vs the Yankees so far. I'm pretty sure Mauer led the AL in hitting since the ASB, and Thome led the AL in OPS.

You would be right on both counts. Mauer hit a league-leading .373 the second half while Thome sported a league-leading 1.158 OPS the second half. Personally, I think this Twins team is outstanding and arguably the best all around team in the AL. They just don't match-up well with the Yankees. It's really that simple.