2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
i don't see us taking JJ's max contract. That's just stupid. God damn it, i hate sam smith.

I can't even read his articles. He just makes up trades for the heck of it, seemingly without thought as to how realistic they might be.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
Monta Ellis? s***, too good to be true. Other than LeBron/Wade, Ellis/Rose would be as good as it gets out on the perimeter. And unlike Gordon, Ellis is not a total defensive hack. Though he's lacking. But he's really active and athletic and could thrive under TT.

He would be someone you would have to sub out for defensive purposes at times, but at least he can generate offense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
Exactly. I think we have a replacement for Noah. Deng, no way.

Let me say it this way...we don't have a replacement for the Healthy, pre-injury Noah we saw in Nov/Dec. We didn't have a replacement for him all season, but we never saw that guy again once he got hurt.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
He would be someone you would have to sub out for defensive purposes at times, but at least he can generate offense.

Almost everyone we'd be considering would require us to have someone like Bogans/Brewer left over as a defensive sub. Hell, with Rose on the team, we'd want that anyway.

Of course, if we're looking at how the **** we get past the Heat...this really is the critical flaw, because you can't go for offense and wind up with Wade torching you.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
Hopefully United steps up their game next year, then.

It's a shame they don't have their name on a western conference stadium so they could pull off what AA did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Almost everyone we'd be considering would require us to have someone like Bogans/Brewer left over as a defensive sub. Hell, with Rose on the team, we'd want that anyway.

Of course, if we're looking at how the **** we get past the Heat...this really is the critical flaw, because you can't go for offense and wind up with Wade torching you.

Wade has no equal at his position. Not even Kobe. It's fruitless in trying to find the perfect 2-guard to match-up with him. But give me the ultra-athletic, consistent 25 PPG scorer that at the very least has the ability to be a good defender as my starter and then go with a Brewer or defensive minded 2 as the bench guy. Not the other way around.

http://www.thedetroitsportssite.com/2011/0...k-to-bulls/1811

Detroit sites picked up Doug Thonus' article.

And Ray Allen basically had the same DRtg as BG, BG was built when he was here, and he is a hardworking, coachable guy. TT could fix him. Plus, if he's coming off the bench with Watson/8th pick (I still say Morris)/Taj/Asik, he won't look nearly as bad defensively.

Plus, while I like Korver, Ben was an assassin with the Bulls. The UConn Shootout was one of the best games I've ever watched (partly because of the amazingness of that series). It all depends on the CBA works out, but if its relatively the same, I'll take this:

Rose/Watson

Brewer/Gordon/Bogans

Deng

Boozer/Taj

Noah/Asik/Thomas

+ 8th AND the MLE.

And Monta Ellis is the same defensively as Ben.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
Wade has no equal at his position. Not even Kobe. It's fruitless in trying to find the perfect 2-guard to match-up with him. But give me the ultra-athletic, consistent 25 PPG scorer that at the very least has the ability to be a good defender as my starter and then go with a Brewer or defensive minded 2 as the bench guy. Not the other way around.

He's not going to average 25 a game playing with Rose. He took 22 shots per game last year and 20 per game this year to get those points. No one else on the Warriors took even 15 shots per game this past year. Their pace also helps as the Warriors got 4 more possessions per game than the Bulls did this year.

Someone that doesn't need the ball in their hands to produce points would be a much better fit. Someone like Kevin Martin (Martin idea is a registered trademark of Steve9347 INC) or Danny Granger that can hit open shots. Martin and Granger both only took 16 shots per game last year, and their efficiency could go up a lot with more open jumpers create by Rose. Ellis wouldn't benefit from that nearly as much as he's not a good jump-shooter and relies on the drive like Rose.

Someone like Ellis that relies on the drive and an iffy jumper simply isn't going to be as efficient playing with a similar player. It works with Lebron and Wade because they're both high efficiency players that are capable of scoring 30 PPG on a season. Neither Rose nor Ellis fits that category yet.

After reading all these hypothetical trade scenarios, I don´t envy Forman´s job.The moves he makes this upcoming off season will be the difference between putting the Bulls in position to knock off Miami or being just another EC team nipping on the Heat´s ankles and ultimately failing.

Either that or we can hope Dan Gilbert sends some thugs to do a Tanya Harding on LBJ. :stick

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
He's not going to average 25 a game playing with Rose. He took 22 shots per game last year and 20 per game this year to get those points. No one else on the Warriors took even 15 shots per game this past year. Their pace also helps as the Warriors got 4 more possessions per game than the Bulls did this year.

Someone that doesn't need the ball in their hands to produce points would be a much better fit. Someone like Kevin Martin (Martin idea is a registered trademark of Steve9347 INC) or Danny Granger that can hit open shots. Martin and Granger both only took 16 shots per game last year, and their efficiency could go up a lot with more open jumpers create by Rose. Ellis wouldn't benefit from that nearly as much as he's not a good jump-shooter and relies on the drive like Rose.

Someone like Ellis that relies on the drive and an iffy jumper simply isn't going to be as efficient playing with a similar player. It works with Lebron and Wade because they're both high efficiency players that are capable of scoring 30 PPG on a season. Neither Rose nor Ellis fits that category yet.

I don't think Ellis would necessarily be the best fit. All I know is I want an offensive minded 2-guard as my starter. I can't go through another year of Keith Bogans. If Ellis were available, and I don't think he is, and there's no better fit, I'm game. Rose and Ellis, along with Thibbs, would just have to work it out.

Edited by Jordan4life

Like I've said, Kevin Martin would be amazing. He's one of the best pure shooters in the league and he gets to the stripe so damn often and is obviously lethal from there as well. Derrick Rose would have a boner every game with the extra amount of room he'd have.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
After reading all these hypothetical trade scenarios, I don´t envy Forman´s job.The moves he makes this upcoming off season will be the difference between putting the Bulls in position to knock off Miami or being just another EC team nipping on the Heat´s ankles and ultimately failing.

Either that or we can hope Dan Gilbert sends some thugs to do a Tanya Harding on LBJ. :stick

I'm listening...

I thought there would be a lot of discussion in here about Shaq retiring, but I guess in many people's minds his career has been over for a few years. He has had a pretty significant effect on not only pro basketball, but pop culture as well.

SHAQ + WU TANG haha:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
Like I've said, Kevin Martin would be amazing. He's one of the best pure shooters in the league and he gets to the stripe so damn often and is obviously lethal from there as well. Derrick Rose would have a boner every game with the extra amount of room he'd have.
:huh:

That alone would be reason enough to NOT have Martin here, who wants to see Rose with a hard on all game long?

NOT ME!

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)
I thought there would be a lot of discussion in here about Shaq retiring, but I guess in many people's minds his career has been over for a few years. He has had a pretty significant effect on not only pro basketball, but pop culture as well.

SHAQ + WU TANG haha:

Shaq's been pretty insignificant for at least 3 years. Especially the last two. Clearly a case of a guy that doesn't know when it's time to let go. And there was a decent article on Yahoo! talking about it wouldn't be surprising at all if Shaq were to attempt a comeback later in the season next year (assuming there is one). With that said, he's a top 3 C and top 10 player overall. His peak of '98 through '02 was as good a peak as I've seen besides you know who.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
I'm one of the few who has always hated Shaq. Happy he's gone.

Somehow, despite playing for the Magic, Lakers, and Heat in his prime, I always loved him. I mean, he told Kobe to tell him how his ass tastes!

Dwight Howard today shot down a report that he will sign a two-year contract extension with the Orlando Magic before the collective bargaining agreement ends on July 1.

Howard made spoke to reporters this morning as he appeared at a charity event in Birmingham, Ala., to help people affected by late April's deadly tornados.

WKMG Sports Director David "Ping" Pingalore, citing anonymous NBA and Magic sources, reported Monday night that the extension was "all but signed by" Howard.

"There's no truth to that," Howard told reporters in Birmingham.

"The biggest thing right now is everybody understands I have one more year left. I'm keeping my options open, but there's no other place I'd rather be than Orlando. I want them to understand that.

"But, at the same time, I do want to win, make sure everything is in line: our team, just everything from top to bottom, everybody is reaching for a championship. It can't be me and a couple other guys. It's gotta be the whole team — everybody on the staff. It's the same goal: the championship attitude. As of right now, I don't plan to be anywhere else besides Orlando."

On Monday, Howard told the Orlando Sentinel in a one-on-one interview that his first preference is to remain with the Magic for the long haul, but he stopped short of saying he will definitely remain with the team for the long haul.

Pingalore tweeted Monday and reported on-air Tuesday that Howard would sign the extension — at least partly because signing an extension before July 1 would guarantee Howard maximum-salary money of about $44 million combined for the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons.

But signing an extension now does not necessarily guarantee that the salaries written in that extension would be grandfathered into the new CBA.

The salaries in extensions and even existing contracts under the new CBA will be determined through negotiations between the league's owners and the players' union. Salary-cap and CBA expert Larry Coon has noted that members of the union might prefer an agreement that protects lower-wage players at the expense of higher-wage players.

In other words, no one knows for sure what the new CBA will look like.

And right now, Howard sounds content to be patient, wait for the new agreement and, perhaps even more importantly, see how the Magic match-up against their Eastern Conference competition a year from now.

Howard's current contract runs through the 2012-13 season, but he can terminate the deal one year early and become a free agent during the summer of 2012.

"For me, it's just talking to the owners personally," Howard said in Birmingham today. "There's no middle man. Just me and the owners . . . just telling those guys how I feel. They understand that I want to win a championship, I want to have a team to do that. I'm just directly talking to them about everything, not just contract extension — about basketball, about bettering myself and bettering the team."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,6857959.story

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Shaq's been pretty insignificant for at least 3 years. Especially the last two. Clearly a case of a guy that doesn't know when it's time to let go. And there was a decent article on Yahoo! talking about it wouldn't be surprising at all if Shaq were to attempt a comeback later in the season next year (assuming there is one). With that said, he's a top 3 C and top 10 player overall. His peak of '98 through '02 was as good a peak as I've seen besides you know who.

And to think he only has 1 MVP award, that´s insane.