2010-2011 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
I hope you get the idea though. Manning and Brady aren't complimentary players any more than Wade and James are.

Miami was the only place where Lebron could have gone, maybe in the whole NBA other than the Lakers, where he wouldn't have been the guy. He went there so that he didn't have to be the guy all the time.

I understand and agree with your idea on Lebron going to Miami. Just the Manning/Brady comparison makes no sense IMO, because only one of them would play at any given time, so it wouldn't matter. The concept of two #1 scorers on the same team is new, but both players are playing most of the game and both have a large effect on the outcome. Manning would be sitting on the sideline the entire time.

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
SRBOU.Em.56.jpg

This is an extremely misleading picture. Lebron hugged Kidd, talked to him, then patted him on the chest and said congrats as he was walking away. I know what it looks like, but that is wrong

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
This is an extremely misleading picture. Lebron hugged Kidd, talked to him, then patted him on the chest and said congrats as he was walking away. I know what it looks like, but that is wrong

ah ok. thanks :)

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
Wow, I just realized how silly this is. 10 better than Dirk off the top of my head:

Yeah, I abhor instant over-reaction. Much like Scottie Pippen's comments about LeBron.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
He said he wanted to play another 2 or 3 years.

And I hope he does, I really enjoyed watching him. As long has he plays on a team where he can get some rest during the season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)
Let's face it: LeBron is a f***ing idiot. No denying that. But the entire planet has been trashing, insulting, etc, him all season long.

Well, they've been doing that because he's been King Douche all season long, starting with the absolute worst way to announce his move to Miami. Had he just called a press conference and signed with Miami, the backlash wouldn't be bad at all. To do it on national television, to say "South Beach" instead of the Miami Heat, to publically s*** all over your former team was just a bad start.

It's not just his fault that they had that pre-season celebration, or the post-boston celebration, or that they (he and wade) acted like dicks most of the season, but he's a big part of that. You came to Miami to win 7 straight? Well, you're 0-1 and the entire league is coming for you.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
Well, they've been doing that because he's been King Douche all season long, starting with the absolute worst way to announce his move to Miami. Had he just called a press conference and signed with Miami, the backlash wouldn't be bad at all. To do it on national television, to say "South Beach" instead of the Miami Heat, to publically s*** all over your former team was just a bad start.

It's not just his fault that they had that pre-season celebration, or the post-boston celebration, or that they (he and wade) acted like dicks most of the season, but he's a big part of that. You came to Miami to win 7 straight? Well, you're 0-1 and the entire league is coming for you.

Yeah superstars have moved around sports with free agency for decades now. The reason LeBron is getting this treatment is because that space between the ears that tells you when to STFU doesn't work for him. He is reaping exactly what he sowed.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 07:03 AM)
How much longer are you (not you) going to use that as diesel fuel to supplement your hatred for LeBron?

LeBron and the other clown Wade have done plenty since then to attract everyone's hate. The decision was a nice base for all the asshatery that followed, though. Almost like a rich, fertile soil in which you can grow a flower in.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
Holy cow, you are clueless.

At least offer a legitimate rebuttal. What does Bird do better than Dirk other than pass? Seriously. And Bill Russell is overrated, IMO. He was basically a slightly better version of prime Ben Wallace. Don't look at the stats. There were something like 35 more possessions per game back then. Skillset wise they were pretty similar.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
At least offer a legitimate rebuttal. What does Bird do better than Dirk other than pass? Seriously. And Bill Russell is overrated, IMO. He was basically a slightly better version of prime Ben Wallace. Don't look at the stats. There were something like 35 more possessions per game back then. Skillset wise they were pretty similar.

Technically rebounding, scoring, passing, shooting accuracy, and steals. Oh and winning.

Larry took 2 more shots per game from the field, and took 1 less from 3. So your possession argument isnt all that great.

Edited by RockRaines

Interesting interview on The Score right now. A guy who has covered LeBron since he was a Soph in HS. Flat out called James a choker. They went back at looked at the championship games from when he was in HS and said LeBron was never "the guy" in those games.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

And defense. I think people underrate Bird more nowadays, I think the idea being that a white dude who never jumps could be dominant in different eras, but bird was dominant until his back gave out.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
Technically rebounding, scoring, passing, shooting accuracy, and steals. Oh and winning.

Larry took 2 more shots per game from the field, and took 1 less from 3. So your possession argument isnt all that great.

I was referring to Bill Russell.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)

Lets see. We cant use stats? Then how would we compare? There has to be some correlation you can make to prove that a guy who's best year ever wasnt as good as the others guys worst season. Because Russell's worst rebounding year was 18.6, and Wallace's best was 15.4. Russell avg'ed 22.5 with 15 points. Wallace avg'ed 6 and 10.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
And 2 penetrating #1 scorers has never worked, or really been tried, in the NBA before either.

Maybe that's what Lebron chucked horrible jumpers in crunch time rather than drive on the 50 year old Kidd :)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)

You summed up what I was about to say in roughly 1/20th the words. Thank you. :lolhitting

As for the second part, pretty sure he was saying that about Russell. I'm not exactly a Russell fan and JFL is right about that era being a completely different pace, but you don't end up as the best player on a championship team 11 times by accident. He also won 5 MVP's in an era where everyone still hated black people, so that says something about the respect he had around the league.