2010-2011 NBA Thread

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
I know they weren't a juggernaut. But they peaked at the right time. They were an offense rebound away from at least tying that game 7 and sending it into OT. And LeBron did more in Cleveland with arguably a worst cast in '07 and '09.

I wasn't saying Pippen was on the same tier as Lebron, but he wasn't just some garden variety 20 PPG wing player either. The only forwards I've seen with his kind of solid all-around game are Lebron and pre-injury Grant Hill (oh, and I guess McGrady if you consider him a forward, though nowhere near the defense).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
Lebron's gonna feel great tomorrow?

At some point you wonder if that guy even cares at this point. No doubt you'll see rumors of Spoelstra being thrown under the bus coming out from Lebron's crew over the next 24-48 hours, pretty inevitable really.

Spoelstra should be thrown under the bus. The guy's offense is about as complex as my rec league team's offense.

Spoelstra should be thrown under the bus. The guy's offense is about as complex as my rec league team's offense.

Is it not painfully obvious at this point that LeBron James is an entirely uncoachable player who undermines any coaches ability to effectively manage the roster?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
I wasn't saying Pippen was on the same tier as Lebron, but he wasn't just some garden variety 20 PPG wing player either. The only forwards I've seen with his kind of solid all-around game are Lebron and pre-injury Grant Hill (oh, and I guess McGrady if you consider him a forward, though nowhere near the defense).

Fair enough. I guess I was just blasting Pippen for his idiotic comments a couple weeks ago. I'd have much more respect for him if he would just come out and say he was jealous of MJ. I don't think anybody would blame him. Though I really do think he was a tad overrated.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
J4L, watch these three videos and then tell me that the Blazers' collapse in game 7 was on Pippen. The whole team choked.

I never said Pippen was the entire reason they lost. But Pippen was the the 6-time champ. Pippen was the one that had seen every possible scenario one could see. That was his chance to fully escape Jordan's shadow. And he failed. Think MJ or Kobe takes 3 shots in a do or die game 7? I think not. Jordan would've said, "f*** you Rasheed," give me the god damn basketball and get out of the way. Scottie never had that mentality. He was a follower. Not a leader.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
Fair enough. I guess I was just blasting Pippen for his idiotic comments a couple weeks ago. I'd have much more respect for him if he would just come out and say he was jealous of MJ. I don't think anybody would blame him. Though I really do think he was a tad overrated.

I think Pip was actually a tad underrated.

But I am not convinced that Pip made those statements out of jealously of MJ. I think Pip said LeBron "MIGHT be better" because he was coming off of watching him play in Chicago during the ECF. LeBron was a BEAST during game 5 and throughout the series. I think he was inflating a little bit and ended up putting his foot in his mouth (because Jordan > everyone).

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
Is it not painfully obvious at this point that LeBron James is an entirely uncoachable player who undermines any coaches ability to effectively manage the roster?

That was going to be my next point also.

After what happened to Mike Brown and now probably Spoelstra, who's going to want to coach Lebron?

The only guy I can really think of besides Pat Riley taking over is Rick Adelman, but at his age, is he going to want to deal with that headache?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)
The only guy I can really think of besides Pat Riley taking over is Rick Adelman, but at his age, is he going to want to deal with that headache?

It would be a Phil Jackson move to take over this team. If not next year, but the following year (if the Heat can't win the title next year).

It would be a Phil Jackson move to take over this team. If not next year, but the following year (if the Heat can't win the title next year).

No way. This Miami Heat thing is so incredibly risky from a legacy perspective, who knows how long these guys will stick together if they dont win? Does an old ass Phil Jackson really want to deal with it?

Not to mention the Eastern Conference in the coming years is not going to get any easier. The Bulls are probably going to make a lot of improvements from a player development perspective, the Knicks could work on that roster more and become a contender and then you have the Dwight Howard/Chris Paul mess coming up that could spring Orlando (or someone else) into a position much better than the Heat's.

The more you look at it this was the Heat's shot to establish themselves.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)

As a scorer, maybe. He wasn't the most efficient offensive player ever.

However, he was arguably the best wing defender in the league, a great rebounder and a very good passer. His versatility was ridiculous. He was basically the SF version of Kevin Garnett.

"Overrated" is a tough term for me because it depends on where they are "rated", which is subjective. If I'm talking with someone that says Kobe Bryant is the best player ever, I'd be saying he's overrated while the reverse is true if I'm talking to someone that doesn't think he was much better than T-Mac or Vince Carter (yes, extreme examples).

Scottie wasn't a guy that was going to win a title all by himself, but with the right kind of team he could probably get one as the best player. I'd argue that he's less "overrated" than Reggie Miller, who basically milked one elite skill and had a number of holes in his game.

I dont think you can say Lebron is uncoachable, its not like hes had an established coach. The problem with Spoelstra as the coach of the Heat is that he just doesnt have the experience to handle 2 superstars.

It all comes down to Wade/Lebron, they are going to need to sit down and figure it out. One of them has to be the man, it just didnt seem to work having them both try and be it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
I've seen enough. Dirk is the best player in the league and now a top 10 great. Coldest white boy I've ever seen. Larry Bird would be Kyle Korver in today's league.

Wow, I just realized how silly this is. 10 better than Dirk off the top of my head:

Michael Jordan

Wilt Chamberlain

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Magic Johnson

Oscar Robertson

Larry Bird

Bill Russell

Kobe Bryant

Shaquille O'Neal

Hakeem Olajuwon

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
No way. This Miami Heat thing is so incredibly risky from a legacy perspective, who knows how long these guys will stick together if they dont win? Does an old ass Phil Jackson really want to deal with it?

Not to mention the Eastern Conference in the coming years is not going to get any easier. The Bulls are probably going to make a lot of improvements from a player development perspective, the Knicks could work on that roster more and become a contender and then you have the Dwight Howard/Chris Paul mess coming up that could spring Orlando (or someone else) into a position much better than the Heat's.

The more you look at it this was the Heat's shot to establish themselves.

If Phil were younger, I think he'd go to Miami (I agree with the idea that it's a Phil kind of move). But not now, I really think he's done, due in large part to his health.

As for this series, what happened tonight didn't shed any new light on this series. Dallas had lesser talent (I honestly think they had lesser talent in all 4 series), but pulled it out. Rick Carlisle deserves so much credit. To win a title with this squad, and without Butler, and without Haywood at most of the key moments in The Finals is amazing. Having Cardinal and that big guy whose name I already forgot play more than 10 minutes tonight? Wow. To me, the only coach in the league right now you could say is better is Pop in San Antonio. And to be honest, I think Carlisle would have just as many rings had he been put in that situation. I'm also happy for Dirk, Kidd, Marion, Terry, even Chandler and Cuban. Mark Cuban can finally be called a very good owner. I think all of the guys I mentioned really deserved this moment.

As for the Heat, I think Bosh might be scapegoated. Either he or Coach Spo. What the Heat do personnel wise depends on how the new CBA looks. They might be stuck like this even if they want to deal Bosh. I personally think dealing Bosh would be idiotic, I mean they win this series IMO if they don't collapse in game 2. They are that close. I think it's clear that you can't win a title trusting LeBron to be your best player in the playoffs. At times, he can be, but the moment just seems to overwhelm him as soon as things go bad. To me, the Heat Title window is only open as long as Dwyane Wade is great. And who knows with his health. But, I think that'll last long enough for the group they have now to win a title or two. But, I hope I'm wrong and either way, it was great to see them taste humble pie like that tonight.

The next big issue is the lockout, and how long it will last. I am hoping not long, but I doubt it. As I've said before, I could see an entire season being lost. No matter what happens, I hope the next deal fixes a lot of the problems the NBA has. The NHL lost an entire season due to the lockout, but the league came back a lot better. I'm hoping no matter how long the NBA lockout lasts, it too comes back a lot better. Because as well as the NBA did this year, improvements are needed.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
Wow, I just realized how silly this is. 10 better than Dirk off the top of my head:

Michael Jordan

Wilt Chamberlain

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Magic Johnson

Oscar Robertson

Larry Bird

Bill Russell

Kobe Bryant

Shaquille O'Neal

Hakeem Olajuwon

Dirk > Bird

And I think Bill Russell is a little overrated. I agree the rest are above Dirk (Kobe and Oscar barely).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 04:30 AM)
Lebron's gonna feel great tomorrow?

At some point you wonder if that guy even cares at this point. No doubt you'll see rumors of Spoelstra being thrown under the bus coming out from Lebron's crew over the next 24-48 hours, pretty inevitable really.

That's what I was thinking. LeBron really has nobody to blame but himself for not taking over or trying to do more late.

That will be sad if the rumors do start that LeBron is blaming the coach.

The panel of Magic, JonBarry, Wilbon and Scott didn't even come close to blaming Spo.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 03:56 AM)
WTF are you drinking?

I'm not drinking (yet) anything. Dirk is a better shooter, penetrator, comparable rebounder, better defender. Definitely quicker and more athletic. Bird was a better passer. That's about it. Larry Bird was obviously a legend during his time and it's unfathomable to rank a modern player over a legend, regardless of it's warranted or not by some, but these playoffs were enough for me.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 04:05 AM)
RealSkipBayless Skip Bayless

For once I loved it that Dirk ran off the floor without shaking hands. The losers who mocked him didn't deserve his hand shake.

5 hours ago

I don't watch his show but wasn't Bayless on the Heat bandwagon?