Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 8, 2012 -> 05:32 AM)
I hate the application process is now. Applying online is garbage.

I'm applying for jobs I am over qualified for and can't even get in touch with anyone or an interview. Frustrating.

I came to a conclusion that you either know someone there or you might as well not even try.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 7, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
So this is nice...

The attorneys in my office are union because we work for government. This year, everyone was forced into 15 furlough days in lieu of layoffs. Back in July the union filed a grievance over the furloughs for lost wages this year (and stand a good chance of winning). I got hired in September and have been working for two weeks. I've had nothing to do with any of these actions.

Nevertheless, if the union wins the arbitration and gets back pay, guess who will be laid off to cover the expenses? Me. So after months of unemployment and struggling to get my career in order, I land a job I really like, and 2 weeks in, I have to worry about this crap. And of course, the old people with secured pensions don't give a s*** because seniority is all that matters.

Wow, that blows dude. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, in case you didn't know, http://www.forbes.com/pictures/el45fkjmk/n...smark-nd/"" target="_blank">Bismark, ND has the lowest unemployment rate in the entire US.

Now, if someone could direct me to Bismark, ND, I would greatly appreciate it.

(PS...there are still so many jobs here it'll make your head spin...please move here, because I need Sox brethren in BISMARCK, ND)

Question for the masses/conversation starter. Rank these 1-10, 1 most important, 10 least important. Would be interesting to see what others are looking for. These are in no particular order. Should be interesting to see differences in answers based on age, line of work, etc.

Interesting Work

Loyalty of Supervisor

Being in on Things

Appreciation of Work Done

High Wages

Job Security

Tactful Discipline

Good Work Conditions

Promotion Potential

Help on Personal Problems

I'm going to include some things you didn't list:

1 Job Security

2 Location

3 Benefits

4 Interesting Work

5 Schedule

6 High Wages*

7 Good Work Conditions

8 Promotion Potential

9 Loyalty of Supervisor

10 Appreciation of Work Done

I put an asterisk next to High Wages, because based on location and benefits, there is a minimum salary I would require to maintain my family's standard of living, so in some respects that would be #1, but when you talk about salary above and beyond that minimum, items 1-5 would be more important.

Here's a question:

We all have our soxtalk personalities. I know many of you hate my position on Ozzie Guillen and some former Sox players and my style of posting.

My question is: If you were a business owner and I applied for a job at your company, would you reject me because of things I post on soxtalk. Just curious to see if this fantasy world message board relates to real life as well. Would Greg be eliminated as a job candidate because of a message board?? Thank u for responding.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
Here's a question:

We all have our soxtalk personalities. I know many of you hate my position on Ozzie Guillen and some former Sox players and my style of posting.

My question is: If you were a business owner and I applied for a job at your company, would you reject me because of things I post on soxtalk. Just curious to see if this fantasy world message board relates to real life as well. Would Greg be eliminated as a job candidate because of a message board?? Thank u for responding.

I'd hire you just to keep things interesting at work.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
Here's a question:

Yes and no, you'd have to be pretty extreme in what you say for me to automatically dismiss you (such as racist remarks, etc).

If a I saw a great resume come by for an open position, I try to not let factors such as Facebook and forums interfere because I think that your life is your life, and as long as you have proven to be professional in your previous line of work then I would expect that to continue in your next one.

That said, I think my way of thinking is probably in the minority in terms of not checking social media for candidates and judging them by that.