Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd hire greg for a variety of things.

I think he'd be very trainable for a variety of things and I'd imagine he'd be very loyal to my company. I would ban him from any company social gatherings if they involve watching White Sox baseball, though :P

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
I'd hire greg for a variety of things.

I think he'd be very trainable for a variety of things and I'd imagine he'd be very loyal to my company. I would ban him from any company social gatherings if they involve watching White Sox baseball, though :P

Yay. Thank u thank u.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
Ya they pay overtime, just loading and unloading crates of metal products that the plant makes. It's nothing really special, by soxtalk standards anyway at 9 an hour, but its work. At the very least I'll be able to get a car, and then a nicer car out of it while I'm looking for something new.

1145p-815a everyday, I like those hours. I can wake up around 5, have some breakfast, hit up the boxing club, and be back in time to watch the Bulls or whatever prime time TV shows are on that day. It'll be a good way to save up some $$ quick.

Congrats! Those hours don't sound bad at all. That's definitely nice that you'll still be able to workout and catch the Bulls games when they're playing.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
As in, done with the job permanently?

Lol yes, my sad sad life continues. My back couldn't take lifting 40 75 pound airplane parts of the ground and apparently thats what the job is like all day. Boss mam said if youre back couldnt take that I'm gonna have to let you go before you hurt yourself.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
Lol yes, my sad sad life continues. My back couldn't take lifting 40 75 pound airplane parts of the ground and apparently thats what the job is like all day. Boss mam said if youre back couldnt take that I'm gonna have to let you go before you hurt yourself.

Well that sucks, sorry dude. If the job requires that much labor, you would think they would mention that before actually hiring someone and bringing them on.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)

Man, that's tough labor. How can anybody pick up boxes for 8 hour shifts day after day? How much does a job like that pay anyway? Is there a supervisor around as well? There are some tough jobs in the world; that sounds like a tough one mentally and physically.I'd think you'd have to go to a 2 week Boot Camp to get in shape to have a shot at a job like that.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
Man, that's tough labor. How can anybody pick up boxes for 8 hour shifts day after day? How much does a job like that pay anyway? Is there a supervisor around as well? There are some tough jobs in the world; that sounds like a tough one mentally and physically.I'd think you'd have to go to a 2 week Boot Camp to get in shape to have a shot at a job like that.

It's 8 times a day with the heavy stuff, with some other smaller pieces throughout the day. My back was shot after the first 40 piece pallet. As I've mentioned before (when talking about medical marijuana) I have a bad back from rugby and just being overall a pretty big guy for my whole life. So the bending, lifting, then bending to lay them down really took a toll on my back. My supervisor was right there when I was doing it and saw me grimace a few times and I told him about my back and he straight up told me "This isn't the job for you, we don't want you getting hurt. This isn't going to work out."

It only paid 450 a week (8 an hour with a lot of OT).

Benefits after 90 days so if my back goes out in those 90 days I'm kinda screwed

It wasn't that hard at all, my arms weren't tired nor was I winded, my back was the only thing that couldn't take it.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

i'm bored and have some free time these days. trying to decide if i should work for this private contractor company that's involved in hurricane cleanup efforts.

gotta admit it feels kind of weird to work for a company like haliburton/blackwater/ravenwood

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
It's 8 times a day with the heavy stuff, with some other smaller pieces throughout the day. My back was shot after the first 40 piece pallet. As I've mentioned before (when talking about medical marijuana) I have a bad back from rugby and just being overall a pretty big guy for my whole life. So the bending, lifting, then bending to lay them down really took a toll on my back. My supervisor was right there when I was doing it and saw me grimace a few times and I told him about my back and he straight up told me "This isn't the job for you, we don't want you getting hurt. This isn't going to work out."

It only paid 450 a week (8 an hour with a lot of OT).

Benefits after 90 days so if my back goes out in those 90 days I'm kinda screwed

It wasn't that hard at all, my arms weren't tired nor was I winded, my back was the only thing that couldn't take it.

Eight bucks an hour for viciously difficult work. What are you going to do to put bread on the table in the future?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 2, 2012 -> 03:43 AM)
Eight bucks an hour for viciously difficult work. What are you going to do to put bread on the table in the future?

Well as I've said before I don't plan on being a family man anytime soon. 450 a week would have been plenty to put bread on MY table.

I got this job from a friend on facebook, another friend on facebook told me he could get me in at his fathers or one of his uncles trucking companies if I passed the written test to get my CDL...So my long term plan has turned to that. There's my 40k a year career job.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Nov 14, 2012 -> 08:44 PM)
Anyone on here know of an agile project manager looking for work? My company in Naperville is looking for someone and hasn't been able to find the right fit. For one thing I'd like to see this job get filled, for another I'd like to get a referral bonus.

Link to job ad

I like that there is a range for some of the skills, such as people management..."good to excellent."

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I know that people here are mostly Chicago based and are biased towards Chicago, but I'd like some hopefully unbiased help in deciding between two job offers.

One's in Chicago and one's in Austin Texas. Both pay pretty much the same. The job in Austin is with a larger and more lucrative corporation while the Chicago one is with a small company that's only been around for about 8 years. If I choose the Austin offer, they will offer relocation and sign-on bonus, Chicago company does not provide that.

Notes about Austin job:

1. No state income tax (saves about $3500 annually)

2. Austin area is filled with tech giants (AMD, IBM, Intel, TI, Google, Apple, Dell, etc), so it's a better job market for software engineers.

3. Austin is a lot cheaper to live in

4. Better live concert/music scene

5. Right next to U of Texas. So it's like I never left college.

6. Good weather. Never will I have to suffer through a 20 degree day again (at least for a few years).

7. I don't know anyone, will have to restart basically

8. Job isn't exactly what I want to do/did in college, but I'm adaptable.

9. No pro sports teams to be found

10. Company is one of the largest in the world, but kind of at a stand still. Stock doing great though.

Notes about Chicago job:

1. Smaller company, more ability to impact products

2. Less job security, since company is smaller

3. Closer to home, will know people I've been friends with for a long time

4. White Sox, Bears, Bulls

5. Job is more relevant to what I liked doing in school

6. Chicago is more expensive, $15,000 a year more expensive according to Wolfram

7. I can live off my parents for like 6 months to pay off my student loans and the money I will use to get a new car

8. I don't think anybody actually likes Chicago weather...they just get used to it

9. Company is innovative, likely to be big player in cloud storage/services

10. The company is very casual and loose on policies. I can work from home twice a week.

So...unbiased thoughts please? Thanks.

Edited by chw42

One thing I'm not seeing in your lists is "Growth/long term prospects" in terms of your specific job?

Otherwise, you make a pretty convincing case for Austin, if the money is generally the same between the two. But if you could say, move upwards quickly in the smaller company or have a shot at stock options/something like that, then you could balance the cost of living more quickly.

Oh, unless you're an actual musician, you'll do fine with the Chicago Music Scene. And don't discount Austin being genuinely too bleeping hot for a portion of the year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
One thing I'm not seeing in your lists is "Growth/long term prospects" in terms of your specific job?

Otherwise, you make a pretty convincing case for Austin, if the money is generally the same between the two. But if you could say, move upwards quickly in the smaller company or have a shot at stock options/something like that, then you could balance the cost of living more quickly.

Oh, unless you're an actual musician, you'll do fine with the Chicago Music Scene. And don't discount Austin being genuinely too bleeping hot for a portion of the year.

Yeah, I like the Chicago job unless you are confident you can really move up quickly in the larger Austin company.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)

I think I did include that in there. The Chicago company is doing very well and they're about to go public soon. My offer also includes stock options.

As for the Austin company. It's a big big corporation. Moving up in those isn't easy. So in terms of career path, the Chicago company MIGHT be better.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
I think I did include that in there. The Chicago company is doing very well and they're about to go public soon. My offer also includes stock options.

As for the Austin company. It's a big big corporation. Moving up in those isn't easy. So in terms of career path, the Chicago company MIGHT be better.

Then it seems like it would be worth asking the chicago office a few more details about promotions/pay raise schedules, or at least how things have gone previously, and also specifically asking the stock option question. Try to work the math out more exactly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
Then it seems like it would be worth asking the chicago office a few more details about promotions/pay raise schedules, or at least how things have gone previously, and also specifically asking the stock option question. Try to work the math out more exactly.

The offer has a 5% annual bonus based on individual and company performance and I seriously doubt that will change over the first few years. I have a specific number on stock options and everything.

The math comes out to pretty much the same. Except the fact that Austin is a lot cheaper to live in by almost all the cost of living calculators I've used.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)
I know that people here are mostly Chicago based and are biased towards Chicago, but I'd like some hopefully unbiased help in deciding between two job offers.

One's in Chicago and one's in Austin Texas. Both pay pretty much the same. The job in Austin is with a larger and more lucrative corporation while the Chicago one is with a small company that's only been around for about 8 years. If I choose the Austin offer, they will offer relocation and sign-on bonus, Chicago company does not provide that.

Notes about Austin job:

1. No state income tax (saves about $3500 annually)

2. Austin area is filled with tech giants (AMD, IBM, Intel, TI, Google, Apple, Dell, etc), so it's a better job market for software engineers.

3. Austin is a lot cheaper to live in

4. Better live concert/music scene

5. Right next to U of Texas. So it's like I never left college.

6. Good weather. Never will I have to suffer through a 20 degree day again (at least for a few years).

7. I don't know anyone, will have to restart basically

8. Job isn't exactly what I want to do/did in college, but I'm adaptable.

9. No pro sports teams to be found

10. Company is one of the largest in the world, but kind of at a stand still. Stock doing great though.

Notes about Chicago job:

1. Smaller company, more ability to impact products

2. Less job security, since company is smaller

3. Closer to home, will know people I've been friends with for a long time

4. White Sox, Bears, Bulls

5. Job is more relevant to what I liked doing in school

6. Chicago is more expensive, $15,000 a year more expensive according to Wolfram

7. I can live off my parents for like 6 months to pay off my student loans and the money I will use to get a new car

8. I don't think anybody actually likes Chicago weather...they just get used to it

9. Company is innovative, likely to be big player in cloud storage/services

10. The company is very casual and loose on policies. I can work from home twice a week.

So...unbiased thoughts please? Thanks.

I like the fact you can work twice at home with the Chicago job. Man ... quality of life is pretty nice there. You can go get a f***ing haircut at your convenience, an oil change, whatever. Sometimes it's nice to be left alone and not feel like you are in an episode of the Office.

But both jobs sound great. There's something to be said about getting away. I will tell you this from going there. Austin is AWESOME and I've never heard a bad word about it. It is a big big party scene as you recognize. The UT women are beautiful. You might want to experience it.

As far as sports if you want to see the Sox in Houston or Dallas both are about 3 hour drives or 2.5 or so. It'll be a big change regarding pro sports. People there don't give a s*** about anything but TEXAS football and music. You will date some amazing women, though. But if you care that much about Bears, Bulls, Sox, you won't be having much fun in that regard except following them on tv and here.

If you want an adventure of a lifetime and maybe marry an amazing Texas girl, go for Austin for a few years. Actually a lot of non Texas natives live down there as well.

I'm just saying you'll probably like Austin ... unless the Texas mentality pisses you off down there. The native Texans think they are everything and the rest of the country sucks.

Edited by greg775