Nick Johnson

Special K

Per MLB Trade Rumors: "The Yankees declined their 2011 options for Kerry Wood, Lance Berkman and Nick Johnson and exercised their option on 2007 first rounder Andrew Brackman. It cost the Yankees $2MM to buy out Berkman's $15MM option and $250K to buy out Johnson's $5.5MM option."

Any chance the Sox try to grab a Nick Johnson on the cheap? I think it's a move that might be a solid idea.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Not a chance. The Sox don't go after really injury prone players, especially at the kind of prices that Johnson will get.

Seriously, who is dumb enough to offer Nick Johnson anything more than the minimum this year? I'd have been that dumb last year to the tune of maybe $2-3 million, but that was before he lost yet another season.

And anyway, the Sox don't go for injury prone players...like trading for Carlos Quentin or Jake Peavy or signing Andruw Jones?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
Not a chance. The Sox don't go after really injury prone players, especially at the kind of prices that Johnson will get.

I completely disagree. I can see us going cheap and signing him to be a middle of the order lefty DH. A minimum deal with incentives. Is it a good move? No... Might KW do it if he cannot find better options? Definitely...

I know he cant stay healthy for the life of him, but he kinda is exactly what this team needs: a high OBP lefty. anywho not that i like him but i disagree wholeheartedly that we won't look at him. we signed Dye coming off injury, traded for Quentin and Peavy, etc.

If...and this is a big if...we otherwise fill either the RF spot, and Quentin becomes the primary DH, I could totally see the Sox taking a gamble here to give themselves a LH option...who might be able to be pressed into service at 1b a few games a year even if that'd probably kill him.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
I completely disagree. I can see us going cheap and signing him to be a middle of the order lefty DH. A minimum deal with incentives. Is it a good move? No... Might KW do it if he cannot find better options? Definitely...

I know he cant stay healthy for the life of him, but he kinda is exactly what this team needs: a high OBP lefty. anywho not that i like him but i disagree wholeheartedly that we won't look at him. we signed Dye coming off injury, traded for Quentin and Peavy, etc.

If he isn't healthy, like always, he isn't filling a spot.

QUOTE (Go_Go_Sox79 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Every single year there is a post about Nick Johnson. He is always on the DL! Why would we want to sign him?

A league min. or minor league deal would be very low risk, high reward. He would be better than Kotsay when healthy, and cheaper. Maybe that limited role keeps him healthier, maybe not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
If he's signed for basically the league minimum plus incentives, and he winds up on the DL, then he's only filling a DL spot.

There were all these same kind of posts last year about him not getting paid a lot, and it only took one team to give him $5.5 million. I get the feeling that some stat-driven GM will give him more than incentives.

KW made a play for Nick Johnson last offseason but the Yankees saved the day and stepped in to sign him. Another year, another injury. I'm sure KW would be interested if he were cheap, and White Sox doctors found him to be sufficiently recovered from his latest injury. The only place we know for sure where he'll be next season is the DL.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 07:49 PM)
If he can be signed for super-cheap, and if TCQ is still around as maybe a DH, then I'd be all for signing him as the other side of the combo. Between those two and their potential, and injury history, I'd say that makes a good DH combo. Like Kotsay/Jones, except, not washed up.

This.