Is V-Mart the answer?

macsandz

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
He'd be a perfect fit for the rotating DH idea

He is perfect for Ozzie ball. Switch hitting, 2 positions. If we signed him we could let both Tank, Flowers and VMart start every game for the first 2 months, with VMart eventually sliding to whichever position fails more!

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
He is perfect for Ozzie ball. Switch hitting, 2 positions. If we signed him we could let both Tank, Flowers and VMart start every game for the first 2 months, with VMart eventually sliding to whichever position fails more!

You forgot about Kotsay

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
He's about the worst defensive catcher you can find out there.

Worth noting on this issue. the Red Sox had by far the most bases stolen against them of any team in baseball. 169 bases stolen against them, 2nd worst team was the Angels at 133. They threw out 20% of base stealers, good for 29th out of 30 teams (only the Yankees were worse).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Worth noting on this issue. the Red Sox had by far the most bases stolen against them of any team in baseball. 169 bases stolen against them, 2nd worst team was the Angels at 133. They threw out 20% of base stealers, good for 29th out of 30 teams (only the Yankees were worse).

I was thinking more of Martinez replacing PK at first and also DH. At the most maybe part timing it behind the dish. The last thing this team needs is a bigger problem defending the running game.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I would only want V Mart on this team as a primary dh, part time 1st baseman, and 3rd string, emergency catcher only.

You see it like I see it. It would provide the actual effective kind of rotating DH concept. Not the train wreck that was last season. He could DH tandem with CQ. He kills LHP.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I would only want V Mart on this team as a primary dh, part time 1st baseman, and 3rd string, emergency catcher only.

That would be great. I'd love to see the Sox sign Martinez to be the starting DH and re-sign AJ to be the starting Catcher with Castro as the primary backup. Having Martinez as a third string catcher gives the Sox a lot of real versatility with being able to pinch hit and/or pinch run for the catcher more freely.

I wouldn't want to see the Sox even consider bringing Martinez in to be the starting catcher however.

And I hope Flowers is not on the 25 man roster when they break camp.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
Just ditch this stupid rotating DH idea.

I don't think that having a rotating DH is a bad thing necessarily, providing your options can all hit a baseball competently. Our problem this past season wasn't a rotating DH, our problem was that most of them couldn't hit well.

Im actually more interested in Beltre. An awesome defender at 3B who bats with a high average, slugging percentage, and can consistently drive in runs. Plus hes prolly in the 2/24 or 3/36 contract range here. Something pretty good for the sox and Beltre in terms of length and dollars as a free agent.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 07:27 PM)
Im actually more interested in Beltre. An awesome defender at 3B who bats with a high average, slugging percentage, and can consistently drive in runs. Plus hes prolly in the 2/24 or 3/36 contract range here. Something pretty good for the sox and Beltre in terms of length and dollars as a free agent.

He's also historically inconsistent and one year removed from a 111 game, 8 HR, .683 OPS season. Good upside, but IMHO I don't think he's worth the risk.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
He's also historically inconsistent and one year removed from a 111 game, 8 HR, .683 OPS season. Good upside, but IMHO I don't think he's worth the risk.

Well, a lot of those missed games would have been avoided if he'd been wearing a cup.

Anyway...the Angels and Red Sox are both highly likely to be putting in bids on him. We may be somewhat weak at 3b, but we're deep there and we have at least 1 young guy who seems ready for a tryout at that position. Our financial resources can be better used elsewhere.