OBAMA/TRUMPCARE MEGATHREAD

Texsox

Aetna gobbling up Humana.....Yeah competition......Who will UNH buy...How about Cigna? Competition is drying up...Only way to make money is scaling up...

Yeah, I have about a dozen friends who work at Humana HQ wetting themselves right about now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Is that number reflective of what the consumer is paying vs. costs from provider. Relevant data point but difference between what impacts the everyday people (albeit interrelated since the insurance companies aren't in the business of eating costs) and what impacts potential bottom line of insurance companies.

That was one thing this bill was not supposed to deal with - the ability of companies to increase out of pocket costs to their employees - outside of reduced cost growth overall. The only way to really do that in this bill would have been to sever the relationship between employers and health insurance entirely because employers will always have some right to negotiate different health care insurance contracts as long as employers are in the game. What that is...remember...is a pay cut. It's a pay cut that is possible because wages don't drop easily in response to an economic disaster but health care spending cuts are a way that wage cuts can be passed along. The 2 ways to fix that problem would be to remove the employer-health care relationship entirely or to stop destroying the economy. I'm ok with either of those, but I will not pretend this bill had the ability to do either of them.

I hear Kansas lawmakers again are going to screw Kansans out of health insurance declining all the provisions of Obamacare. Yet all these lawmake®s get ®e-elected ove® and ove®.

Amazing.

Edited by greg775

• 2 months later...

Premiums going up from $3.00- $25.00 per paycheck

Dental going up $1.63- $4.61 per paycheck

Vision going up $1.25-$3.25 per paycheck

Rx co pays going up from $10 to $12

They are removing PPO plus plan by 2018(thank you Narcissus you piece of s***)

But hey we now have transgendered coverage :usa

To any Soxtalker who has time to answer this question ...

Let's say I quit my job tomorrow and decided to be a consultant and work for myself and needed coverage. How do I get Obamacare or would Blue Cross individual coverage be cheaper?

Anyhow, what is the protocol to get Obamacare? How would I do it? What are the procedures, the step by step instructions to take? Thank u!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 11:11 PM)

Let's say I quit my job tomorrow and decided to be a consultant and work for myself and needed coverage. How do I get Obamacare or would Blue Cross individual coverage be cheaper?

Anyhow, what is the protocol to get Obamacare? How would I do it? What are the procedures, the step by step instructions to take? Thank u!

Have you ever bothered looking something up yourself? Or do you just ask your wife or kids to get answers for you?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 11:11 PM)

"Obamacare" isn't a coverage plan like Medicare. What you'd do is go on to your state's healthcare exchange website (through healthcare.gov) and shop for plans there. Different insurance companies (including possibly Blue Cross) sell plans through the exchanges, and depending on your income levels etc you may be eligible for subsidies. There are people who can help guide you through that process.

FWIW, the question your asking is one of the strong positives behind a more universal health care system rather than having it tied to heavily to your employer like it is now.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 15, 2015 -> 05:16 PM)
Damn. Don't know what you do but $25 is still so much lower than what comes out of my check. I pay $100 a month medical. Think $10 a month dental.

$25 is the increase....Not the total premium. It will increase $50/mo. My total monthly healthcare premiums right now are $625/mo.(including dental and vision) Increasing to over $700/mo next year...

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 07:01 AM)
$25 is the increase....Not the total premium. It will increase $50/mo. My total monthly healthcare premiums right now are $625/mo.(including dental and vision) Increasing to over $700/mo next year...

Presume that is family coverage?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
Presume that is family coverage?

Yes. PPO Plus through UHC.....Also we were informed that that plan will not be available come 2018.....So i did like my plan but unfortunately i do not get to keep it because Obama knows better. But like i said i do have transgender coverage now, so i have that going for me...

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 12:36 PM)
Yes. PPO Plus through UHC.....Also we were informed that that plan will not be available come 2018.....So i did like my plan but unfortunately i do not get to keep it because Obama knows better. But like i said i do have transgender coverage now, so i have that going for me...

So in 2018 should we call you Cait?

Prior to Obamacare, insurance premiums never rose and insurance companies never changed or decided not to continue offering specific plans.

They did change, about as frequently as you inject absolutes into the conversation in order to obscure the point.

Feel free to post some data showing a higher rate of premium increases or plan cancellations post-ACA. Otherwise it doesn't look like there's much of a point being made.

It doesn't even matter. There doesn't need to be a higher rate of premium increases or plan cancellations post-ACA. If someone's family got a policy cancelled or had huge rate increases due to the ACA, then the ACA, then "if you like our insurance, you keep our insurance" was as much of a lie as being told that there were WMD in Iraq.

As I've said a million times over....Obamacare did some things that were really good...but it hasn't made healthcare more affordable for the masses and it hasn't fixed a major overall issue related to speed of increases. Yes, I am aware their are some data points out their saying increases have been curbed a bit, but I still question overall data as you could have increases curbed because you've lowered overall benefits, etc. Bottom line, as a country, we have a couple main issues related to healthcare (no particular order).

1. Access...Obamacare did a much better job providing access to all (and you know what, just cause I have a good job and money doesn't mean I should be lucky enough to have healthcare...everyone should have it...now should I have the right to pay a little premium to get better care, certainly, but to get good / quality care, that should be open to everyone.

2. Cost...Costs are still absurd. In an era where salaries increase far less, the increase in healthcare costs is just absurd to me. You can throw stats that obamacare has slowed increases, but reality is, for many middle class families, the increase in healthcare costs per year will be a pretty good proxy to their actual raise (which is just absurd). I might be generalizing based upon what I've witnessed from friends (thankfully that isn't the case in our house) but I am fairly certain this is true. Between hospital bills and insurance premiums for our family, we spent between 10 - 15K. That includes cost of one normal and healthy (Thank the lord) birth and other then that, nothing else out of the ordinary (a couple prescription lotions for my kids eczema which cost

Will be curious to see what the increase is this year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
It doesn't even matter. There doesn't need to be a higher rate of premium increases or plan cancellations post-ACA. If someone's family got a policy cancelled or had huge rate increases due to the ACA, then the ACA, then "if you like our insurance, you keep our insurance" was as much of a lie as being told that there were WMD in Iraq.

If any family anywhere had a policy canceled or had a premium increase it is as big of a lie as the justification for a war that cost billions, killed thousands of american soldiers and created regional instability we are grappling with to this day?

Out of curiosity, was it as terrible as before when an additional 30 million Americans could not get health insurance? Or was that okay, but this is comparable to starting a war?

If any family anywhere had a policy canceled or had a premium increase it is as big of a lie as the justification for a war that cost billions, killed thousands of american soldiers and created regional instability we are grappling with to this day?

Out of curiosity, was it as terrible as before when an additional 30 million Americans could not get health insurance? Or was that okay, but this is comparable to starting a war?

I don't think a lie is "less bad" just because the effect of the lie wasn't as bad.

Getting 30 million more Americans health insurance is a good thing, but if you are competent at your job you find a way to accomplish that without screwing over millions of other Americans, or at the very least be honest with them and tell them that they are going to get screwed over.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
If someone's family got a policy cancelled or had huge rate increases due to the ACA,

That's the problem, though. Post hoc ergo propter hoc. You need to at least demonstrate that, statistically, the rate hike or cancellation was at least plausibly caused by the ACA. There were rate hikes and plan cancellations/changes every year prior to the ACA.

eta: my plan has not changed and my insurance rates went up less than inflation last year. This is no more or less proof than cknoll's situation of the effects of Obamacare. Obama was dumb to make that promise; it's not something he could even control

Edited by StrangeSox

That's the problem, though. Post hoc ergo propter hoc. You need to at least demonstrate that, statistically, the rate hike or cancellation was at least plausibly caused by the ACA. There were rate hikes and plan cancellations/changes every year prior to the ACA.

Not that I would put it past insurance companies to lie, but plenty of people were told their policies were no longer being offered because they were not ACA compliant. The language in the bill itself clearly outlines coverages that are no longer allowed.