Phil Rogers Must be on drugs

sin city sox fan

I've said it before: Phil Rogers is a complete idiot, and this article proves it. Jim Hendry should never hold another GM job again, after spending $140M on a fifth place NL Central team that is handicapped for years by incredibly stupid long term contracts. I can't believe the Tribune continues to print his hallucinations.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 07:13 PM)
I've said it before: Phil Rogers is a complete idiot, and this article proves it. Jim Hendry should never hold another GM job again, after spending $140M on a fifth place NL Central team that is handicapped for years by incredibly stupid long term contracts. I can't believe the Tribune continues to print his hallucinations.

Jim Hendry did exactly what the Tribune Company asked him to do; he packed that ballpark, maximized revenue, and made it possible for that team to be sold to an investor for a good return despite the bankruptcy of the parent company.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 12:23 AM)
Jim Hendry did exactly what the Tribune Company asked him to do; he packed that ballpark, maximized revenue, and made it possible for that team to be sold to an investor for a good return despite the bankruptcy of the parent company.

Point well taken

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 01:01 PM)
Point well taken

I think there are things worth criticizing Hendry on; the Bradley Deal, for example, but depleting his farm system and going for the title is not one of them. He's managed to surprise me already in how rapidly that system has recovered and started producing MLB talent again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
Why do we have to put up with crappy writers filling space when that space/money could be spent on better writers?

Sometimes I think people's expectations are too high for these writers. I agree this particular article was among the dumbest things I've ever read, but in general what do you want the guy to do? He can't tell the future, and, with the hot stove being pretty boring and void of any real news for both Chicago teams so far, there really isn't much he can put in a long column that won't be mundane and skipable, especially considering his audience is different than a more advanced White Sox blog/fan site/etc.

At least Rogers isn't a pompous ass, like some other writers, and he doesn't hold grudges or stubbornly stick to biased coverage even though he's not the most advanced baseball mind out there.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
Sometimes I think people's expectations are too high for these writers. I agree this particular article was among the dumbest things I've ever read, but in general what do you want the guy to do? He can't tell the future, and, with the hot stove being pretty boring and void of any real news for both Chicago teams so far, there really isn't much he can put in a long column that won't be mundane and skipable, especially considering his audience is different than a more advanced White Sox blog/fan site/etc.

At least Rogers isn't a pompous ass, like some other writers, and he doesn't hold grudges or stubbornly stick to biased coverage even though he's not the most advanced baseball mind out there.

I wouldn't mind it if he looked at something insightful. What about the 10 best games of the year? He can write an article covering each one of them in depth. Speculative pieces are garbage and pointless, but atleast writing articles about the past brings about nostalgic feelings (so long as they don't mention anything about the Twins games).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
I wouldn't mind it if he looked at something insightful. What about the 10 best games of the year? He can write an article covering each one of them in depth. Speculative pieces are garbage and pointless, but atleast writing articles about the past brings about nostalgic feelings (so long as they don't mention anything about the Twins games).

I see your point, but eh, Jim's is good enough for me.

White Sox: Realistically there's little chance they will get Jeter but the fit shouldn't be discounted out of hand. Alexei Ramirez, like Castro, is a rising star. But his original four-year deal ends in 2011 and he will become an expensive proposition starting in '12. If the White Sox signed Jeter, they could make a series of moves that would give them a chance to win in '11 and '12, the last seasons they could have their strong starting rotation in place.

Ramirez could be dealt, quite possibly to the Yankees along with a bad contract or two (Mark Teahen or Scott Linebrink and catching prospect Tyler Flowers) for Curtis Granderson and possibly one of the Yankees' two advanced catching prospects, Jesus Montero and Austin Romine. Then they could explore seriously another deal that has been discussed — Carlos Quentin to the Phillies for Raul Ibanez. That would give the White Sox an outfield of Juan Pierre, Granderson and Alex Rios, with Ibanez providing a Plan B if Dayan Viciedo doesn't grab first base.

Yes, lets trade the best SS in the AL to overpay the worst defensive one.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Nov 28, 2010 -> 12:03 AM)
It's the CQ for Ibanez trade that's the most mind-boggling. Ibanez will be 38, gets $12M, can't play the field, and had an .800 OPS last season. I repeat: CQ+ $12M for an .800 OPS DH.

The Sox netting Jesus Montero baffled me the most. Phil needs to chill out or something. He's gone looney tunes.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Nov 28, 2010 -> 01:03 AM)
It's the CQ for Ibanez trade that's the most mind-boggling. Ibanez will be 38, gets $12M, can't play the field, and had an .800 OPS last season. I repeat: CQ+ $12M for an .800 OPS DH.

That was my reaction too. Imagining that trade is obnoxious.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
Yes, lets trade the best SS in the AL to overpay the worst defensive one.

Another brilliant idea from Rogers. Yes, let's get rid of our young Silver Slugging (and Gold Gloving, in everyone's eyes except the actual voters) shortstop to bring in an aging, fading, overpaid veteran because Alexei is going to get a nice contract in 2012. And to do that we have to top the Yankees' $15M/year offer and three year contract. How much money do the Sox have left to spend this offseason, Phil?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 28, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
For Curtis Granderson!

I know Tex is being sarcastic and I know the point you are making. And you are both right. I didn't see the Yankmees (the best team money can buy) win the world series with these guys and wonder why Phil would even write this stuff as being on option for the Sox. It's just to stir the pot in what has been a very slow off season so far for the Sox. Only a week before the winter meetings.

Phil Rogers felt the need to let the world know that the Red Sox are still very interested in Justin Upton and, um, well, that's it. I'm not even going to bother posting the link.

Also, what do you do when you have dreams of getting sprayed by a skunk while running?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 03:31 AM)
Phil Rogers felt the need to let the world know that the Red Sox are still very interested in Justin Upton and, um, well, that's it. I'm not even going to bother posting the link.

Also, what do you do when you have dreams of getting sprayed by a skunk while running?

Probably shouldn't go running

This is all about Rogers' relationship with Curtis Granderson.

I think he's obsessed with figuring out a way to bring him back to Chicago...unfortunately, it doesn't make much sense.

The part that's the most mind-boggling, though, is the idea of bringing in Raul Ibanez and playing him at 1B. If we're going to be a .500 team next year, we might as well do that with Viciedo, Morel, Beckham and Sale rather than a bunch of veteran journeymen like Ibanez, Teahen, Vizquel, Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay.

I know Ibanez was very dangerous 2-3 seasons ago, but his best years have obviously passed and he's uber expensive. This wouldn't be a case of picking up an undervalued/injured player like a Jermaine Dye or Dustin Hermanson on the cheap.