Juan Uribe Is About To Get Paid...

chetkincaid

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
Yeah, I remember that being the case...but come on Wite, what do people remember about the Postseason? The big hits, the big defensive plays. Juan has a tendency to get some big hits in the Postseason. He did it for us in 05', and he certainly did it for the Giants last season, including the game winning sac fly in one game and a big home run in another.

I remember big defense in the 2005 World Series, like game saving defense. I honestly don't remember any big hits of his, though he did hit well; I honestly didn't even remember that he hit that well.

I'm not a big believe in clutch, but Uribe is clutch. He's just not a very good hitter otherwise.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)
I remember big defense in the 2005 World Series, like game saving defense. I honestly don't remember any big hits of his, though he did hit well; I honestly didn't even remember that he hit that well.

I'm not a big believe in clutch, but Uribe is clutch. He's just not a very good hitter otherwise.

Agreed. And if the clutch hits continue in the Postseason, he is clearly worth that payday. Although this is really not something you should be signing players based on. I guess I agree with most of the people here...it's a decent signing...won't kill them, could help them.

Congrats to Juan "Don't Tell Me What You Hit Tell Me When You Hit It" Uribe. The only good news for the Dodgers re: that contract IMO is that the overall weakness of the NL West should have them in contention every year of his deal, and when Juan's team is in contention he goes all out. If however the Dodgers have a year where they fall out then Uribe will take the year off and hotdog it, and the deal will look horrible. But yeah, this is great for Juan and potentially Brent Lillibridge and Eduardo Escobar's trade value. Maybe a package of the two of them could net us a nice reliever or something.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
Will Scott Linebrink become this loved when he becomes an ex White Sox? Uribe was another guy who was pounded on this board. All of a sudden, the amount of people who always loved him has grown faster than the deficit.

Gloat away, Dick. I guess you should be the only guy who is happy to see him do well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Gloat away, Dick. I guess you should be the only guy who is happy to see him do well.

For a guy who "has always loved Juan", I sure didn't see you posting anything positive when I was being ripped for defending him. If you loved him, wouldn't you have stuck up for him?

I love Uribe, but that contract is not going to work out so well for the Dodgers. Teams are spending some money this year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)
Uribe hit .149/.196/.277/.473 in the 2010 postseason. He did fairly well in big spots, hence a positive WPA, but it wasn't anything otherworldly.

As I've said before, I like Juan because of his defense but his offense drove me beyond nuts, that being said the one thing you can always count on from him was a sac fly when you needed one in a big spot.

Always have been a huge fan of Uribe, can't ever think of saying a bad word about him.

He's one of the players I advocated bringing back on a number of occasions.

As far as the comparison with Linebrink, it's just different for a starting player (which he was for most of his Sox career) versus a middle reliever or set-up guy. I get it, Linebrink 2008=Uribe 2004/05, but you have to take into account that Uribe made some huge plays for our WS winning team. If nothing else, that buys him permanent folk hero status.

I don't think very many care about barely getting in to the playoffs in 2008, and certainly his performance in 09 and 10 was comparatively worse than Uribe because Juan ALSO was one of the most important ingredients at stabilizing the left side of the INF after Crede went down in 08. Basically, that year's OMar Vizquel.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 05:11 AM)
Always have been a huge fan of Uribe, can't ever think of saying a bad word about him.

He's one of the players I advocated bringing back on a number of occasions.

As far as the comparison with Linebrink, it's just different for a starting player (which he was for most of his Sox career) versus a middle reliever or set-up guy. I get it, Linebrink 2008=Uribe 2004/05, but you have to take into account that Uribe made some huge plays for our WS winning team. If nothing else, that buys him permanent folk hero status.

I don't think very many care about barely getting in to the playoffs in 2008, and certainly his performance in 09 and 10 was comparatively worse than Uribe because Juan ALSO was one of the most important ingredients at stabilizing the left side of the INF after Crede went down in 08. Basically, that year's OMar Vizquel.

Which was a role Uribe had great value for us, but not one worth $5 million. That's what he was looking at for 2009 if we held on to him and I think the fact the Giants got him for $1 million shows we made the right call.

Just because people didn't want to overpay for Uribe doesn't mean he wasn't valued or liked. We all know he is a tremendous teammate and a clutch performer. He just wasn't worth what the baseball rules were going to force us to pay him.

• 5 months later...
QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ May 3, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
Figured you'd guys would get a kick out of this blog as much as I do, my Dodgers fan brother linked me:

http://emojuanuribe.tumblr.com/

uribe.png

What was the actual story behind that pic? I know the Onion had something about how Uribe was left out by teammates or something, but I don't get why all this is happening.

Sox players loved Uribe and his horrible English.