Paul Konerko Re-Signs with White Sox

ozzfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)
Let's be honest though, Dayan Viciedo could benefit a lot from 1 more full season in AAA, especially if he's getting at bats every day and playing a position in the field every day. The problem comes if you have to sign Konerko and Dunn for 3-4 years each; Dayan Viciedo does not need to sit in AAA for 3 years waiting on them.

I'd say Morel's more of a long term answer at 3b than a short term answer. He may well struggle at it next year, but he really does belong there.

That's why Dayan's value is pretty good for a NL team, which is like AAA anyway :D . The sox don't have to trade Dayan and shouldn't if it's not a good value. But a lot of teams with low payroll may be looking for a potentially impact bat like his.

I think Morel could be a long term guy at 3B. Yet he may struggle next year--at least hitting. The sox will stick with him if his glove work is good. Yet with Viciedo, his struggles in the field would limit his AB's with the sox.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my offseason plan for another site, I suggested trading Viciedo to Seattle. The Mariners were last in MLB in both batting average and slugging, Vicideo's two main skills. They might be able to use him in their rebuilding process. The AL West has a ton of LH pitching talent (especially if the Rangers re-up Lee) which Viciedo absolutely mashes (.960 OPS this season vs. LH). Seattle declined the option on Branyan, so their DH spot is open. They also just traded 3B Lopez, but it'd be hard to imagine a strong defensive-minded team experiment with Viciedo there.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
In my offseason plan for another site, I suggested trading Viciedo to Seattle. The Mariners were last in MLB in both batting average and slugging, Vicideo's two main skills. They might be able to use him in their rebuilding process. The AL West has a ton of LH pitching talent (especially if the Rangers re-up Lee) which Viciedo absolutely mashes (.960 OPS this season vs. LH). Seattle declined the option on Branyan, so their DH spot is open. They also just traded 3B Lopez, but it'd be hard to imagine a strong defensive-minded team experiment with Viciedo there.

Your big problem is...The M's just traded for Justin Smoak, who takes the spot that you'd want Viciedo at in an ideal world, 1b.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)

50 PAs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
Your big problem is...The M's just traded for Justin Smoak, who takes the spot that you'd want Viciedo at in an ideal world, 1b.

In an ideal world, Viciedo would be able to play defense. But from what we saw last season, he doesn't have the best hands. He may have more value at DH.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
Anyone think it's realistic that if Red Sox miss out on Crawford and can't come to some sort of deal for A-Gon without the extension they make PK a huge 2 year offer?

Possibly. But they could also just try to re-sign Beltre.

2 new updates on the Konerko situation.

MONDAY, 1:15am: Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets that Monday's meeting will involve Konerko's agent and assistant GM Rick Hahn. With the Orioles viewed as the only other serious suitor for Konerko, there's a "strong feeling" the White Sox will get a deal done as early as this week.

SUNDAY, 9:29pm: Reinsdorf will do anything he can to re-sign Konerko, a source tells Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com.

If the meeting is with Hahn, they're talking contract details. He'll be back unless the two sides had different ideas for the contract.

Edited by chw42

This would be fantastic if we can get both back.

I just have to write this down...

Pierre 7

Beckham 4

Rios 8

Dunn 0

Konerko 3

Ramirez 6

Quentin 9

Pierzynski 2

Morel 5

Teahen (1B, 3B, corner OF)

Vizquel (SS, 2B, 3B)

Castro ©

De Aza/Gartrell (OF)

Danks

Floyd

Buehrle

Jackson

Peavy/Garcia-or-fill-in

Putz

Thornton

Santos

Sale

Infante

other-short-reliever

Pena/long-reliever

After the season I didn't think that would even be possible. But it looks damn good, if we can pull these couple deals off. Maybe even go after one more good reliever.

I guess Gartrell played fairly well in the AFL or Winter Ball that he's now considered a legit option?

The funny thing is that nobody ever would have thought one year ago that the contracts for Derek Jeter with the Yankees (3 years with 4th as option) would have been remotely similar...I still don't believe the White Sox are crazy enough to go 3 years and $51 million for Konerko, but it's crazy to think that those are the numbers that will come in and that 25% of the fanbase will actually be somewhat pleased with that signing.

Maybe after Werth, those numbers make sense, but holy hell, they scare me going down the line 2-3 years. Part of it is the legitimate fear that Viciedo is a break-out star and goes on to become an All-Star and Paulie breaks down and there's nothing close to a replacement bat in the system with that impact.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
What no Lillibridge?!

If DeAza tears it up in ST, maybe.

But since Lilly can play CF at least and has more positional versatility (and so does Omar at age 44-45), they seem to prefer those two.

DeAza seems like he needs to be getting regular PT to be effective, imo.

In ideal world, they would jettison Teahen's contract, but that's not possible and KW isn't going to eat another $3-6 million because they think Teahen can make himself valuable (to at least one other team) again.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
It sounds like the Diamondbacks are making a big late push for Paulie. The consensus is that it's far to late in the process to have an impact.

The thing that would suck there is we would only get their 2nd round pick.

Seems pretty unlikely, location makes sense but that team is far from competitive, despite how chaotic the NL West is...and the Giants aren't so bad, either.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
Chuck Garfien:

White Sox meeting with Paul Konerko's agent Craig Landis at 11am eastern. Diamondbacks reportedly making big push.

I wonder what kind of hit PK would take to his legacy here if he signed with the Diamondbacks for a similar or lesser offer than what we were offering him...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
I wonder what kind of hit PK would take to his legacy here if he signed with the Diamondbacks for a similar or lesser offer than what we were offering him...

It would upset me if did for equal or less, if he does for more money, I guess I'm fine with that.

Jon Morosi

Asked if he expects Konerko to be with #WhiteSox by end of this week, Reinsdorf said, "I hope so."

Reinsdorf on Konerko: "He belongs in Chicago." #WhiteSox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
I think that Paulie is going to get a monster offer from some club... thinking he's in our back pocket is a mistake.

With the current state of the market place, a 2 or 3 year deal at 13M per year is a relative bargain (and I use the term "relative" for a reason). 2 years with an option even more so. However, if he wants to win it would appear we are one of the better options.

If he was willing to play DH, the Angels might be wise to give him a shot given they have a hole in there pocket and it just seems stupid to give Crawford as much as he's asking for.