The official Winter Meetings trade idea thread

macsandz

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
I almost think one of the worst things that happened to him was his huge power surge in the playoffs a few years back...ever since then it's been a down town swing all the time. Like I said...I think he's one of those prime players that needs a change of scenery desperately...and definitely worth the risk. As much as I'd love to see CQ succeed...I just have more reservations about him being a completely hopeless headcase than I do Upton's upside. With Upton at least you'll get the solid D with about the same avg. Tough call though IMO...

If you look at his numbers in his great 2007 season, there's one thing that stands out to me; his .394 BABIP. Those are "Rod Carew" type numbers; those are the numbers you put up when you have complete control over your bat and know exactly what the pitcher is going to do to you...and even Carew couldn't sustain those kind of numbers. (And he struck out 1/3 or 1/4 as much as Upton).

I think he's just a big swing, big strikeout guy, and I don't know if he's ever going to change that. A change of scenery could help, but he'd have to be ready to totally overhaul his swing, and even if he did, there's no guarantee it wouldn't make things worse (the Sox, for example, tried to overhaul Flowers's swing this year to try to cut down on his strikeouts, and he couldn't hit a lick afterwards).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could the Sox opt to move Alex Rios in order to create payroll flexibility? Not sure what his value is, but last seasons performance probably means you could move him if the club wanted. The hard part is that he is the centerfielder the club has needed for an extended period of time, but the Sox have Jared Mitchell in the wings and there are some other potential options of players you could find and it might free-up the payroll needed to address the bullpen.

Not necessarily saying I'd endorse it, but it might be something to consider. Most everything we read people suggest Buehrle/Danks/Floyd/Quentin if the club were trying to shed some payroll but Rios has to be possibility.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
Could the Sox opt to move Alex Rios in order to create payroll flexibility? Not sure what his value is, but last seasons performance probably means you could move him if the club wanted. The hard part is that he is the centerfielder the club has needed for an extended period of time, but the Sox have Jared Mitchell in the wings and there are some other potential options of players you could find and it might free-up the payroll needed to address the bullpen.

Not necessarily saying I'd endorse it, but it might be something to consider. Most everything we read people suggest Buehrle/Danks/Floyd/Quentin if the club were trying to shed some payroll but Rios has to be possibility.

I still think he'd be hard to move especially if you're actually trying to get value back for him. Second, as you said we need his cf defense and we have nobody that could step in this season and take his spot.

I wonder if the White Sox would have any interest in George Sherill. Sherill was awful last year and I have no idea why, but he was pretty good for a few years and if Thorty becomes the closer the team will need another lefty.

Lefties hit under .200 against him in his career.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
I still think he'd be hard to move especially if you're actually trying to get value back for him. Second, as you said we need his cf defense and we have nobody that could step in this season and take his spot.

No denying the move would open up and create a position. If the Sox could than turn around and deal some talent for Rasmus it could make sense or if they have targeted any other young or veteran centerfielders.

Or could the Sox spin Rios in a 3 way deal (or seperate trade) that involves the Sox getting Granderson, some cash, plus a prospect? Not sure if it would be worth it or not to be honest, but just something Kenny might consider.

Is Dunn for sure penciled in as the DH? Is there any chance he can play LF or RF still? IF he could play one of the corner OF spots, then we should trade CQ for prospects, then trade Floyd, Viciedo, and two other prospects to Brewers for Fielder, and resign PK. A 3-4-5 punch of Dunn, Konerko, and Fielder would be insane. But that is only if Dunn could play RF. I know that Brewers said they are most likely not trading Fielder...

Who is better defensively in the OF. Dunn or CQ?

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
I'd love to get Willingham.

He'd obviously be a better #3 hitter than Rios, but I don't know if would want Rios hitting behind Dunn and Konerko with all the ground balls he hits.

Willingham

Dunn

PK

That would be an insane stretch of .OBP...

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
Yes please. It would likely take Q + Tank. At that price may as well go for BJ Upton.

There's no way it takes both. Might be one or the other, but Quentin as the center piece would take more.

Willingham only has one year of arb left.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
Ramirez shouldn't/won't be traded for a long time.

That could change based on what happened when they tried to talk long term contact. That went really quiet, very quickly, and the Sox picked up his option without any comment. That makes me wonder what he thinks he is worth, and if that might change the Sox mind about his time here.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 5, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
Quick question: the $15 million dollar trade kicker or whatever the hell it is that would come into play in 2012 if Buehrle is traded would be paid by the Sox or the team trading for him?

I thought it was said that wasn't for the last year of the contract, it was only before this year?

That could change based on what happened when they tried to talk long term contact. That went really quiet, very quickly, and the Sox picked up his option without any comment. That makes me wonder what he thinks he is worth, and if that might change the Sox mind about his time here.

Theyre busy with issues that are pressing now (Konerko, trades, etc.). I'm guessing Alexei's extension has put on the backburner until these things have resolved themselves.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
I thought it was said that wasn't for the last year of the contract, it was only before this year?

I'm pretty sure that's true...because of the fact that mark's 10/5 rights just kicked in. He doesn't need the trade kicker when he has a full NTC: he can ask a team for an extension to waive that clause.

QUOTE (bulokis @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
Getting Choo from the Indians would be an amazing pick up but it will not happen.

It would also cost Beckham, Viciedo, and Mitchell. The Indians have no pressing need to deal Shin Soo Choo, and they certainly have no need to deal him within the division.

It'd be amazing to pick up Joe Mauer and Miguel Cabrera too, contracts and all, but I can put fantasies aside for realities.