Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Pale Sox

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
This reminds me of the debates about whether or not emotions effect play. Of course they do, to say otherwise is silly - these are human beings. Similarly here, I am sure it will have some effect. The real question is, how much of one? On current players or prospective ones? No one can know the answer, but I think we can all say pretty confidently that any effect won't be a positive one.

Also...

Oh my lord. Ouzo by itself is bad enough, but mixed with Coke? I think I'd rather drink vomit.

Let me clarify. The Coke is to drink while eating the Gyro. The ouzo is the dessert. I would never ruin a good liquor by mixing it with coke. That would be awful.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
I'm sure there are. but I bet if you ask them would you rather play in this situation or for the Pirates, the answer would be different.

But a lot of times it's not just us vs the Pirates. Players typically have a handful of options to choose from. When it's the Sox vs a similar team with a potential for similar success and near equal pay, why go with the soap opera?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
Lightweight.

LOL, at this point in my life, yes. I am no longer 22.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
Let me clarify. The Coke is to drink while eating the Gyro. The ouzo is the dessert. I would never ruin a good liquor by mixing it with coke. That would be awful.

Good to hear.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
But a lot of times it's not just us vs the Pirates. Players typically have a handful of options to choose from. When it's the Sox vs a similar team with a potential for similar success and near equal pay, why go with the soap opera?

I'm not denying that the Oney situation could cause some problems. But many players prefer an open coach to one that doesn't communicate and you have no idea where you stand. Showalter was one of these.

when a players is making a decision to sign with a team there are many factors. Usually the top factors are(don't go to extremes and imply I'm saying always) Money, length of contract, geography and chance to win. Think of how players have stated "I don't worry about the business end I leave that for my agent, thast's why I pay him."

Again, I'm not saying it isn't a factor but it's way down this prioity list. It doesn't effect your pay, home or family.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
I know it's been slow around here. But are people really THAT concerned/bothered with this Ozzie/Oney/Jenks crap? Who cares. Let's drink.

Just broke out some Sandeman Tawny Port with lunch since you guys made me hungry and thristy. :cheers

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
I know it's been slow around here. But are people really THAT concerned/bothered with this Ozzie/Oney/Jenks crap? Who cares. Let's drink.

I just think it's another negative incident that piles up on top of all kinds of negative incidents. I have been very supportive of Ozzie over the years, but the guy seems to think he is Tony Montana and he can do whatever the hell he wants, every one else be damned. Well, that has to change, or he needs to be somewhere else.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
I just think it's another negative incident that piles up on top of all kinds of negative incidents. I have been very supportive of Ozzie over the years, but the guy seems to think he is Tony Montana and he can do whatever the hell he wants, every one else be damned. Well, that has to change, or he needs to be somewhere else.

QFT

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)

Oh ok. Well, I'm still gonna drink. And I'm drunk as f*** right now. Too much whiskey.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
I'm not denying that the Oney situation could cause some problems. But many players prefer an open coach to one that doesn't communicate and you have no idea where you stand. Showalter was one of these.

when a players is making a decision to sign with a team there are many factors. Usually the top factors are(don't go to extremes and imply I'm saying always) Money, length of contract, geography and chance to win. Think of how players have stated "I don't worry about the business end I leave that for my agent, thast's why I pay him."

Again, I'm not saying it isn't a factor but it's way down this prioity list. It doesn't effect your pay, home or family.

The answer to this is. Paul Konerko.

If he thought playing for Ozzie was a bad or some awful distraction, he'd a been bye bye.

Same with AJ. Both had offers to go elsewhere; both stayed. Case closed.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
It's getting close to intervention time with you.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
Yeah honestly, it's like 1 pm on a Thursday...

lol. Oh my goodness. Will somebody show me where in the 10 commandments that it's forbidden to get drunk during the day? I'm off from work, bored as hell and I had some Whiskey. Big deal.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 04:17 PM)
It was a sample of 100 random players. The question was who you'd LEAST like to play for and he came in first.

LINK

That's cause they actually thought of his name and put it down.

You think these lazy ballplayers even know who all the managers are? There are a few managers out in the public eye and Ozzie is one of em.

At least you took off your fire Ozzie sig through Christmas. Now it's back. Over this??

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
lol. Oh my goodness. Will somebody show me where in the 10 commandments that it's forbidden to get drunk during the day? I'm off from work, bored as hell and I had some Whiskey. Big deal.

It's not forbidden, but it's early afternoon. What you gonna do all night? Most people need to sleep 8 hours after being drunk. Are you able to stay up all afternoon n night now?

No worries, though. Party on, Garth. It's almost NY's Eve baby.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)

J4L,

What you do is your own business.

You just keep mentioning it lately, that's all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
The answer to this is. Paul Konerko.

If he thought playing for Ozzie was a bad or some awful distraction, he'd a been bye bye.

Same with AJ. Both had offers to go elsewhere; both stayed. Case closed.

Wait, the same guy who went on the radio after re-signing and claimed that all the bulls*** surrounding Ozzie last season was in fact a distraction and probably affected play on the field?

It's funny because the sparing between KW and Oz really got going when Ozzie's son was terminated for being a f***ing asshat which Guillen took as a personal affront. At this point how could anyone think firing Oney was anything but a good move?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Wait, the same guy who went on the radio after re-signing and claimed that all the bulls*** surrounding Ozzie last season was in fact a distraction and probably affected play on the field?

It's funny because the sparing between KW and Oz really got going when Ozzie's son was terminated for being a f***ing asshat which Guillen took as a personal affront. At this point how could anyone think firing Oney was anything but a good move?

True. However he did resign indicating that while a distraction this type of thing isn't a primary factor when determining where they want to sign a contract.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
True. However he did resign indicating that while a distraction this type of thing isn't a primary factor when determining where they want to sign a contract.

Yeah, but he's been here his entire career, basically.

That's a little different than someone who has no ties here and didn't win a championship here, with this manager.