Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Pale Sox

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
It's not unreasonable at all.

The White Sox didn't hire Oney because he was some genius in the video-editing room or something. They gave him a job as a favor to Ozzie. Every one of the privileges that Oney has been given are a result of the fact that his father is the manager of the Chicago White Sox.

If you read back in the thread, I supported Ozzie's natural desire to share parts of his life with his family, and that includes his work experiences. I have no problem with him telling his family about his job. But when you've got a high-profile job, your family has to respect that, and not share that information with the press or really with many people at all. Not only has Oney done that, but he SEEKS out the press to share this information with others. He USES the fact that his father is in a high-profile position for his own gain.

Obviously Ozzie can't force Oney to stop doing this, but what the Organization will eventually decide is that if Ozzie cannot stop his family members from sharing sensitive or private White Sox business with the press or with the public via Twitter, then it will sever all ties with the Guillen family. It will remove any chance of the Guillen family having this information from occurring. And it will do that by firing Ozzie Guillen.

It is unreasonale to "denounce" you child. I also don't agree with the statement that he should share personal experiences from work with his family. Being in the medical field and working with professional and olympic athletes there is no way I would share what is going on with them personally. This is the only part Ozzie is resposible for but it is not a something he should be fired for, yet. If it continues to happen then I'll be on the band wagon. He cannot control his adult children but he can control what he tells them.

Edited by ptatc

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think ozzie should denounce what Oney said, not Oney. Im not asking the guy to say Oney isnt his son anymore, I just would like Ozzie to do something to the effect of releasing a statement saying he doesnt agree with Oneys decision to attack Jenks in that manner.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
It would be a giant HR case for someone to be fire based on something another employee did regardless of their relation to said employee.

We haven't even gotten into the legal ramifications if the Sox fired Ozzie based on the actions of his adult child not employed by the Sox.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
That is not how life works. People don't get fired at work for something their adult children do. We've had employees children hired for summer help, the kids screw up and while they won't hire the employees children again, they don't hire the employee.

the last time Oney made an ass of himself the sox fired him. I have not seen major ramifications from that episode.

Oh yes it is. Let's get something straight...companies build cases against employees they want fired all the time. Yes, they usually do not just fire an employee with a sterling record at the workplace, but they can certainly document every misstep that that employee makes until they have enough ammunition to fire the employee.

In the case of Guillen, first of all, they don't have to build a case, because the White Sox are a private organization. Illinois is not a right to work state, and so the really don't even have to fire Ozzie for cause. They are not accountable to any stockholders and they really only need to worry about their reputation amongst the players, the fans, and major league baseball. Finally, there are already so many other reasons they can fire Ozzie, they really don't even need to use this particular one.

They can fire Ozzie Guillen today and say there are philosophical differences. They were going to trade him to the f***ing Marlins, for Christ's sakes...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
i think ozzie should denounce what Oney said, not Oney. Im not asking the guy to say Oney isnt his son anymore, I just would like Ozzie to do something to the effect of releasing a statement saying he doesnt agree with Oneys decision to attack Jenks in that manner.

I fully agree with this. He could even come out and say that he didn't get the info from him. He could say that Oney got the info from hanging out with Jenks.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
We haven't even gotten into the legal ramifications if the Sox fired Ozzie based on the actions of his adult child not employed by the Sox.

This is a non-issue. There are no legal ramifications. They can fire Ozzie for whatever the hell they want. All they have to do is pay out the term of his contract.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
This is a non-issue. There are no legal ramifications. They can fire Ozzie for whatever the hell they want. All they have to do is pay out the term of his contract.

His contract goes thorugh 2012 right?

Next offseason this might start weighing on people. They're nto paying 2 coaches for 2 years

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Oh yes it is. Let's get something straight...companies build cases against employees they want fired all the time. Yes, they usually do not just fire an employee with a sterling record at the workplace, but they can certainly document every misstep that that employee makes until they have enough ammunition to fire the employee.

In the case of Guillen, first of all, they don't have to build a case, because the White Sox are a private organization. Illinois is not a right to work state, and so the really don't even have to fire Ozzie for cause. They are not accountable to any stockholders and they really only need to worry about their reputation amongst the players, the fans, and major league baseball. Finally, there are already so many other reasons they can fire Ozzie, they really don't even need to use this particular one.

They can fire Ozzie Guillen today and say there are philosophical differences. They were going to trade him to the f***ing Marlins, for Christ's sakes...

This is true. They could fire Ozzie for phiolosophical differences or any number of things HE said or did. If the Sox came out and said the are firing him for things his son said, you can bet there would be legal and contractual issues.

The critical point here is that you want Ozzie gone, the Sox don't.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)

Again, it's true as long as they don't come out and say that they a terminating his contract due to what something his son did.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
This is true. They could fire Ozzie for phiolosophical differences or any number of things HE said or did. If the Sox came out and said the are firing him for things his son said, you can bet there would be legal and contractual issues.

The critical point here is that you want Ozzie gone, the Sox don't.

I never said I wanted Ozzie gone. But we're approaching a point in which I could come to that conclusion.

And as to your second point, they could come out and say they fired him because his son is a loud mouth and cannot keep White Sox business private. There really is nothing Ozzie could do about it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
I never said I wanted Ozzie gone. But we're approaching a point in which I could come to that conclusion.

And as to your second point, they could come out and say they fired him because his son is a loud mouth and cannot keep White Sox business private. There really is nothing Ozzie could do about it.

i agree with this. As I've said before, if this is what happened Ozzie, should be in some trouble, but not fired yet.

The problem with firing him for this is proving the source was Ozzie. If what rock said is true (and I don't doubt him) that Oney and Jenks were friends and went out together alot, there is sufficient enough doubt that only source could have been Ozzie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
His contract goes thorugh 2012 right?

Next offseason this might start weighing on people. They're nto paying 2 coaches for 2 years

He is under contract through 2011 with an option for 2012. The option becomes guaranteed if the White Sox win the division in 2011, so it better become guaranteed :)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
At what age do you no longer have responsibility for your children's actions?

This a great point. If Ozzie is responsible for Oney, many of the people in this thread need to be putting their mommy's and daddy's in this thread so we can talk to your responsible party's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
This a great point. If Ozzie is responsible for Oney, many of the people in this thread need to be putting their mommy's and daddy's in this thread so we can talk to your responsible party's.

That is not even close to a reasonable analogy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)

I do know how my father would have reacted if Twitter was around when I was Oney's age and I went on the rampages he's been on even calling out Ozzie's boss and it was as public as this is, my dad wouldn't say "he's a grown man, he's entitled to his opinion" He would make sure I never did that again. IMO, Ozzie could get Oney to stop if he really wanted him to stop. I think Ozzie actually likes it when Oney goes on a tear.

All Ozzie needs to say is he doesn't agree with Oney's rant, and also ban Oney from USCF and any park the White Sox play in. That will leave no doubt that Oney will not have access to information he shouldn't have access.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
i agree with this. As I've said before, if this is what happened Ozzie, should be in some trouble, but not fired yet.

The problem with firing him for this is proving the source was Ozzie. If what rock said is true (and I don't doubt him) that Oney and Jenks were friends and went out together alot, there is sufficient enough doubt that only source could have been Ozzie.

If they were such good friends and Oney thought Jenks had a drinking problem, why did he keep it quiet from the White Sox? Or at the very least, why didn't he try to get Jenks to get some help? Oney was ripping Jenks all last season. They weren't the buddies some are making them out to be.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)

As long as Ozzie doesn't allow Oney to be privy to personal, private information within the White Sox organization, then he is not responsible. However, that's not the case here, and probably won't be.

Imagine you brought your son into work with you and into a private meeting. He then tweets important private company information. You are absolutely responsible for that regardless if your son is 2, 25, or 60 years old.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
As long as Ozzie doesn't allow Oney to be privy to personal, private information within the White Sox organization, then he is not responsible. However, that's not the case here, and probably won't be.

Imagine you brought your son into work with you and into a private meeting. He then tweets important private company information. You are absolutely responsible for that regardless if your son is 2, 25, or 60 years old.

Two things change that situation. Number one he spent time as a member of the White Sox organization as an employee, and he had access to the team that way. He also apparently had a social relationship with Jenks outside of the clubhouse. If his information comes from one of those two sources, Ozzie isn't responsible for it at all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
If they were such good friends and Oney thought Jenks had a drinking problem, why did he keep it quiet from the White Sox? Or at the very least, why didn't he try to get Jenks to get some help? Oney was ripping Jenks all last season. They weren't the buddies some are making them out to be.

I missed where he said he did keep it quiet.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
I missed where he said he did keep it quiet.

no action taken by the team would indicate Oney not expressing them his concerns. If its all about be loyal to the White Sox, something Oney mentioned with Bernstein, shouldn't, your closer has a huge drinking problem be given to the team, not to the world after the season is over? The 2 were not buddies, at least for a couple of years. Oney likes to name drop on twitter all the time. He has never mentioned hanging with Jenks.

I think we can both agree Oney is an ass. What we disagree on is Ozzie's role with that. I'm not calling for Ozzie's head over this, although I have seen guys get canned for far less, I just think if Oney respects Ozzie as much as he claims, if Ozzie really wanted these things to stop, they would stop.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
Two things change that situation. Number one he spent time as a member of the White Sox organization as an employee, and he had access to the team that way. He also apparently had a social relationship with Jenks outside of the clubhouse. If his information comes from one of those two sources, Ozzie isn't responsible for it at all.

So why is it that people listen to Oney Guillen? How is it that he has any audience at all? Why does Jow Cowley use him as a source?