Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlantis-Like Landscape Discovered

Buried deep beneath the sediment of the North Atlantic Ocean lies an ancient, lost landscape with furrows cut by rivers and peaks that once belonged to mountains. Geologists recently discovered this roughly 56-million-year-old landscape using data gathered for oil companies.

"It looks for all the world like a map of a bit of a country onshore," said Nicky White, the senior researcher. "It is like an ancient fossil landscape preserved 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) beneath the seabed."

So far, the data have revealed a landscape about 3,861 square miles (10,000 square km) west of the Orkney-Shetland Islands that stretched above sea level by almost as much as 0.6 miles (1 km). White and colleagues suspect it is part of a larger region that merged with what is now Scotland and may have extended toward Norway in a hot, prehuman world.

(more at the link)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
I remember being excited to graduate and then having a terrible terrible sadness creep over me as we packed. It was unbelievably depressing. I stayed another 4 months to do some grad work at school and it was pretty sad just knowing it was over.

However, the fun doesnt stop, its actually just beginning. Working sucks, but the money doesnt. PLus you have much more freedom as you get a job, a new place and move on. The mid 20s are pretty awesome.

Worst part about it is that I have another semester before I graduate in December. My 2 best friends, one I lived with for all 4 years and the other for 3, are both done and gone. I'm excited to graduate from classes, but I'm not excited about graduating from college, if you know what I mean. I've had this lingering depression for the last 3 months since school was about over and walking out of my apartment for the final time and hugging my friends goodbye was awful. Didn't help that I was getting all kinds of tweets and facebook messages about how awesome our place was and how many people partied there.

As far as the future, working shouldn't suck for me with the field I'm in but you the uncertainty is scary. At this point next year, I haven't the SLIGHTEST clue about where I will be working, if anywhere at all.

I look forward to being free of classes though.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
What are some fun/cool droid apps? Preferably free.

Angry Birds

Where's My Droid

Free Music Download

Shazam

Key Chain

I assume most of the Droid's apps are also available on the iPhone et al if you're familiar with those though

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)

I recommend everyone get 9 Innings: Pro Baseball. It has an MLBPA license, and the gameplay is fun.

Beyond that, obviously Google Music is the s***.

The Dolphin Browser HD blows away the stock internet browser, the Fandango and Redbox apps are useful, Google+ is really well done.

Others:

Mediafly OnAir (free, well done podcast app)

ESPN Scorecenter

Klondike Solitaire

The Weather Channel

Where's My Droid?

XFINITY TV app (if you have XFINITY, or else I'm sure the DirecTV app is tight)

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)

Scrabble by EA (game)

Meganoid (game)

Tank Hero (game)

Just Pictures is my favorite photo viewing app. Shows your flickr, facebook, picasa photos all in one place as well as the photos on your phone. Is compatible with a bunch of other photo sites.

Pulse news reader is a great blog/news aggregator with a nice interface.

HBO Go if you have an HBO subscription

Skifta if you have DNLA enabled devices at home (wirelessly share videos, music, photos from your phone)

IMDb

My current app list

Edited by BigSqwert

Made an incredible meal last night. Pork loin that I covered in rock salt and lime and slow cooked, then served with grilled vidalia onions also seasoned with lime, salt and olive oil. Mmmmmm

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
There were some pretty cool ones listed, thanks guys. Any just dumb little apps you know of, too? Something that's worth a laugh once or twice, serves no real purpose?

Demotivational Posters is EXACTLY that app. Hilarious stuff.

Other good apps:

Sporcle

Word With Friends

Cash Cab

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
I love Sporcle with a regular keyboard, but does it translate well to a phone?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
Annoying

It can be annoying on occasion with obscure names or spellings, but the auto-fill normally does the trick.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
It can be annoying on occasion with obscure names or spellings, but the auto-fill normally does the trick.

I'm just used to quickly typing stuff on the keyboard for longer quizzes that I find the play on a mobile device almost unbearable

I hate Delta Dental sooooo much. I literally have not had a single positive experience with them in a year and a half. I'm convinced that their actual business model is to hire only employees whose IQ is not above room temperature (in an air conditioned office) so that the customers eventually get exasperated and give up trying to reason with them and pay out of pocket to avoid the hassle.

On the kids menu at Zaxby's, they have a meal called the "Kiddie Finger." For those of you who don't know, Zaxby's specializes in chicken fingers. There's just something wrong with that name, 'Kiddie Finger." Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
I recommend everyone get 9 Innings: Pro Baseball. It has an MLBPA license, and the gameplay is fun.

Beyond that, obviously Google Music is the s***.

The Dolphin Browser HD blows away the stock internet browser, the Fandango and Redbox apps are useful, Google+ is really well done.

Others:

Mediafly OnAir (free, well done podcast app)

ESPN Scorecenter

Klondike Solitaire

The Weather Channel

Where's My Droid?

XFINITY TV app (if you have XFINITY, or else I'm sure the DirecTV app is tight)

I play the s*** out of the baseball game.

QUOTE (SouthSideTeacher @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
HOLY LORD.

has anyone seen the deadspin video of the 2 girls arm-wrestling?

I'm horrified.

*I'm new to the board and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it.

Is this the one?

I'm honestly disappointed. Except for hearing the snap, that wasn't all that gruesome.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 12:51 AM)
Is this the one?

I'm honestly disappointed. Except for hearing the snap, that wasn't all that gruesome.

Yes, that's the one. (ewww.)

I would agree with you about the Taylor/Theisman film-- I could never bring myself to watch that one either.

(PS: Sorry to disappoint you, Man. I thought her skin bulging out of her upper arm was just. so. gross.)

Edited by SouthSideTeacher

I'm getting really sick of going into someone's thesis defense, asking a question at the end, then being pulled over by the person's adviser and told that question is exactly what they're working on/struggling with right now and that's why the student's answer wasn't complete.

If I'm this good at figuring out other people's research then someone give me a faculty job and let me grill these people in defenses already!!!!

/Rant.