Rafael Soriano signs with Yankees

prochisox

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's a damn good bullpen. On paper right now, clearly the best.

I agree it is great on paper but looking at this from a situational standpoint it will really depend how the starting rotation delivers. We have remember Soriano has been hurt and Rivera can't pitch forever either. Just saying they are a great SU/Closer combo but the Yankees have to get to the 8th inning quite a bit with the staff they have. I am not sure how that will work out.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
Heyman reporting Yanks will sign Soriano and indeed surrender their pick. Likely to be 3/35. No way we were ever that close to his price. Oh well the speculation was fun.

Link: http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/25731057428992000

And they can have him. I wanted nothing to do with Soriano. Unbelievable. Two relievers, although two very fine relievers, making damn near 30 million dollars. Definitely a 'Well, we have to do something move' on the part of the Yankees.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
Heyman reporting Yanks will sign Soriano and indeed surrender their pick. Likely to be 3/35. No way we were ever that close to his price. Oh well the speculation was fun.

Link: http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/25731057428992000

Holy f*** that is retarded money.

I know it's just a reliever, but NYY really needed this, even if Pettite comes back their rotation will still be a weak point, they need to mash and get it to their pen ASAP and hope CC goes deep basically every outing to give them a day off

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
I know it's just a reliever, but NYY really needed this, even if Pettite comes back their rotation will still be a weak point, they need to mash and get it to their pen ASAP and hope CC goes deep basically everyouting to give them a day off

They didn't really need this. No team really needs a 12 million dollar a year set-up man. And the Yankees lose their first round pick as well. Even Yankee fans hate the signing. http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/1...-Rafael-Soriano

And if I'm correct, the Rays now have 9 picks between the first, compensation and second rounds. And once Balfour and Qualls sign that will make it 11. And this is supposed to be the strongest draft in years. The Rays will indeed be feasting come June.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
They didn't really need this. No team really needs a 12 million dollar a year set-up man. And the Yankees lose their first round pick as well. Even Yankee fans hate the signing. http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/1...-Rafael-Soriano

And if I'm correct, the Rays now have 9 picks between the first, compensation and second rounds. And once Balfour and Qualls sign that will make it 11. And this is supposed to be the strongest draft in years. The Rays will indeed be feasting come June.

Yeah, but they will probably take a handful of easy signs because there is no way they can afford $30 million in the draft. That's simply ridiculous though.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
Yeah, but they will probably take a handful of easy signs because there is no way they can afford $30 million in the draft. That's simply ridiculous though.

True. They're not going overslot for 11 guys, obviously. But they've been preparing for this for a while. They didn't sign Farnworth over Balfour because they liked Farnsworth. Scouting and the draft is how they have to do it. I say they go all-out for 4 or 5 guys, maybe 6, then the rest will be relative easy signs.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 01:55 AM)
I think I'm going to change my last name to Soriano. Apparently teams will throw insane amount of money at you!

Well, you also have to be capable of putting up a 40/40 season or throwing 97 with a sharp slider...because, uhh, there have been a few other Sorianos.

(understands playful nature of quoted post)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 03:33 AM)
Well, you also have to be capable of putting up a 40/40 season or throwing 97 with a sharp slider...because, uhh, there have been a few other Sorianos.

(understands playful nature of quoted post)

Ok, I should have specified "and make the major leagues" because of all those Sorianos, only 2 are in the bigs.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 01:51 AM)
All I know, and I'm drunk, is that if we signed Soriano to that....wow.. f***ing horrible. They can have him for that price.

Quite the coherent drunk post. I expected much worse from you Heads. Although this is a Thursday drunk, not a Saturday drunk.

Edited by maggsmaggs