Realistic Adam Dunn expectations

DOWNTOWN PANTHER

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
The Reds didn't get the max value out of Dunn because they played him in the OF. That's part of the reason why the Reds were so bad. For every run Dunn produced, he cost them probably 3/4 of a run in the OF. That's not going to be an issue anymore since we have the luxury to stick him at DH.

The Reds didn't get better because they were without Adam Dunn, they got better because of Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, Jay Bruce, and their cheap, young and talented pitchers in 2010.

Hell, you're telling me you'd rather have Jonny Gomes' butcher glove in LF and his average bat instead of Adam Dunn?

I would tell you that the Reds were better off with the young team they had this year. Which included Gomes. Gomes from a chemistry viewpoint fits better with this team than Dunn would have. So yes, I would rather have Gomes than the logjam on the basepads.

Guys. Dont get me wrong. Im not here to rain on the Sox. I hope the Sox do well. Im just saying that Adam Dunn hits Home Runs and thats it. He is a liability on the bases, and will limit your lineup from a "get em on, get em over, and get em in" point of view. He hits alot of his home runs in meaningless times. It seems his power numbers are inflated by a pitchers concessions when the game is out of reach, or just all together meaningless.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
I would tell you that the Reds were better off with the young team they had this year. Which included Gomes. Gomes from a chemistry viewpoint fits better with this team than Dunn would have. So yes, I would rather have Gomes than the logjam on the basepads.

Guys. Dont get me wrong. Im not here to rain on the Sox. I hope the Sox do well. Im just saying that Adam Dunn hits Home Runs and thats it. He is a liability on the bases, and will limit your lineup from a "get em on, get em over, and get em in" point of view. He hits alot of his home runs in meaningless times. It seems his power numbers are inflated by a pitchers concessions when the game is out of reach, or just all together meaningless.

Jonny Gomes isn't any faster than Adam Dunn. He might look like he's trying to run faster, but he's not fast. As for the chemistry thing, it's not like Adam Dunn's a bad guy or anything.

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Actually Dunn never played 1st for the Reds.

You are right but nearly each year he played some first (not never), the overall point is, younger players maturing have more to do with the Reds being better than Adam Dunn being out of the lineup when he was surrounded by talent such as Javier Valentin/Austin Kearns for most of each year he played there

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
Sure it did, but the runner's speed on first has less of an effect on a double play than the runner running to first. Of course, it didn't help that Konerko hit behind Thome for the majority of Thome's time here.

BTW, Dunn's K rate in RISP situations is 7% lower than his career K rate. His walk rate is also 7% higher than his career walk rate.

this is what drives me crazy. He didn't drive the run in if he walks.

As I've said before don't get me wrong I like him, I just know I'll be throwing things at the TV when he strikesout or walks with an important run in scoring position

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)

As I've said before don't get me wrong I like him, I just know I'll be throwing things at the TV when he strikesout or walks with an important run in scoring position

Agreed, but then you think of 2010 and what Mark Kotsay would have done in that position

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
Agreed, but then you think of 2010 and what Mark Kotsay would have done in that position

Pull the ball to the right side for a easy DP ball. Every. Single. Time.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)

True, like I said I like him in there. I'm just sure his is going to rank with Thomas and Thome as good players who could drive me crazy at times.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)

Is it a bad thing if he walks with runners in scoring position? Obviously it would be ideal for him to drive them in but Ive never been upset when a hitter walks with runners in scoring position, unless Mark Kotsay was batting behind them.

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)

I would agree the Reds were better off with the young team they had this year...but that's because they had better pitching and some serious offensive firepower in Votto, and a developing version of Dunn in Jay Bruce.

In 2007, the Reds last full year with Dunn, they scored 783 Runs (7th in the NL)

2008, 1/2 year with Dunn: 704 Runs, 12th in the NL

2009, Dunn is in Washington, 673 runs, 11th in the NL.

In 2008, the Nats scored 641 runs, 14th in the NL

In 2009 with Dunn, the Nats scored 710 runs, 9th in the NL.

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
Disgruntled fan??? My team won the NL Central last year. I think I speak on behalf of the Reds fans when I say that not having Dunn is a good thing. For the Reds at leat.

I think we can politely agree to disagree. All I can say is lets hear your take on your 56 Million dollar man come July.

I think you may be taking this a bit too serious.

Adam Dunn wasn't the type of player the Reds needed. The base-clogging thump didn't fit the type of offense the Reds had and still have. He fits nicely as the DH with left handed power in the White Sox lineup.

Having Joey Votto come to life was good for the Reds. Oh.. and Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Wood, Leake and Arroyo had something to do with it. Don't forget to mention Scott Rolen having a really nice year and Gomes, Stubbs, and Phillips all pulling their talents together at the same times.

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
Actually Dunn never played 1st for the Reds.

But he should have.

A thread about "realistic expectations" for Dunn is pretty funny. He's arguably the most consistent player in all of baseball.

It's almost freakish, really:

2004 - 46 HR, 102 RBI, .266 avg

2005 - 40 HR, 101 RBI, .247 avg

2006 - 40 HR, 92 RBI, .234 avg

2007 - 40 HR, 106 RBI, .264 avg

2008 - 40 HR, 100 RBI, .236 avg

2009 - 38 HR, 105 RBI, .267 avg

2010 - 38 HR, 103 RBI, .260 avg

So let's see, I'll go out on a big limb for 2011: 40 HRs, 100 RBIs, .250 avg, .900 ops, 190 K's.

Edited by bighurt574

I am a pretty big fan of the Reds, and most of their fans hated Adam Dunn because their team sucked when he was there. They also put him in the OF which was a ridiculously dumb move. Lucky for them they had an MVP type player to replace his production, otherwise they would have felt the pain.

My realistic expectations are 80 HR's and 2.000 OPS. 50 WAR, minium.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
In his interviews, he said one of the reasons he likes Chicago is the Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches. So maybe that will get him moving!

:lol:

And I was just wondering where to go for lunch :headbang

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
A thread about "realistic expectations" for Dunn is pretty funny. He's arguably the most consistent player in all of baseball.

It's almost freakish, really:

2004 - 46 HR, 102 RBI, .266 avg

2005 - 40 HR, 101 RBI, .247 avg

2006 - 40 HR, 92 RBI, .234 avg

2007 - 40 HR, 106 RBI, .264 avg

2008 - 40 HR, 100 RBI, .236 avg

2009 - 38 HR, 105 RBI, .267 avg

2010 - 38 HR, 103 RBI, .260 avg

So let's see, I'll go out on a big limb for 2011: 40 HRs, 100 RBIs, .250 avg, .900 ops, 190 K's.

The only thing that's relatively inconsistent is the average.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
I am a pretty big fan of the Reds, and most of their fans hated Adam Dunn because their team sucked when he was there. They also put him in the OF which was a ridiculously dumb move. Lucky for them they had an MVP type player to replace his production, otherwise they would have felt the pain.

What gets lost in this post is the fact that Dunn was asked to play 1st base but was not receptive in any way shape or form to change positions with the Reds. You assertion that the Reds were "riciculously dumb" to not move him would be correct had they not tried to do that. Which says alot about the Reds management at the time, allowing Dunn to continue playing OF. Walt Jockety (the current Reds GM) would never stand for that.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Is it a bad thing if he walks with runners in scoring position? Obviously it would be ideal for him to drive them in but Ive never been upset when a hitter walks with runners in scoring position, unless Mark Kotsay was batting behind them.

I am. Your hitters in the middle of the lineup are paid this kind of money to drive in runs, not to set up for the next guy.

And yes I know they get pitched around but if there is a pitch that is borderline, hit it.

QUOTE (DOWNTOWN PANTHER @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
What gets lost in this post is the fact that Dunn was asked to play 1st base but was not receptive in any way shape or form to change positions with the Reds. You assertion that the Reds were "riciculously dumb" to not move him would be correct had they not tried to do that. Which says alot about the Reds management at the time, allowing Dunn to continue playing OF. Walt Jockety (the current Reds GM) would never stand for that.

Since I spend alot of time in Ohio, I am familiar with the Dunn situation. Which is more intriguing to me is your stance on Dusty Baker, what are your thoughts?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Since I spend alot of time in Ohio, I am familiar with the Dunn situation. Which is more intriguing to me is your stance on Dusty Baker, what are your thoughts?

I have never posted any opinion of mine on Dusty, but I will say that I was very pleased with him this season.

Reds fans are fast to second guess and pound on the manager for his ability to manage a pitching staff and lineup. This season was no exception. I think that Dusty did a tremendous job of managing the staff and pen. I look simply at wins and losses, and this year he had a big impact. For this team he is a perfect candidate IMO. Right now the Reds have a very solid fusion of young talent and veteran leadership which Dusty blended very nicely.

In 2011 I think the Reds are the team to beat in the Central. I think Dusty can make a run this year at October baseball, and the staff has a very high ceiling. He definately is a risk taker. Thats not a bad thing though.

Edited by DOWNTOWN PANTHER