What Kind of Car Do You Drive?

hogan873

As we struggle through the winter months, waiting for the exciting 2011 White Sox season to start, we need some conversation stimulants to get things going on SoxTalk. Sure, this topic may not be long-thread worthy, but it's something.

Having three kids, I have become practical in my cars. That's not saying I don't want something else. I have a 2003 Chevy Venture and a 2002 Chevy Cavalier. Real exciting, but they are both paid off.

Before giving in and buying more practical cars, I had a Jeep Cherokee and two Wranglers before that. Even now, if I had the extra cash and could afford a automobile for fun I would buy a standard transmission Jeep Wrangler. I might even still be a bit practical and get a 4-door model. But, I've seen a few well-taken care of CJ7s that I would love to have.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 100 mile round-trip work drive every day so I drive cars into the ground. I managed to get 200K+ miles out of my 2000 Saturn and nearly 200K miles out of a Corolla before that, but I just bought y very first new car last month — a 2010 Prius. I really like it and it's nice to only have to gas up around once a week rather than every other day.

I would love an all-electric vehicle, but I need something that can do better than 100 or so miles on a single charge.

Own: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. Been a great car for the family, and we paid off the difference in hybrid cost within a year, after which we've saved really good money on gas.

Probably will soon buy: Something plug-in hybrid, like a Volt or the FEH plug-in. Maybe in a year or two.

Dream car that I will never actually buy and can't afford it anyway: Porsche 959

A few months ago, I bought a 1998 Toyota Camry from my great aunt. It only has 30,000 miles on it and I paid a ridiculously low amount for it. I got rid of the newer car that I had because I just couldn't pass up the deal.

I really have no ideal car. Cars don't really impress me that much, just as long as it gets me to where I need to be.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
A few months ago, I bought a 1998 Toyota Camry from my great aunt. It only has 30,000 miles on it and I paid a ridiculously low amount for it. I got rid of the newer car that I had because I just couldn't pass up the deal.

I really have no ideal car. Cars don't really impress me that much, just as long as it gets me to where I need to be.

I agree with that. Fifteen years ago I wouldn't have thought so, but now that's all that matters. My little Cavalier with over 100K miles does a fine job getting me to and from work.

My wife and I have a 2005 Honda Pilot (been paid off for 2 years or so) and we just purchased a 2011 Toyota Highlander which replaced a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo. Pilot has about 115K on it and we hope to keep it for another few years. Assuming the cars hold up as planned, we plan on owning each of them for around 10 years in total.

If I could get any car I'd want, within reason, I'd probably go Range Rover or 5 series BMW.

2007 SAAB 9-3 60th Anniversary Edition

I wouldn't trade it for an A4, 3 Series, or any other of the competition's offering in it's class type. I think I'll have a SAAB in my garage until I'm too senile to drive anymore. I'll also keep a mental note that GM nearly axed the brand a year ago, and will note that when it comes time to buy another car for myself or when I have a family and kids.

One thing about it is I may as well replace the wheels with ice skates during the winter. For that reason I'm playing around with the idea of trading it in for a2008 SAAB 9-3 Turbo-X . These were also limited edition but I want it ohsobad, and it's got all wheel drive. I'll assess that possibility when I get my license back though.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
You like the Volt a lot more than the Leaf, eh, Balta? Just more practical?

If I had the Leaf, I'd still have to have a second car if I wanted to do anything like drive to my parents (and probably 2/3 of the mileage on my current car is long-distance highway trips). Insuring 2 different cars for 1 driver doesn't seem like the best use of money to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
If I had the Leaf, I'd still have to have a second car if I wanted to do anything like drive to my parents (and probably 2/3 of the mileage on my current car is long-distance highway trips). Insuring 2 different cars for 1 driver doesn't seem like the best use of money to me.

Not once they have public charging stations though, right?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
Not once they have public charging stations though, right?

Problem is that even with 240V outlets, it would take something like 4+ hours, correct?

Edit: just read about level 3 charging stations that could power a Nissan Leaf to 80% power in 30 minutes, that's a nice improvement.

Edited by Palehosefan