What Kind of Car Do You Drive?

hogan873

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
I have a 100 mile round-trip work drive every day so I drive cars into the ground. I managed to get 200K+ miles out of my 2000 Saturn and nearly 200K miles out of a Corolla before that, but I just bought y very first new car last month — a 2010 Prius. I really like it and it's nice to only have to gas up around once a week rather than every other day.

I would love an all-electric vehicle, but I need something that can do better than 100 or so miles on a single charge.

I'm the same way but my commute is closer to 180 round trip.

I've got a 2003 Grand Prix that I just had to replace the engine in. I'm hoping it'll last until the end of this year at least.

I want a mid-size car that will give me 30-35 MPG that I can still afford to pay off in about 3 years.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
Problem is that even with 240V outlets, it would take something like 4+ hours, correct?

Edit: just read about level 3 charging stations that could power a Nissan Leaf to 80% power in 30 minutes, that's a nice improvement.

Yeah, the public charging stations will take about 15-30 minutes. The home charging stations will take 3-4 hours.

Still impractical, but if you're buying an all-electric car, you are probably not the person most concerned about practicality.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Yeah, the public charging stations will take about 15-30 minutes. The home charging stations will take 3-4 hours.

Still impractical, but if you're buying an all-electric car, you are probably not the person most concerned about practicality.

Are the public stations all the way up to 480V or something?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
I'm not sure. This is just what Nissan claimed on its website.

Nissan uses that number.

Q: What is the estimated time for full charging with 110v, 220v and fast charge stations?

A: It takes about ~30 minutes to 80% at a 480 volt quick-charge station. Starting from a depleted battery, ~7 hours at 220/240V (depending on amperage), about 20 hours at 110/120V

We bought my gf a 2010 CRV last year, this year I'm getting a full size pick up. Probably the Ford, but I'm also considering the Chevy, Dodge, and made in Texas Toyota. I'm driving my old company car, a Dodge Intrepid.

My wife and I decided a long time ago that when our kids are grown and out on their own (we'll be in our mid-40's by then) we are going to get a corvette.

Just haven't decided on a year yet. She wants one from the 60s or 70s style. I'd honestly be happy with any of them.

On a random sidenote, probably the coolest feature I've had on a car in years is bluetooth. My old car was just before the generation of vehicles that came with it standard (2005) and having it while talking on the phone for work/personal use is just amazing convenient. I don't use a lot of the fancy features that come with it (all of the voice dialing and stuff) but either way it works pretty cool.

Plus I love the whole streaming pandora through bluetooth via the radio.

Stuff I'm less than intrigued about on my new car:

XM - I just can't get all that into it whenever I use it. After my free trial I'm pretty sure I won't be signing up. I could see using it if you live in areas without an ample amount of stations, but where I am there are just a lot of great options on free radio.

I wouldn't know about navigation because I refuse to pay like 2600 dollars for a navigation package when all of the garmins, etc, are cheap, plus a lot of PDA's have turn by turn directions for free.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
XM is great in rental cars but that's about it. My mom won a subscription for a year a couple of years ago. I listened to it at work for a while, but it just never really had interesting enough programming.

My parents have it and they like the old-time station. Whenever I come back into town I am always excited whenever we are going somewhere so I can listen to it. The MLB and NFL broadcasts are key too, but if you're a really big fan, you're probably not driving around in your car while those games are on.

Now if I was a truck driver or something I would definitely have it.