Top Sox defensive plays of all-time

StatManDu

The Sox had four plays in MLB Network's Countdown 75 Most Spectacular Defensive Plays in MLB History:

41) Calderon's wall-scaling catch in LF at Tiger Stadium on July 27, 1987;

15) Iguchi's flying throw to first from 2B in 2006;

8) Wise's catch which preserved Buehrle's perfect game on July 23, 2009;

6) Buehrle's between the legs throw to first on Opening Day 2010

The most glaring oversight when it comes to the Sox was Uribe's diving catch into the stands in Houston in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series.

Others?

How about two from the "Black Out Game" when Ken Griffey Jr. threw out a runner at the plate and Brian Anderson's game-ending catch ... On Opening Day 2000, I remember Ray Durham making a phenomenal diving catch with his back to the plate.

More?

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
The Sox had four plays in MLB Network's Countdown 75 Most Spectacular Defensive Plays in MLB History:

The most glaring oversight when it comes to the Sox was Uribe's diving catch into the stands in Houston in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series.

Others?

How about two from the "Black Out Game" when Ken Griffey Jr. threw out a runner at the plate and Brian Anderson's game-ending catch ... On Opening Day 2000, I remember Ray Durham making a phenomenal diving catch with his back to the plate.

More?

Daryl Boston made a full sprint dive into the stands for a catch. It wasn't just a fall into the stands it was at a full sprint.

Jeter's catch in fair ground where he didn't feel like sliding and instead ran into the seats better not have been on that list, but being that it's Jeter, it was probably like #2 on the list. The only great play I've ever seen him make was the flip to Posada, and I'd still put Wise, Buehrle, and Iguchi all better than that. It's just the stage that he did it on that made it so much better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
Fisk's double-tag?

That was cool, but mostly because it was so unusual to have two runners cross the plate that close to each other. Fisk did well to react in time to get them both, but it wasn't an especially astonishing athletic feat on his part. He was fairly close to stationary the whole time.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
That was cool, but mostly because it was so unusual to have two runners cross the plate that close to each other. Fisk did well to react in time to get them both, but it wasn't an especially astonishing athletic feat on his part. He was fairly close to stationary the whole time.

Apparently you don't understand that all top 75 plays were made by the Sox and 71 left out on purpose :lolhitting :lol:

What were the top 5?

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)

Others?

More?

Oh, come on! Neither one of those plays was anything special. The only reason the Griffey throw is even remembered (besides it being the Black Out Game) is that it was the only thing Griffey contributed to the Sox that year. He was pretty damn shallow in the OF and any decent defender should have been able to throw the runner out. Anderson's catch was pretty good, but not incredible. They're talking about the best plays in the history of the sport. Those two probably don't even crack the top 1,000.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
What were the top 5?

Oh, come on! Neither one of those plays was anything special. The only reason the Griffey throw even is remembered (besides it being the Black Out Game) is that it was the only thing Griffey contributed to the Sox that year. He was pretty damn shallow in the OF and any decent defender should have been able to throw the runner out. Anderson's catch was pretty good, but not incredible. They're talking about the best plays in the history of the sport. Those two probably don't even crack the top 1,000.

Juan Pierre.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
Oh, come on! Neither one of those plays was anything special. The only reason the Griffey throw even is remembered (besides it being the Black Out Game) is that it was the only thing Griffey contributed to the Sox that year. He was pretty damn shallow in the OF and any decent defender should have been able to throw the runner out. Anderson's catch was pretty good, but not incredible. They're talking about the best plays in the history of the sport. Those two probably don't even crack the top 1,000.

The only reason Cuddyer was running was because they knew Griffey was old and bad, so it was worth taking the chance. Any other CF out there, the runner is staying at 3rd.

I was in the 500 level behind home and I remember as soon as the ball was hit that way saying "Oh f***. Thats Griffey out there, no way he throws anyone out. 1-0 Twins." Luckily, I was wrong!

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
Uribe and the Double-Tag not on there is crap.

I agree about Uribe, but not with the Fisk play. The Double-Tag was just a product of a strange situation. Fisk did nothing incredibly athletic or really even impressive. He just happened to catch a ball and tag two guys who ran at him one after another.

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 11:11 AM)
On Opening Day 2000, I remember Ray Durham making a phenomenal diving catch with his back to the plate.

I was at that game, and remember it like it was last week. Frank homered in the bottom of that inning, after coming off those two down seasons, and got a standing O. That first inning really set the tone for the 2000 season.