Official 2011-2012 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
How many times has an option team won the Big Ten? You can generate alot of running yards at times, but the offense just isnt very effective in the conference. Michigan racked up alot of yards with their offense until conference play started and then their numbers went down considerably. Illinois has had the luxury of several NFL running backs.

Not too mention Denard Robinson is much more dynamic than Scheelhause.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just thinking out loud here but I think this is going to be one of the bigger bcs clusterf***s we've ever seen. I very rarely predict there to be more than 1 or 2 undefeated teams for the season but I think this year might be different. I think OU and Okie State will trip up at some point but besides that I can see a decent amount of the remaining undefeated teams actually staying unbeaten on the year. I really don't see Wisconsin or Stanford losing, Boise wont lose, I believe the winner of Alabama and LSU is higher above the rest of the sec to win out and I can see Clemson running the table in the acc as well. This could be real interesting.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 12:26 AM)
South Carolina's Melvin Ingram is my favorite non-Tennessee player. He's just fun to watch. Today's stats for the defensive lineman: 9 tackles, 5 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 1 INT... And to think he doesn't even get the most pub on that defense (see: Jadeveon Clowney).

He is playing himself into the NFL, on this season alone.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with a 5th year senior QB, that is playing this team into mediocrity, and himself into a great career in retail.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 12:11 AM)
5-0.

Wisconsin is beatable, but not if you have a QB who throws like a girl. If Russell Wilson can be kept in the pocket and you complete some passes on their defense I think Illinois can take them down. Other than that the Big Ten is so weak this year its going to be clear sailing.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 12:26 AM)
South Carolina's Melvin Ingram is my favorite non-Tennessee player. He's just fun to watch. Today's stats for the defensive lineman: 9 tackles, 5 TFL, 3.5 sacks, 1 INT... And to think he doesn't even get the most pub on that defense (see: Jadeveon Clowney).

that guy is like TeenWolf out there. He is always involved in the big plays it seems.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
Wisconsin is beatable, but not if you have a QB who throws like a girl. If Russell Wilson can be kept in the pocket and you complete some passes on their defense I think Illinois can take them down. Other than that the Big Ten is so weak this year its going to be clear sailing.

I really don't think anybody in the Big Ten is capable of slowing down that Wisconsin offense. Yesterday was a great comeback win for Illinois, but their defense showed some leaks that could turn into outright waterfalls against Wisconsin. Illinois is still capable of winning any game on their schedule other than that one though IMO.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 07:54 AM)
Just thinking out loud here but I think this is going to be one of the bigger bcs clusterf***s we've ever seen. I very rarely predict there to be more than 1 or 2 undefeated teams for the season but I think this year might be different. I think OU and Okie State will trip up at some point but besides that I can see a decent amount of the remaining undefeated teams actually staying unbeaten on the year. I really don't see Wisconsin or Stanford losing, Boise wont lose, I believe the winner of Alabama and LSU is higher above the rest of the sec to win out and I can see Clemson running the table in the acc as well. This could be real interesting.

I posted this thought here to some resistance a few weeks back, but it's true. I am more inclined to think Clemson will trip up than Oklahoma AND Oklahoma State, but it's very likely 3 BCS conference teams will go undefeated this year. Boise State has no shot at sneaking into the title game this year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 01:04 AM)
I really don't think anybody in the Big Ten is capable of slowing down that Wisconsin offense. Yesterday was a great comeback win for Illinois, but their defense showed some leaks that could turn into outright waterfalls against Wisconsin. Illinois is still capable of winning any game on their schedule other than that one though IMO.

I posted this thought here to some resistance a few weeks back, but it's true. I am more inclined to think Clemson will trip up than Oklahoma AND Oklahoma State, but it's very likely 3 BCS conference teams will go undefeated this year. Boise State has no shot at sneaking into the title game this year.

If I was putting odds on it id go 80-20 in favor of Wisconsin, be higher if was in Madison. The game that will really matter is Michigan, Illinois should beat every other team but Michigan game is going to make a huge difference in what kind of bowl game they get.

Most likely to go undefeated:

1 Boise State

2 Wisconsin

3 Stanford

4 Oklahoma State

5 Alabama

6 LSU

7 Oklahoma

8 Georgia Tech

9 Texas

10 Clemson

11 Michigan

12 Illinois

13 Kansas State

I would set the over/under at 3 teams. If I had to put money down, it would be Wisconsin-Stanford in the title game, with Boise absolutely destroying some Big Ten or Pac-12 team in the Rose Bowl.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 06:52 AM)

1 Boise State

2 Wisconsin

3 Stanford

4 Oklahoma State

5 Alabama

6 LSU

7 Oklahoma

8 Georgia Tech

9 Texas

10 Clemson

11 Michigan

12 Illinois

13 Kansas State

I would set the over/under at 3 teams. If I had to put money down, it would be Wisconsin-Stanford in the title game, with Boise absolutely destroying some Big Ten or Pac-12 team in the Rose Bowl.

Question is, where does a one loss Alabama or LSU fit into the picture? It would not surprise me at all if one of them still gets into the BCS Championship over an undefeated team from elsewhere. Like it or not, the SEC has proven itself as the premier conference with the toughest road to get to the CG, yet they win it when they get there. I think that will weigh heavily on voters.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 06:52 AM)

1 Boise State

2 Wisconsin

3 Stanford

4 Oklahoma State

5 Alabama

6 LSU

7 Oklahoma

8 Georgia Tech

9 Texas

10 Clemson

11 Michigan

12 Illinois

13 Kansas State

Looking at that list, it makes me shake my head that Michigan is 11th. While I don't think there is a sure loss on Michigan's schedule, there is no way they run the table. I believe they can win every game, but can also lose many games remaining on their schedule.

To answer your first question, there is no way a 1-loss SEC team gets in over an undefeated BCS conference team, and I'd give it about a 50/50 chance that such a team would get in over Boise State. Boise did go trounce an SEC team, albeit not an elite one, in a virtual road game, so the schedule strength argument is getting harder to make.

As for Michigan being 11th, as unlikely as it might be for them to run the table, it's even less likely for Illinois and Kansas State.

Way too early to be talking about multiple undefeated teams.

And why would you say that Okie State is more likely to go undefeated than OU? Okie barely beat A&M, I really dont believe they can run the table. In fact I wouldnt be shocked if they go into the final game with OU already having 1 loss.

Ugh, cant wait for this season to be over and done with.

Now an "employment issue" keeping players off the field. The NCAA now is in a position to determine the correct compensation for people working jobs off campus. Just get this s*** over.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
To answer your first question, there is no way a 1-loss SEC team gets in over an undefeated BCS conference team, and I'd give it about a 50/50 chance that such a team would get in over Boise State. Boise did go trounce an SEC team, albeit not an elite one, in a virtual road game, so the schedule strength argument is getting harder to make.

As for Michigan being 11th, as unlikely as it might be for them to run the table, it's even less likely for Illinois and Kansas State.

Georgia hasn't been good and now tcu having a down season kind of ruins boise's SOS. I don't think u can put them ahead of a one loss SEC team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Ugh, cant wait for this season to be over and done with.

Now an "employment issue" keeping players off the field. The NCAA now is in a position to determine the correct compensation for people working jobs off campus. Just get this s*** over.

Rock, I know this has been tough but I want to ask you one question. I won't ask for any details unless you want to give them. But awhile ago, after Tressel was let go I believe, you indicated there was more to come that you knew about. Did the stuff you were referring to ever come out? I guess I got the sense it was something big, but at this point nothing major has come out since that time, unless I am forgetting something.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
Rock, I know this has been tough but I want to ask you one question. I won't ask for any details unless you want to give them. But awhile ago, after Tressel was let go I believe, you indicated there was more to come that you knew about. Did the stuff you were referring to ever come out? I guess I got the sense it was something big, but at this point nothing major has come out since that time, unless I am forgetting something.

Its trickling out as we speak, however the NCAA has decided they can determine a workable wage for all players regardless of market or job title. Mostly because they couldnt get any info on the booster himself.

This thread is the only thing that keeps me up to date on college football. I really have no idea why I even read it. I haven't seen a non Illinois St. college football game that wasn't on at a bar in probably 3 years. Thanks for allowing me to hold my own in a conversation everyone.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)
This thread is the only thing that keeps me up to date on college football. I really have no idea why I even read it. I haven't seen a non Illinois St. college football game that wasn't on at a bar in probably 3 years. Thanks for allowing me to hold my own in a conversation everyone.

You are missing out on epicness.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
You are missing out on epicness.

Meh. I don't get it. It's super sloppy. To each their own though. It's the NFL for me. I'm just glad I have some idea what other people are talking about when I'm around people who do like it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
Its trickling out as we speak, however the NCAA has decided they can determine a workable wage for all players regardless of market or job title. Mostly because they couldnt get any info on the booster himself.

Trickling in? As in there is more yet?

At what point is OSU going to realize they need to clean house and just Tressel is not enough??

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:20 AM)
Trickling in? As in there is more yet?

At what point is OSU going to realize they need to clean house and just Tressel is not enough??

They are going to clean house as far as coaches go at the end of the season, although I could see Fickell, Heacock and maybe Vrabel staying on. Its not that they're the problem though, its the lack of policing around boosters and kids from ages 18-21. Its a systemic problem at every school that right now is getting attention because pretty much everyone would like to see OSU get caught for something. The boosters in columbus need to know from the new head coach that this s*** wont be tolerated and then the coach needs to throw kids off the team that violate said rules.