Snowmageddon 2011

Brian

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
Our door is nearly covered, i'm gonna have to go down our scary back stairs.

I didn't even try and clear off our walkway to front doory or right in front of front door. That is a lost cause.

One of my programmers called me last night, from a CTA bus on the Drive. He got on it at 4:45pm... was still on it after 10pm. Apparently they were still rescuring people even this morning from LSD. Dude got home at midnight - 7 hour commute.

Worked from home this morning, then walked a few blocks through the arctic wasteland to catch a 9:30am train (Metra is on Sunday schedule). Website said it was running. Got to the station, and the announcement came over that this train, and the next one, were cancelled.

I give up, I'm working from home today.

Snow when NOT drifted was about mid-thigh deep here in Northbrook, drifts are 4-5 feet. But the sun just peeked out for a minute! Now its snowing again.

I wake up to work at 5 every day. Today I woke up and heard Mulli and Hanley say that North Ave. from 59 to 355 was unpassable. I got excited because that's the route my dad and I take to work, but I didn't fall back asleep because my dad told his people that we would have work today. So we shovel the driveway all the way to the street, which hasn't been touched. He tries the street anyway, gets stuck. We're about 10 houses from the entrance to the subdivision shoveling in front of the car till we get to the mouth of the subdivision. Some guys helped us out along the way with their snowblowers, so bless them, but when we're 4 houses from the end maybe 2.5 hours into it the city plowers make it through the subdivision and effortlessly clean the street. Wow.

2 people bothered to show up at work.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
I wake up to work at 5 every day. Today I woke up and heard Mulli and Hanley say that North Ave. from 59 to 355 was unpassable. I got excited because that's the route my dad and I take to work, but I didn't fall back asleep because my dad told his people that we would have work today. So we shovel the driveway all the way to the street, which hasn't been touched. He tries the street anyway, gets stuck. We're about 10 houses from the entrance to the subdivision shoveling in front of the car till we get to the mouth of the subdivision. Some guys helped us out along the way with their snowblowers, so bless them, but when we're 4 houses from the end maybe 2.5 hours into it the city plowers make it through the subdivision and effortlessly clean the street. Wow.

2 people bothered to show up at work.

Why would your dad possibly insist people come in today? I don't think it's a matter of people not "bothering" to show up...it's that they couldn't show up.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
Anyone who works in an office or something not "life or death" is an idiot if they tried to go to work today.

Agreed. Unless you're an ER doctor stay the f*** home.

I could imagine if some company insisted their office workers come in today to find out some of their employees were injured, or worse, trying to make it in.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Why would your dad possibly insist people come in today? I don't think it's a matter of people not "bothering" to show up...it's that they couldn't show up.

It's a CNC shop, and we have a lot of open orders that come due this month. To be fair to my dad, he said if you can't make it, no harm. One of the guys that showed up is from the southside of Chicago and ended up waiting since 8 till we got here.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)
Anyone who works in an office or something not "life or death" is an idiot if they tried to go to work today.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)

I could imagine if some company insisted their office workers come in today to find out some of their employees were injured, or worse, trying to make it in.

The trading markets are all open. You can't just not show up with a book on the market, and let it just sit there. You'd get killed financially. Some people have to work. I tried to get in, couldn't, and I'm working from home.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
The trading markets are all open. You can't just not show up with a book on the market, and let it just sit there. You'd get killed financially. Some people have to work. I tried to get in, couldn't, and I'm working from home.

There are very few jobs that I could see an exception. I guess that'd be one.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)

My fiance's mom had to be at work today at 5am. She's a dialysis nurse, can't really put that treatment off for a day.

We just spent 2 hours digging out our parking lot with a bunch of other people in our building. Our building was the only one doing this, though. Everyone else is going to be iced in come tomorrow.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 01:39 PM)
Given the warnings, drivers should have avoided that road.

What other, more likely to be passable route was available? If I'm forced to be at work, and I have to get home somehow, what do I think is more likely to be passable, a major artery that has some stoplights, or internal city streets?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
What other, more likely to be passable route was available? If I'm forced to be at work, and I have to get home somehow, what do I think is more likely to be passable, a major artery that has some stoplights, or internal city streets?

Even if the answer is none, how does it help to close that artery? The road was passable until accidents blocked the road.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
Even if the answer is none, how does it help to close that artery? The road was passable until accidents blocked the road.

Right, it seemed like the combination of 3 accidents within 15-30 minutes right when the storm was getting worse was what did it in.

Now we have to try to get to the house we just bought and shovel out that driveway before it ices over.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)

Most Chicagoans that aren't mostly brain dead are aware that LSD is a lot more unstable when it comes to weather than all the other major arteries that we have to drive on. I for one don't even need to be warned that it might be a problem driving on that road even when the weather is half as bad as forecasted yesterday. But we are all capable of brainfarts every now and then.