2011 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 15, 2011 -> 05:39 PM)
This is getting old. Any non White Sox player that as an epiphany is on HGH.

It has nothing to do with him being a non Sox player.

He went from a guy hitting 16 home runs in 120-140 games to hitting 54 in a season and now 16 in 32 games.

But yeah, now that there is steroid testing it must mean every player is clean...

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 15, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
It has nothing to do with him being a non Sox player.

He went from a guy hitting 16 home runs in 120-140 games to hitting 54 in a season and now 16 in 32 games.

But yeah, now that there is steroid testing it must mean every player is clean...

I'm not saying he does or does not but the man never had proper mechanics until early last year, he has always had power potential but if you have no proper mechanics and refuse to change them, what good is your power potential? Noone knows except for him though

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 15, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)
This is getting old. Any non White Sox player that as an epiphany is on HGH.

eh, it's just the time we're in, it's perfectly OK to me for people to have suspicions. Especially since it's difficult to find a comparison for someone at that age, with that much MLB experience to make such a significant jump in power, outside of the steroid era, with the main reasoning being a mechanical change. I'm certainly not saying it hasn't happened or is impossible without PEDs, but with what MLB went through, to me, it's perfectly reasonable for people to have suspicions.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 16, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
eh, it's just the time we're in, it's perfectly OK to me for people to have suspicions. Especially since it's difficult to find a comparison for someone at that age, with that much MLB experience to make such a significant jump in power, outside of the steroid era, with the main reasoning being a mechanical change. I'm certainly not saying it hasn't happened or is impossible without PEDs, but with what MLB went through, to me, it's perfectly reasonable for people to have suspicions.

The sad thing is...with what we've seen from MLB over the past 2 decades...assuming that a guy is juicing should be the default position. None of us are comfortable with it and you don't want to assume that a guy is a cheater, but that's the lesson MLB has taught us.

Man, the Twins being THIS bad is almost a crazier story than the Indians in first.

They always have that team on paper that isn't very impressive and they would always find ways to get the best out of guys, play smart baseball under Gardy and beat up the Central division, but they are just AWFUL. They've lost 9 in a row, 15 games under .500

Just WOW...

Of course they way they churn out minor leaguers I really don't want them to get a high draft pick haha

QUOTE (Cali @ May 17, 2011 -> 01:20 AM)
Man, the Twins being THIS bad is almost a crazier story than the Indians in first.

They always have that team on paper that isn't very impressive and they would always find ways to get the best out of guys, play smart baseball under Gardy and beat up the Central division, but they are just AWFUL. They've lost 9 in a row, 15 games under .500

Just WOW...

Of course they way they churn out minor leaguers I really don't want them to get a high draft pick haha

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/121966474.html

The irony of all ironies is that they traded Wilson Ramos and they still might need to draft ANOTHER catcher #1 because it's looking more and more unlikely that Mauer will ever be able to stay healthy playing there 140-150 games per season.Vin Mazzaro(notes) made major league history.

Royals reliever Vin Mazzaro gave up 14 runs and got just seven outs against the Cleveland Indians, who beat Kansas city 19-1 Monday night. He was sent down to the minors after the game.

No pitcher has allowed 14 runs in fewer innings than Mazzaro, according to STATS LLC, whose database goes back to 1919.

“It’s tough. It was a tough game,” said Mazzaro, whose ERA is now 22.74. “Some of the plays didn’t go my way. It’s a funny game.”

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 17, 2011 -> 01:41 AM)
http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/121966474.html

The irony of all ironies is that they traded Wilson Ramos and they still might need to draft ANOTHER catcher #1 because it's looking more and more unlikely that Mauer will ever be able to stay healthy playing there 140-150 games per season.Vin Mazzaro(notes) made major league history.

Royals reliever Vin Mazzaro gave up 14 runs and got just seven outs against the Cleveland Indians, who beat Kansas city 19-1 Monday night. He was sent down to the minors after the game.

No pitcher has allowed 14 runs in fewer innings than Mazzaro, according to STATS LLC, whose database goes back to 1919.

“It’s tough. It was a tough game,” said Mazzaro, whose ERA is now 22.74. “Some of the plays didn’t go my way. It’s a funny game.”

Now that is taking one for the team. Ouch.

Mazzaro should take a little solace knowing that in one game, a 20-year-old pitcher gave up 15 hits and 15 runs — including home runs to a couple of guys named DiMaggio and Gehrig. He walked nine. He threw a wild pitch. It wasn’t good.

That guy was named Bob Feller, and he led the American League in victories the next three years.

Link

Royals to call up Danny Duffy.

The Royals will turn to left-hander Danny Duffy, the club's No. 1 pitching prospect and one of the six or seven best pitching prospects in the minor leagues.

Just a year ago, Duffy was out of baseball. He simply quit the game in March 2010, saying he wanted to reassess his life. But Duffy returned to the Royals in June, pitched brilliantly at four different levels -- finishing with seven Class AA starts -- and began this season with Triple-A Omaha. Duffy gets his fastball into the mid-90s, features a solid change-up and breaking ball, and controls the strike zone; this spring he's struck out 43 hitters and walked 10 in 36 innings.

Duffy's taking Mazzaro's rotation slot, which had been Bruce Chen's before Chen went on the Disabled List. At last report, Chen was expected back in early June and the Royals will certainly make room for him. But considering Kyle Davies' 7.46 ERA and his shoulder soreness, it's highly likely that if Duffy pitches at least decently for the Royals he'll remain in the rotation for a while. That said, he's never thrown more than 127 innings in a professional season and threw only 62 last year. So at some point the 22-year-old will probably just be shut down or shifted to relief duties.

Really looking forward to seeing him pitch. Huge fan of him and Hosmer. I hope we get to see Moose & Montgomery sometime this year too. I'm pretty excited for Royals fans.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/5/17/2175418/...ffy-royals-news

15 of the last 16 years under .500 and mostly in the cellar, you better have good prospects. But, seriously, call me when they all have long term success in the bigs. I'm not buying the hype unless they're over .500 by MANY games come September...

QUOTE (Cali @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
15 of the last 16 years under .500 and mostly in the cellar, you better have good prospects. But, seriously, call me when they all have long term success in the bigs. I'm not buying the hype unless they're over .500 by MANY games come September...

They won't all have long term success in the bigs, but the amount of depth the Royals system has right now will allow them to better deal with the bust rate of prospects. They can afford to miss on guys at this point.

I for one am not hyping them this year, it's 2012/2013 and beyond where things look bright. Until then it's nice to follow the many prospects they have and see how they make their big league debuts. It might not all work out at the end, but the Royals organization is closer to contention than they have been in a long time. I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
Now that is taking one for the team. Ouch.

In his home debut nonetheless...

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 17, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Royals to call up Danny Duffy.

Really looking forward to seeing him pitch. Huge fan of him and Hosmer. I hope we get to see Moose & Montgomery sometime this year too. I'm pretty excited for Royals fans.

Came here to post this.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 17, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
I for one am not hyping them this year, it's 2012/2013 and beyond where things look bright. Until then it's nice to follow the many prospects they have and see how they make their big league debuts. It might not all work out at the end, but the Royals organization is closer to contention than they have been in a long time. I look forward to seeing how it pans out.

Well said.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ May 17, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
With Everett Teaford getting called up today, the Royals now have EIGHT rookies on the 25-man roster, 6 of them being pitchers. Top pitching prospect Danny Duffy will officially join the 25-man roster tomorrow, so of course that number could increase...

Should be entertaining baseball in KC, could see some major flops and some guys start to establish themselves as upcoming stars.