ST: Game 4 vs. Seattle

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranger should be doing these games instead of Trey Bender. And Ventura is a good call, but I'd rather hear Rongey do them solo, and bring in guests throughout the game like Charley Steiner does on the Dodgers side.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
Ranger should be doing these games instead of Trey Bender. And Ventura is a good call, but I'd rather hear Rongey do them solo, and bring in guests throughout the game like Charley Steiner does on the Dodgers side.

You guys assume Melton is being paid and the others will work for what he makes.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
Damn, Dayan is really pushing to make the team as the 4th OF, although I think I'd rather have him playing full time in AAA. Then again, if we are "ALL IN" and willing to stunt Sale's growth to benefit 2011, then we may as well bring Viciedo as our 4th OF.

No, no, no, no no. Please no more Viciedo on the bench.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
And why is that?

Dude needs plenty of reps defensively and offensively. No need to waste away on the bench like he did last season upon his callup. He will be in AAA. Bet on it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 11:40 PM)
Damn, Dayan is really pushing to make the team as the 4th OF, although I think I'd rather have him playing full time in AAA. Then again, if we are "ALL IN" and willing to stunt Sale's growth to benefit 2011, then we may as well bring Viciedo as our 4th OF.

Apprently made a real good defensive play out ther too earlier in the week adn threw a guy out at 3rd base. Ozzie was impressed

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)

Glad you were able to bring this up again. I think you realize how absurd the comparison is. Chris Sale is ready to contribute a significant amount to the major league club. Dayan Viciedo is not. Viciedo is also much more unrefined compared to Sale, and thus letting him play full time will be much better for him than coming off the bench.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
Dude needs plenty of reps defensively and offensively. No need to waste away on the bench like he did last season upon his callup. He will be in AAA. Bet on it.

But, but, but, but, we are ALL IN! That means we need to forget about player development and what will benefit the team the most in the long term and worry about 2011. Put Viciedo on this team and let him get 8 at-bats a week. The 2011 team will be better for it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
Glad you were able to bring this up again. I think you realize how absurd the comparison is. Chris Sale is ready to contribute a significant amount to the major league club. Dayan Viciedo is not. Viciedo is also much more unrefined compared to Sale, and thus letting him play full time will be much better for him than coming off the bench.

Disagree. Viciedo makes this 2011 team better, therefor, we should mortgage the future.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
Disagree. Viciedo makes this 2011 team better, therefor, we should mortgage the future.

But by how much? And at what cost?

In the perfect world, Viciedo is probably worth 1-1.5 WAR to the club through adequate defense and a good bat, but with limited plate appearances. In the same perfect world, Chris Sale is worth 1.5-2 WAR and contributes a ton towards WPA. Meanwhile, the replacement for Viciedo can still add 0.5-1.5 WAR off the bench, perhaps through defense or equal offensive output, while the replacement for Chris Sale is worth 0-0.5 WAR (because who in the organization can even compare to Sale?)

The different in the replacement value results in it making a ton of sense for Chris Sale to be in the bullpen while Viciedo refines his game in the minors while remaining the first called up if one of the big boys goes down for an extended period of time.

I know you won't agree nor take this into consideration, but it's worth mentioning anyways.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
But, but, but, but, we are ALL IN! That means we need to forget about player development and what will benefit the team the most in the long term and worry about 2011. Put Viciedo on this team and let him get 8 at-bats a week. The 2011 team will be better for it.

My god, just stop already.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
But by how much? And at what cost?

In the perfect world, Viciedo is probably worth 1-1.5 WAR to the club through adequate defense and a good bat, but with limited plate appearances. In the same perfect world, Chris Sale is worth 1.5-2 WAR and contributes a ton towards WPA. Meanwhile, the replacement for Viciedo can still add 0.5-1.5 WAR off the bench, perhaps through defense or equal offensive output, while the replacement for Chris Sale is worth 0-0.5 WAR (because who in the organization can even compare to Sale?)

The different in the replacement value results in it making a ton of sense for Chris Sale to be in the bullpen while Viciedo refines his game in the minors while remaining the first called up if one of the big boys goes down for an extended period of time.

I know you won't agree nor take this into consideration, but it's worth mentioning anyways.

o miay be drunk right now, but that's just bulls*** excuse. If you re going to argue that dale needs to be on the 2011 white soc because it makes them better, hten viciedo needs to be on te team because it makes them better. Sp vicidos develipment is worth sending him to AAA, but not sale? Just a cop out. either you are "all in" or you are not. can't have your cake and eat it otll.

suck it, sobers.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 01:59 AM)
o miay be drunk right now, but that's just bulls*** excuse. If you re going to argue that dale needs to be on the 2011 white soc because it makes them better, hten viciedo needs to be on te team because it makes them better. Sp vicidos develipment is worth sending him to AAA, but not sale? Just a cop out. either you are "all in" or you are not. can't have your cake and eat it otll.

suck it, sobers.

Translation for those needing it:

Oh, I may be drunk right now, but that is a horrid excuse. If you are going to argue that Sale needs to be on the 2011 White Sox because it makes them better, then Viciedo needs to be on the team because it makes them better. So, Viciedo's development is worth sending him to AAA, but not Sale? Just a cop out. Either you are "All In" or you are not. Can't have your cake and eat it to.

Suck it, sober people.

Edited by Quinarvy