2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So since Peavy might not be ready break camp with the team, I decided to take a better look at Humber.

There's definitely room to be a bit optimistic about the guy. He was absolutely horrible with the Twins, but his work in limited time last year with the Royals wasn't that bad (4.15 ERA, 3.31 FIP, 4.35 xFIP). For one, his fastball velocity went up about 1 MPH and proved to be much more effective than it was before when it was sitting around 90-91. He also threw the fastball less and relied more on his change-up and curveball, both of which had positive pitch values. With him learning a cutter, he could be an okay option for the 5th starter. All we really need him to do is keep us in games and I think he should be capable of doing that.

Marcel projects him for a 4.38 ERA and a 4.11 FIP in limited work, how certain Marcel is of those numbers is something I don't have access to.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 18, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
Don't know if it's been posted, but for everyone's information, the players out of options are Philip Humber, Sergio Santos, Brent Lillibridge and Jeffrey Marquez.

Santos and Humber are guaranteed jobs at this point.

Lillibridge has an outside shot, but is likely to lose out to Milledge, so they will probably try to put him through waivers and send him to Charlotte.

Marquez now may start the season with the team, and then get waived to go to Charlotte as well, and he will probably pass through just fine.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)
Santos and Humber are guaranteed jobs at this point.

Lillibridge has an outside shot, but is likely to lose out to Milledge, so they will probably try to put him through waivers and send him to Charlotte.

Marquez now may start the season with the team, and then get waived to go to Charlotte as well, and he will probably pass through just fine.

Has Marquez been stretched out, or just short stints?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 01:20 AM)
So since Peavy might not be ready break camp with the team, I decided to take a better look at Humber.

There's definitely room to be a bit optimistic about the guy. He was absolutely horrible with the Twins, but his work in limited time last year with the Royals wasn't that bad (4.15 ERA, 3.31 FIP, 4.35 xFIP). For one, his fastball velocity went up about 1 MPH and proved to be much more effective than it was before when it was sitting around 90-91. He also threw the fastball less and relied more on his change-up and curveball, both of which had positive pitch values. With him learning a cutter, he could be an okay option for the 5th starter. All we really need him to do is keep us in games and I think he should be capable of doing that.

Marcel projects him for a 4.38 ERA and a 4.11 FIP in limited work, how certain Marcel is of those numbers is something I don't have access to.

Not you, too! I'm not coming anywhere near this place in games that Humber starts. Heed my warning: it won't be a pretty site. He got DFA'd twice in like 20 minutes. When the Royals release you, that's all that needs to be said.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
Not you, too! I'm not coming anywhere near this place in games that Humber starts. Heed my warning: it won't be a pretty site. He got DFA'd twice in like 20 minutes. When the Royals release you, that's all that needs to be said.

If he fails, you will be thrilled to gloat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
If he fails, you will be thrilled to gloat.

Nope. I won't even be here. Shades of Felix Diaz, Jason Grilli, Arnie Munoz, Danny Wright, Josh Stewart and Mike Porzio are upon us. If any of the top 4, or even worse, multiple guys from the top 4, fail to produce at an acceptable level it's going to be a longgggggg year. That means Gavin can't suck ass for the first 6 weeks. Edwin has to develop this thing in sports we call consistency. Buehrle just has to get by, of course. And Danks has to be really good.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
Nope. I won't even be here. Shades of Felix Diaz, Jason Grilli, Arnie Munoz, Danny Wright, Josh Stewart and Mike Porzio are upon us. If any of the top 4, or even worse, multiple guys from the top 4, fail to produce at an acceptable level it's going to be a longgggggg year. That means Gavin can't suck ass for the first 6 weeks. Edwin has to develop this thing in sports we call consistency. Buehrle just has to get by, of course. And Danks has to be really good.

You just spent the afternoon yesterday gloating about Peavy. I don't see this being any different.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
You just spent the afternoon yesterday gloating about Peavy. I don't see this being any different.

What are you talking about? I just said that I wasn't surprised by the setback and never bought all the fluff that he was on this ridiculous pace and that he could be ready by opening day. It wasn't like, 'Hahahahaha, I told you Peavy wouldn't be ready. I was right and you were wrong.' Ozzie was harder on Peavy than I was. You really get the sense with Ozzie that Peavy is now a luxury, not a necessity, at this point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
What are you talking about? I just said that I wasn't surprised by the setback and never bought all the fluff that he was on this ridiculous pace and that he could be ready by opening day. It wasn't like, 'Hahahahaha, I told you Peavy wouldn't be ready. I was right and you were wrong.' Ozzie was harder on Peavy than I was. You really get the sense with Ozzie that Peavy is now a luxury, not a necessity, at this point.

I was right and you all were wrong is pretty much the definition of gloating.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
I was right and you all were wrong is pretty much the definition of gloating.

Um, but I didn't do that. And show me where I did. I was skeptical from the beginning. Peavy's injury is rare and unique and I never bought that he would be ready by opening day. May would be a best-case scenario and I'm thinking more towards the break.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)

He wasn't even that bad with the Royals. Besides, Dayton Moore isn't the best at major league talent evaluation. He has enough talent to be a serviceable fifth starter. He has a mediocre fastball and a decent change-up. Adding a cutter can't hurt either. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he puts up Freddy Garcia numbers.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)
He wasn't even that bad with the Royals. Besides, Dayton Moore isn't the best at major league talent evaluation. He has enough talent to be a serviceable fifth starter. He has a mediocre fastball and a decent change-up. Adding a cutter can't hurt either. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he puts up Freddy Garcia numbers.

That was in like 20 innings, though. Humber over the course of 150 innings or so? I'll take suicide over that.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
That was in like 20 innings, though. Humber over the course of 150 innings or so? I'll take suicide over that.

Who says he'll pitch 150 innings? I don't think I'd want him to pitch more than 50 and I hope we don't need him for more than 50.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
Who says he'll pitch 150 innings? I don't think I'd want him to pitch more than 50 and I hope we don't need him for more than 50.

I won't believe a thing the White Sox say regarding Peavy until he's pitching in a game that means something.. And if it's not Humber it'll be some scrub from the system. Same thing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
I won't believe a thing the White Sox say regarding Peavy until he's pitching in a game that means something.. And if it's not Humber it'll be some scrub from the system. Same thing.

Why do you distrust anything the Sox have said. They have said anything that wasn't accurate. They let him progress as the medical staff advised. Peavy hid the fact that his shoulder was more sore than normal. The Sox were encouraged with the fact that he was increasing his pitch count and throwing in the low 90's. Nothing looked wrong until the last start when he was throwing 85-90 but he also had the flu.

there is nothing in the scenario where the Sox misled anyone, and that shouldn't cause anyone to mistrust anything that has come out of this situation.

You can doubt if he will be ready which is legitimate if his strength doesn't increase at a good rate, however I can't see where they misled anyone.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
Why do you distrust anything the Sox have said. They have said anything that wasn't accurate. They let him progress as the medical staff advised. Peavy hid the fact that his shoulder was more sore than normal. The Sox were encouraged with the fact that he was increasing his pitch count and throwing in the low 90's. Nothi

ng looked wrong until the last start when he was throwing 85-90 but he also had the flu.

there is nothing in the scenario where the Sox misled anyone, and that shouldn't cause anyone to mistrust anything that has come out of this situation.

You can doubt if he will be ready which is legitimate if his strength doesn't increase at a good rate, however I can't see where they misled anyone.

Fair enough. I've re-read some of the articles that have come out over the last 24 hours and its clear Peavy was trying to be Wolverine and it's backfired once again. But from this point on the Sox better not listen to a thing Peavy says. It's safe to say he's more bark than bite and his net worth with us has been zero.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
Fair enough. I've re-read some of the articles that have come out over the last 24 hours and its clear Peavy was trying to be Wolverine and it's backfired once again. But from this point on the Sox better not listen to a thing Peavy says. It's safe to say he's more bark than bite and his net worth with us has been zero.

This is the key to the whole thing. The medical staff can do all of the tests they want but it's really hard to judge if someone is being totally honest. The only way they caught it is when his velocity was down and he struggled when pitching. If they have to wait until he struggles that much until they know he is having problems it will be a long time before his shoulder strength returns. It's just like any other strengthening program. when you reach a certain level and plateau you can't push it too hard or you will injure yourself to some degree. He was obviously going to hard and needed to back off but the staff didn't know it until the results dropped.

Cuts...

De Aza, Flowers, Bruney, McPherson, Gray, Lindsay, Kinney, Infante and Danks.

Down to 29, and that includes Peavy and Viciedo. So they're down to 27.

With Lucy just there to be a 3rd catcher, it's really just down to Lillibridge or Milledge. I think Humber is the 5th starter, and Marquez will be in the pen.

Edited by flavum