2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
I don't know, as I've watched almost nothing this spring. I'm guessing from this post and your post about Morel and Teahen in the other thread that, no, he has not out-pitched Infante.

Actually, no, I really have no idea.

All I'm asking for in any of these threads is for decisions that really shouldn't inspire passion by anyone to be based on what people are actually doing.

I actually think it makes more sense to bring Humber than Infante. If you bring Infante, it puts him into the 6th inning, close game, backup setup guy type of role - not the swingman, not the most important reliever, but he would appear in high leverage situations. That is something he should be eased into. Meanwhile, that would also leave Pena in the long relief role, and that's a spot where he got absolutely hammered last year. Instead, you can put Pena back in that role, where he has had some success before, and you can have Humber throw the low leverage innings.

Really, it's basically the proper allocation of resources. The Sox are paying Tony Pena ~$2 mill, so it makes sense to try and maximize that value by putting him into some more important situations rather than letting him throw garbage innings. Meanwhile, they are paying both Infante and Humber ~$400k, so it would make more sense to have them pitch the garbage innings. Humber is better suited for that role than Infante is.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 07:54 AM)

26 year old Aussie, NDFA by the Rockies in 2003, bounced around the minors with high K totals but also some walks, along with usually decent core numbers... until 2010, when his K:BB dropped off and he gave up a lot more runs, in AAA. Project guy, seems like.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
26 year old Aussie, NDFA by the Rockies in 2003, bounced around the minors with high K totals but also some walks, along with usually decent core numbers... until 2010, when his K:BB dropped off and he gave up a lot more runs, in AAA. Project guy, seems like.

Guys with control problems make sense to bring in with Cooper. He seems to have an idea how to fix arm slot, repeatability, and giving up velocity for control, so without knowing the stuff he brings, it could be something that works here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
Guys with control problems make sense to bring in with Cooper. He seems to have an idea how to fix arm slot, repeatability, and giving up velocity for control, so without knowing the stuff he brings, it could be something that works here.

His K-rates are practically Marmolian. If he can any sort of control, he could be extremely deadly.

The word project barely begins to describe Shane Lindsay. He's had 24.2 innings at AAA. He's walked 33 in that time. For him to become an effective MLB pitcher, he has to cut his career walk rate approximately in half. Perhaps there is something there, but you aren't going to see it until next year at the very earliest, and that will likely be with a different organization.

Floyd is throwing on the side tomorrow, so the rotation is set:

Buehrle: 3/16, 3/21, 3/26 (4/1 at Cle)

Jackson: 3/17, 3/22, 3/27 (4/2 at Cle)

Danks: 3/18, 3/23, 3/28 (4/3 at Cle)

Peavy: 3/19, 3/24, 3/29 (4/6 at KC)

Floyd: 3/20, 3/25, 3/30 (4/5 at KC)

I guess they'll flip Floyd and Peavy, but if they just let Peavy be the 4th starter, it would be fine with me.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
His K-rates are practically Marmolian. If he can any sort of control, he could be extremely deadly.

lmao. Oh my goodness. What is with you? Is there not any scrub that we could bring in that you don't think we can turn into the next superstar?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
lmao. Oh my goodness. What is with you? Is there not any scrub that we could bring in that you don't think we can turn into the next superstar?

Uh what? When did I say we can turn him into a superstar? I said "IF" not "WHEN". I said "COULD" not "WILL". Is it not true that his biggest concern is his walks? And is it not true that his K rates are really impressive? Not sure what you are seeing....

I guess next time I should just say he is a piece of garbage who should never see a mound for the rest of his life and just give up on baseball?

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

5 innings for Floyd this morning vs the minor league campers. 83 pitches.

Mark Gonzales said on the Score that the probable opening day lineup will start tomorrow-also on CSN.

Pierre, Beckham, Dunn, Konerko, Rios, Quentin, Pierzynski, Ramirez, Morel

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
The word project barely begins to describe Shane Lindsay. He's had 24.2 innings at AAA. He's walked 33 in that time. For him to become an effective MLB pitcher, he has to cut his career walk rate approximately in half. Perhaps there is something there, but you aren't going to see it until next year at the very earliest, and that will likely be with a different organization.

he looked really strong in a B game I watched the other day, mowing down Valbuena and Santana from the Indians. That guy's FB has some hop on it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 10:37 PM)
(I don't know how to link individual tweets)

Click the area where it shows how long ago the tweet posted (i.e., "2 minutes ago") and it will bring up just that individual tweet. You can then use that url.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)
I guess next time I should just say he is a piece of garbage who should never see a mound for the rest of his life and just give up on baseball?

Sorry, we use the term "he's bad at baseball" around here.