2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
It will be interesting to see what kind of a price cut Buehrle would take to come back to Chicago. He sure won't come back at $14 million per.

what price cut would he take to go to st louis...that an even more interesting question i think

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
what price cut would he take to go to st louis...that an even more interesting question i think

St Louis is not going to sign Mark Buehrle. Period. If they resign Pujols, they don't have the money. If they don't they have no reason to invest in a player of that stature as they are going into rebuilding mode.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
St Louis is not going to sign Mark Buehrle. Period. If they resign Pujols, they don't have the money. If they don't they have no reason to invest in a player of that stature as they are going into rebuilding mode.

And if they fail to resign Pujols, then they are going to have a lot of extra money to spend, some of which could be spent on Buehrle.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
And if they fail to resign Pujols, then they are going to have a lot of extra money to spend, some of which could be spent on Buehrle.

No it won't. They have Carpenter, Wainwright, Garcia, Westbrook, and Lohse all under team control next year, and only Garcia is cheap.

My guess is that Buehrle either resigns with Chicago or retires. I think he'll end up resigning with the Sox regardless of how they finish this year at around $10-12 mill a year on a 2-3 year deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
No it won't. They have Carpenter, Wainwright, Garcia, Westbrook, and Lohse all under team control next year, and only Garcia is cheap.

My guess is that Buehrle either resigns with Chicago or retires. I think he'll end up resigning with the Sox regardless of how they finish this year at around $10-12 mill a year on a 2-3 year deal.

I'd be down with that, even on the high end. 3 years at $12 million for a guy who you know you are getting 225 IP, plus being in almost every game is totally worth it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)

Cardinals do hold a $15M club option for Carpenter, and a $9M club option on Wainwright, and could trade Lohse or Westbrook, so it could happen.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Cardinals do hold a $15M club option for Carpenter, and a $9M club option on Wainwright, and could trade Lohse or Westbrook, so it could happen.

They'll pick up the options for Carpenter and Wainwright - they'd be insane not to. They aren't going to be able to trade Lohse, and they aren't going to trade Westbrook to bring in a pitcher who may not be an upgrade at a more expensive price.

In other words, I could hook up with whatever hot celebrity you can name, but it's not going to happen.

A note on the Wainwright option(s): it's not just $9M for 2012, it's actually $10M for 2012 and $12M for 2013. Both of these option years have already vested becoming guaranteed but the Cardinals do have an out clause related to arm injuries that will allow them to void both years at the end of the 2011 season if they choose (they must void both, can't just void one). All signs point to them not voiding these 2 years but the decision does becomes a bit more difficult when they have to decide between 2 years, $22M rather than the 1 year, $9M that Joe mentioned. In the end they'll either leave the 2 years intact or renegotiate a new deal, he's not going anywhere.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
They'll pick up the options for Carpenter and Wainwright - they'd be insane not to. They aren't going to be able to trade Lohse, and they aren't going to trade Westbrook to bring in a pitcher who may not be an upgrade at a more expensive price.

In other words, I could hook up with whatever hot celebrity you can name, but it's not going to happen.

I wouldn't say it's insane not to pick up a $15M option on a 37-year-old pitcher with history of injuries. Especially if it's in exchange for a 33-year-old pitcher who will cost millions less, and has been the most durable pitcher in baseball since his career started, AND grew up as a big fan and has publicly stated his desire to play there.

It's far from a sure thing.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
I wouldn't say it's insane not to pick up a $15M option on a 37-year-old pitcher with history of injuries. Especially if it's in exchange for a 33-year-old pitcher who will cost millions less, and has been the most durable pitcher in baseball since his career started, AND grew up as a big fan and has publicly stated his desire to play there.

Problem is, the Cardinals aren't going to want to pay M-56 something like $10-$12 million if they don't think they have a first place team next year, and I can't imagine M-56 wanting to go through another season for 1/2 that price.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)

He would literally have to be hurt for them not to pick it up.

I've also yet to see any real indication that Buehrle actually wants to pitch in St. Louis (like recently). He's really only indicated that he's a Cardinals fan.

It's too far into the future to speculate. At this point in time, I would give Buehrle a 1% chance of pitching in St. Louis next year, a 94% chance of pitching in Chicago, and a 5% chance of retiring.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 03:39 PM)

I've also yet to see any real indication that Buehrle actually wants to pitch in St. Louis (like recently). He's really only indicated that he's a Cardinals fan.

It's too far into the future to speculate. At this point in time, I would give Buehrle a 1% chance of pitching in St. Louis next year, a 94% chance of pitching in Chicago, and a 5% chance of retiring.

That sounds about right to me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)

I'd say

20% Cards

70% Sox

5% Other team

5% Retirement

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)

Prince Fielder for $20 million a year and Buerhle for $10 million is probably a quick rebuild if they don't want to pay Pujols $30 million for 10 years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
Prince Fielder for $20 million a year and Buerhle for $10 million is probably a quick rebuild if they don't want to pay Pujols $30 million for 10 years.

If they can't justify giving Pujols $30 million, I don't know how they could possibly justify paying Prince $20 million. I think he would be the last person I would want to offer a huge deal to.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 03:23 AM)
If they can't justify giving Pujols $30 million, I don't know how they could possibly justify paying Prince $20 million. I think he would be the last person I would want to offer a huge deal to.

I agree with this 100%, especially for a long term deal. His deal is going to go down as one of the worst in MLB history. That is my predicition.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
I agree with this 100%, especially for a long term deal. His deal is going to go down as one of the worst in MLB history. That is my predicition.

The one thing going against that prediction is the fact that the Yankees don't appear to be on the market for a DH type next year

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
First nine games matchups:

4-1 Buehrle - Carmona

4-2 Jackson - Carrasco

4-3 Danks - Masterson

4-4

4-5 Floyd - Hochevar

4-6 Humber - Francis

4-7 Buehrle - Price

4-8 Jackson - Shields

4-9 Danks - Davis

4-10 Floyd - Niemann

Bah! I'm moving to Jefferson City, MO in a week and was going to sneak over to KC on the 6th for the game. It will be my first trip to Kauffman (always thought it looked like a great park on tv, heard great things about the environment as well). I was hoping the cards would fall such that I would get to see one of our 'real' starters. Oh well, probably the only game I'll get to go to so make the most of it! :headbang

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
I'm thinking I just might get up Chicago to see on of those opening series games against the Rays. It depends on the weather forecast first and foremost.

I think I am going to try to get to one of that weekends games as the weather forecast comes into focus as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
I think I am going to try to get to one of that weekends games as the weather forecast comes into focus as well.

If I can get up there I'll let you know. Maybe we can hook up, have dinner or something.