2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
As of today, considering the players who are still in camp, Teahen is anywhere from the 7th to 10th best hitter, depending upon how you view Pierre, Morel, and Pierzynski. He just doesn't play very good defense at any position, which is why he's a bench player who plays sporadically instead of having a set position. So to answer your question, Teahen is a better option than pretty much everybody in camp for a utility position.

At which position is Mark Teahen, the White Sox's best utility option?

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
At which position is Mark Teahen, the White Sox's best utility option?

Depends on how he hits. If he hits like he did in his limited time last season, you're right, nowhere.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
Depends on how he hits. If he hits like he did in his limited time last season, you're right, nowhere.

Let's face it: Teahen's on the roster for one reason and one reason only: HIS CONTRACT ($3.75 million/yr).

If Kenny could trade Teahen, he would. My thinking is if the White Sox can pay Manny Ramirez $3 Million, to rent him for a month, why can't they eat some of Teahen's money?

After all, isn't it about putting the BEST team on the field?

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
Let's face it: Teahen's on the roster for one reason and one reason only: HIS CONTRACT ($3.75 million/yr).

If Kenny could trade Teahen, he would. My thinking is if the White Sox can pay Manny Ramirez $3 Million, to rent him for a month, why can't they eat some of Teahen's money?

Because eating Teahen's money flat out doesn't make this team better.

What player out there available for the league minimum will give you more?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
Because eating Teahen's money flat out doesn't make this team better.

What player out there available for the league minimum will give you more?

In my opinion, the White Sox have better options for utility: Deaza, also sent down, is a lefty, just like Teahen, but adds a speed dimension (base stealer, pinch runner) , better outfielder, and comparable hitting (better BA, similiar OBP, similiar RBIs).

Jordan Danks, another lefty, had an impressive spring, as well.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
In my opinion, the White Sox have better options for utility: Deaza, also sent down, is a lefty, just like Teahen, but adds a speed dimension (base stealer, pinch runner) , better outfielder, and comparable hitting (better BA, similiar OBP, similiar RBIs).

D2 doesn't belong anywhere near this roster right now.

If you were to bring De Aza north with you, your only backup IF for 3 positions is 44 year old Omar Vizquel.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)

Teahen has a much stronger bat than De Aza IMO and makes a better insurance policy in the event of injury. If Dunn goes down, I'd much rather insert Teahen's bat into the lineup than De Aza's.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)

Wrong.

Yup. Which is why a few of us have now said he is our best utility option.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)

You do realize what a utility player is right? Because neither De Aza or Danks are that. They are both not as good anyways.

Teahen has a decent bat. It's not great but it's fine for a bench player. Teahen can serve as a back-up at 4-5 positions, thus the utility moniker. If we eat Teahen's contract it means he is replaced by Lillibridge. Are you going to argue that he is a better player? I'd hope not. Using De Aza or Danks in your argument is comparing apples to oranges.

And even if not, how you could make a case for D2 being a better player than Teahen at this point baffles me.

Say what you want about the guy, but contract aside, Mark Teahen is one of the better utility player options out there.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
You do realize what a utility player is right? Because neither De Aza or Danks are that. They are both not as good anyways.

Teahen has a decent bat. It's not great but it's fine for a bench player. Teahen can serve as a back-up at 4-5 positions, thus the utility moniker. If we eat Teahen's contract it means he is replaced by Lillibridge. Are you going to argue that he is a better player? I'd hope not. Using De Aza or Danks in your argument is comparing apples to oranges.

And even if not, how you could make a case for D2 being a better player than Teahen at this point baffles me.

Say what you want about the guy, but contract aside, Mark Teahen is one of the better utility player options out there.

A utility player covers multiple positions. DeAza and Danks can cover LF, RF, CF. Teahen can cover LF, RF, 1B. All three have only 3 positions they can cover, so none of these guys are really all that special when it comes to a utility role, and none are prototypical utility players. Teahen's best quality, and where he has the advantage, is with the bat. The other two have the advantages of covering a difficult position in CF.

Teahen can cover 4-5 positions the way Ty Wigginton can play SS or Rob Mackowiak could play CF. His time in CF, 2B, 3B doesn't count. If we're still going to be penciling Teahen in at 3B then we might as well consider Omar a CF and Lilli a 1B. Might as well use Castro in LF.

Lillibridge is better than Teahen in that he can play multiple skill positions which Teahen cannot. He's also a better pinch runner option. Deciding who the better player is between the two comes down to the needs of the team.

Personally I'd rather have Lillibridge over Teahen and have that defensive versatility, but whatever. A bench of Castro, Omar, Lilli, and Milledge would be just fine with me if it's 4 men. If we have to take Teahen then I'd take 5 bench guys and leave off the extra pitcher since we're not going to be bringing a legitimate major league pitcher up as that extra bullpen guy. Give me the extra bench guy over the extra gas can please.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
A utility player covers multiple positions. DeAza and Danks can cover LF, RF, CF. Teahen can cover LF, RF, 1B. All three have only 3 positions they can cover, so none of these guys are really all that special when it comes to a utility role, and none are prototypical utility players. Teahen's best quality, and where he has the advantage, is with the bat. The other two have the advantages of covering a difficult position in CF.

Teahen can cover 4-5 positions the way Ty Wigginton can play SS or Rob Mackowiak could play CF. His time in CF, 2B, 3B doesn't count. If we're still going to be penciling Teahen in at 3B then we might as well consider Omar a CF and Lilli a 1B. Might as well use Castro in LF.

Lillibridge is better than Teahen in that he can play multiple skill positions which Teahen cannot. He's also a better pinch runner option. Deciding who the better player is between the two comes down to the needs of the team.

Personally I'd rather have Lillibridge over Teahen and have that defensive versatility, but whatever. A bench of Castro, Omar, Lilli, and Milledge would be just fine with me if it's 4 men. If we have to take Teahen then I'd take 5 bench guys and leave off the extra pitcher since we're not going to be bringing a legitimate major league pitcher up as that extra bullpen guy. Give me the extra bench guy over the extra gas can please.

lol @ your sig.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)

The thought is that Teahen plays, at most, 40 games at 3B. The Sox are going to go with Morel at 3B as the starter, and if he struggles to the point that it appears he can't hang, I have to imagine the Sox will go with Vizquel for a while again, just as they did last year while sending Morel down and bringing up an infielder - be it Escobar or Robbie Hudson or Brent Lillibridge or Luis Aparicio. If Teahen is playing that little at 3B, he is not going to have a drastic effect on the overall outcome.

The other side of that is that Teahen actually offers some offensive production off the bench. If Brent Lillibridge put up a .650 OPS, it would be a minor miracle. He does absolutely nothing offensively. I happen to like Lillibridge too, but he's simply not cut out to play for the Sox right now. So what if he can play a bunch of different positions - several other people too. I don't see people beating down Denny Hocking's door. Not nearly as many can put up a .765 OPS against RHP, and that would be perfectly acceptable off the bench.

Just looking at the rotations of some of the teams the Sox face in April, it looks like Buehrle's first three starts will be against Fausto Carmona, David Price (home opener), and Trevor Cahill. Last year for Buehrle to start on Opening Day?

This, of course, is if they avoid rain and blizzards the first couple weeks.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
Just looking at the rotations of some of the teams the Sox face in April, it looks like Buehrle's first three starts will be against Fausto Carmona, David Price (home opener), and Trevor Cahill. Last year for Buehrle to start on Opening Day?

This, of course, is if they avoid rain and blizzards the first couple weeks.

A lot depends on how the year goes but I think this might be the last year for Buehrle pitching at all.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
A lot depends on how the year goes but I think this might be the last year for Buehrle pitching at all.

If the Sox don't resign Buehrle you don't think he'll go to St. Louis to finish out his career?

QUOTE (moochpuppy @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
Obviously me since I asked the question.

If the White Sox lose the division this year, they're going to be cutting back substantially on salary, they've made that clear. They need the revenue from a playoff win to make up for the salary increase. That means their big money FA's are likely to be let walk. Edwin Jackson and Mark Buehrle are their 2 biggest contracts that end after this season.

It's possible they could agree to resign Buerhle anyway. I'd call that very likely if they win the division and marginal at best if they don't.

If the Sox don't resign Buehrle, then it's going to be a question of whether STL wants to spend money next offseason. They have a $30 million free agent that they can't afford to lose but also can't afford to keep. If they keep him, then they might not have enough money to convince M-56 to pitch for another year. If they lose him, then it makes no sense for them to spend a lot of money on a #2 starter, especially with Wainright coming off of the Tommy John and likely not being back to 100% until 2013.

It's a very difficult set of circumstances to see Buehrle walk as a FA happily...and it's even harder to see STL having a situation where they'd go after him. It could happen, just not likely.