Southeast Region

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pittsburgh has such an easy draw, it's amazing. They HAVE to make this their time and get to the Final Four. I seriously think Butler could make the Final Four again if they somehow win their first two games. This region is that bad. If the Jimmers still had Brandon Davies, I'd love them here. Even without him, they have a shot though IMO.

Will any experts even pick Wisconsin to win? Belmont was everyone's "sleeper" mid-major team, Wisco just scored 33 points in their last game too and isn't the same team away from the Kohl Center. I think they can pull it off though, but Belmont +4.5 looks like a good bet to me.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 07:19 AM)
Will any experts even pick Wisconsin to win? Belmont was everyone's "sleeper" mid-major team, Wisco just scored 33 points in their last game too and isn't the same team away from the Kohl Center. I think they can pull it off though, but Belmont +4.5 looks like a good bet to me.

It's funny cause Wiscy the 33 points masks their real problem which is actually on the defensive side of things which is very odd for them. They're still one of most efficient offensive teams in the country this season but they struggle on the other side of the ball.

Wisconsin gave up over 70 points 1 time the entire season, how is defense their problem?

As I have said the entire season, Wisconsin is a very difficult team to pick because they rely on shooting. If they are cold ie PSU where they shot 2-21 from 3, including Leuer and Taylor going 1-13, they could quite easily lose to Baylor.

But the Wisconsin defense gives up less than 70 points a game, and that is going to give Belmont trouble.

It is Wisconsin's game to lose, if they shoot well they win, if they shoot bad they lose. I personally think that it is a great draw for Wisconsin as they are not going against any super athletic teams that can beat Wisconsin even on Wisconsin's best day.

Defensive efficiency at 63 isn't really bad considering how many offenses they played with top 40 efficiency (OSU, Purdue, PSU, ILL and NU) especially considering the difference between MSU (35th defense) and Wisconsin (63) is 1.6 points, which I can only imagine is much closer if you take out the OSU game where they went 18-19 from 3.

Its one of those times where the stats are not exactly correct. Now Im not going to say Wisconsin is the best defense, but they are certainly a tough defense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
Defensive efficiency at 63 isn't really bad considering how many offenses they played with top 40 efficiency (OSU, Purdue, PSU, ILL and NU) especially considering the difference between MSU (35th defense) and Wisconsin (63) is 1.6 points, which I can only imagine is much closer if you take out the OSU game where they went 18-19 from 3.

Its one of those times where the stats are not exactly correct. Now Im not going to say Wisconsin is the best defense, but they are certainly a tough defense.

You're looking at adjusted efficiency which already take into the equation the offense of other teams. Their actual d efficiency is somewhere in the 150's, not every good, in fact it's pretty poor. This is another team that allows over a point per possession, that kind of stuff usually wont get it done.

Once again, you can use the stats all you want, Im just not going to be that concerned about a defense that outside of 1 game, never lost by more than 10 to only tournament teams on the road or neutral sites.

I just dont see a lot of games Wisconsin lost that was because of their defense. Most of the games they lost was due to their offense going long stretches without scoring.

I dont believe there is a statistic for that, but the only game that Wisconsin got beat bad defensively was OSU.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Wisconsin gave up over 70 points 1 time the entire season, how is defense their problem?

As I have said the entire season, Wisconsin is a very difficult team to pick because they rely on shooting. If they are cold ie PSU where they shot 2-21 from 3, including Leuer and Taylor going 1-13, they could quite easily lose to Baylor.

But the Wisconsin defense gives up less than 70 points a game, and that is going to give Belmont trouble.

It is Wisconsin's game to lose, if they shoot well they win, if they shoot bad they lose. I personally think that it is a great draw for Wisconsin as they are not going against any super athletic teams that can beat Wisconsin even on Wisconsin's best day.

Belmont has one of the best outside shooting teams in the country though. They have three guys over 40% and another 3 or 4 in the mid 30 range.

In fact, Belmont is kind of similar to Wisconsin. I think this is a 58-54 type game which can go either way to be honest.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
Once again, you can use the stats all you want, Im just not going to be that concerned about a defense that outside of 1 game, never lost by more than 10 to only tournament teams on the road or neutral sites.

I just dont see a lot of games Wisconsin lost that was because of their defense. Most of the games they lost was due to their offense going long stretches without scoring.

I dont believe there is a statistic for that, but the only game that Wisconsin got beat bad defensively was OSU.

It seems like 10 points with Wisconsin's traditional offense can be more like 15-20 points to other teams on offense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
I agree that it is entirely going to be the team that shoots better. But since I cant predict who will be hot or cold, Ill go with the team that has 2 potential NBA players (Leuer and Taylor) and who can hopefully take over a game.

I got Wisco as a sleeper final four pick in at least one of my brackets, and definitely to the sweet 16.. I think their particular piece of the regional could be won by them easily.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
Both of those teams are terrible. For that to be an 8-9 game is a joke.

That's silly.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 17, 2011 -> 10:46 PM)
UCLA is trying hard to complete the biggest choke job in college basketball history.

That was absurd, wanted to throw something at my tv, thankfully the Bruins held on. They're a very talented team but god damn they're dumb at times.

Also, good win for the Badgers. Belmont wasn't outclassed but Wiscy made their shots and were certainly the better basketball team.