Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After throwing his first bullpen session Sunday since suffering right rotator cuff tendinitis, Chicago White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy said he will stay in Arizona to continue his rehabilitation.

Peavy said he will rejoin the team in Chicago in time for their homestand that starts April 7, and then probably start a minor league rehabilitation assignment of about three to four starts.

Peavy said he felt fine after throwing more than 30 pitches off a mound under the supervision of pitching coach Don Cooper. Manager Ozzie Guillen, bullpen coach Juan Nieves and minor league pitching coaches Kirk Champion and Curt Hasler also observed.

Peavy stressed that he would defer to the Sox's medical staff but understands that he will need to build arm strength after not pitching since March 19.

article version

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Pe...?urn=mlb-338498

Peavy feels good after throwing

By Mark J. Miller

Jake PeavyChicago White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy(notes) didn't throw a ball for eight days due to rotator-cuff tendinitis and then took to the mound Sunday to throw "about 35 pitches" while the team's coaching staff watched his every move, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

The paper reports that Peavy "said his shoulder felt OK" and that he's ready for his extended spring training.

"So I want to stay here at least for a week or so and get a few side sessions in a game or two, or some simulated work, before I get back with the team," Peavy said, according to the Sun-Times.

Let the rumors come to you. Follow Scoop du Jour on Twitter or Facebook.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
Peavy is currently pitching against Sox minor leaguers (and some major leaguers).

7 up/7 down, including striking out Quentin.

Scott Merkin

13 up, 13 down for Peavy. Six outs in his last inning. Three Ks

- 2 of them Quentin, 45 pitches total.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
^

Even better.

I'm just a big believer that if you have a crappy 5th starter, and you can skip him without the other four pitching on short rest, you do it.

I still hate the idea of using Mr. "Offday" as starter #5.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
Even when that 5th starter is Phillip Humber?

Especially if we're concerned about the weather early in the season, yes. A double header makes things especially hard.

Just about every one of our pitchers gets better on extra rest, more than 5 days actually helps these guys. I think there was one who didn't, but it was an iffy comparison, when I looked last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
Especially if we're concerned about the weather early in the season, yes. A double header makes things especially hard.

Just about every one of our pitchers gets better on extra rest, more than 5 days actually helps these guys. I think there was one who didn't, but it was an iffy comparison, when I looked last year.

Ok, I may have to come over to your side on this issue. I did look up the Floyd, Buehrle, and Danks's splits, and indeed, they were all much better on 5 days rest over 4 days rest last year. I guess I won't complain either way on this, but I'd rather only see Humber twice over four times. We'll see how it plays out in April.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
Peavy threw 59 pitches in a simulated game today. No problems.

Goal must be for for him to go out on Friday and throw 80.

Then I'm guessing next Wednesday the goal is for 100.

Who knows thou - I'm no doctor ;)