Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
I don't care how much of a competitor Peavy is, or how hard he's trying to come back to be of value to this team. He's nothing but a drain on this team. Go f*** yourself, you glass piece of s***.

Lmao. Damn. I thought I was supposed to be the board demon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
Really, no. It's like that in the sense that it's 1/1000th of it.

Maybe I should have added it reminds me of the Lebron madness on Soxtalk. The varying opinions and theories from all angles, when no one knows the complete truth yet.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
I see some similarity in that nobody really knows what's going on, yet there is a new report every few minutes, all of it speculative.

Thank you.

I love how people are getting pissed at Jake for pitching his last start. It's not like Jake has the final call. Ozzie, Coop and Herm had to give him the go ahead, so if its his last start that aggravated it (when he had the flu) they deserve as much blame as anything.

Christ, people hated guys like Javy and Swish for their less than competitive attitude.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
I love how people are getting pissed at Jake for pitching his last start. It's not like Jake has the final call. Ozzie, Coop and Herm had to give him the go ahead, so if its his last start that aggravated it (when he had the flu) they deserve as much blame as anything.

Christ, people hated guys like Javy and Swish for their less than competitive attitude.

Yeah, but he kept pushing Ozzie until Ozzie finally gave in. Jake should be blaming himself, while Ozzie was actually right in that he shouldn't let Jake pitch. Sometimes you have to let a player prove why they should listen to the manager.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
So why on Earth was Jake tossing today?

There is just some inflammation in the tendons. You need to work them lightly to get the fluid out and maintain strength.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
Yeah, but he kept pushing Ozzie until Ozzie finally gave in. Jake should be blaming himself, while Ozzie was actually right in that he shouldn't let Jake pitch. Sometimes you have to let a player prove why they should listen to the manager.

I really doubt that happened. It was more likely that Jake just said he felt good and though he could handle it. If they really though it wasn't good for him they wouldn't have let him. I'm sure most of the reason was that he couldn't start the season if he didn't stay on his regular turn. This all turned out to be the wrong decision but that's hindsight. At the time it seemed like he was doing well.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
I really doubt that happened. It was more likely that Jake just said he felt good and though he could handle it. If they really though it wasn't good for him they wouldn't have let him. I'm sure most of the reason was that he couldn't start the season if he didn't stay on his regular turn. This all turned out to be the wrong decision but that's hindsight. At the time it seemed like he was doing well.

It may actually have been a blessing in disguise for this blip to arrive now instead of later.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)

So basically, we're going to have to treat him with kid gloves every day for the next two years because he has no idea what his body can and cannot handle? This is not a smartass comment towards you, ptatc.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)

I'm only angry at Peavy because he cannot stay healthy. He'd find a way to injure himself while watching TV.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:10 PM)
I'm only angry at Peavy because he cannot stay healthy. He'd find a way to injure himself while watching TV.

I'd be more pissed off if I thought this was something that was completely avoidable.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
So basically, we're going to have to treat him with kid gloves every day for the next two years because he has no idea what his body can and cannot handle? This is not a smartass comment towards you, ptatc.

When a pitcher doesn't necessarily tell you the truth (for a variety of reasons) and has an injury history, the Sox may need to be more conservative with him. however I think its safe to say the someone who has the flu, can't hold down solid food for a few days and is rehabbing from shoulder surgery, probably should take a little time off.

Edited by ptatc

Hurting himself because he's pushing himself a little too hard is much better than missing extensive time due to carpal tunnel syndrome from spending too much time on the internet.

Jake has really done nothing to piss me off. I appreciate that he is working as hard as he is and wants to win so badly and I'm sure his teammates and manager do too. I just hope that karma pulls through in this instance and he can stay healthy. I think he will.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
I don't care how much of a competitor Peavy is, or how hard he's trying to come back to be of value to this team. He's nothing but a drain on this team. Go f*** yourself, you glass piece of s***.

That's pretty radical, but I would be stunned if he ever pitches a full season. He's too injury prone at this point.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)

I'll try and find the article or quote, but Ozzie literally said prior to the game that he didn't want Peavy starting, but Peavy keep pleading to start, and Ozzie finally gave in.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
Hurting himself because he's pushing himself a little too hard is much better than missing extensive time due to carpal tunnel syndrome from spending too much time on the internet.

Jake has really done nothing to piss me off. I appreciate that he is working as hard as he is and wants to win so badly and I'm sure his teammates and manager do too. I just hope that karma pulls through in this instance and he can stay healthy. I think he will.

+1.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 01:26 AM)
I'll try and find the article or quote, but Ozzie literally said prior to the game that he didn't want Peavy starting, but Peavy keep pleading to start, and Ozzie finally gave in.

That sounds like Ozzie's problem to me. No pitcher worth his salt in the history of ever has willingly left a game or admitted he shouldn't start one (he said hyperbolically). They just bend to the manager's will because that's how the Chain o' Command works. Since when has Ozzie not owned his authority? Sounds fishy to me.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 07:18 PM)

This is probably the best non-PTATC post in this thread.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:06 PM)

And this is the next best post.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)

Great post. Completely agree.

How many times do we see guys with huge paychecks half-ass it until their FA year, or take it easy when they get hurt etc...This guy is making a ton of money and isn't coming close to earning. And he knows it and acknowledges it and is doing his best to get back out there and try to help this team. Do I wish he didn't try to act like superman here and let himself recover in a more realistic time frame? Absolutely. But I am never going to bash this guy for not trying or caring and just taking his money and running. I wish every guy on the Sox had the same attitude and desire to succeed as him.

Peavy said he plans to play catch again today, including possibly at long-toss distance and “push it as far as we can without pushing it.’’

Great thinking Jake.

Push it as far as you can...

But don't push it.