Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis

Heads22

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that was left of KW interview:

MDGonzales Mark Gonzales

KW never got hopes up, always felt May 1 realistic for Peavy. Still referred to his last ailment as a 'blip,' says Sox covered internally.

Can we now lock this thread until/if/when Peavy comes back.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:02 PM)
Explain to me how he's not a drain on the team, then. I can't be held responsible because someone can't interpret what I said. I'm angry because I know he doesn't suck, in fact he's quite good. We just can't see how good he is because he's always on the DL.

I have seen the word "bust" thrown around a couple of times, implying that he has no future value.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
:notworthy If Webster's ever needs an illustration for pessimist, they should give you a call. :lolhitting Why do you even follow the team?I'm convinced you're a troll with nothing but Cubbie pinstripes everywhere.

Now you are just grasping at straws. Thanks for the laugh.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
It's also hard to argue that he hasn't been a bust so far. I'm not even sure bust implies that he will never come back.

You simply can't call him a bust because of things he has accomplished in his career so far. PERIOD.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
It's also hard to argue that he hasn't been a bust so far. I'm not even sure bust implies that he will never come back.

When I think "bust", I think "worthless and done". People don't cry "bust" when they think there's a significant chance the player might contribute a lot later on. Perhaps that's just my interpretation.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:21 PM)
You simply can't call him a bust because of things he has accomplished in his career so far. PERIOD.

I would get calling the trade a bust in a few years if he has been perpetually injured between now and then. It's just really premature.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
I would get calling the trade a bust in a few years if he has been perpetually injured between now and then. It's just really premature.

I don't believe I used the term "bust", but the deal has definitely been a bust to this point. That's not to say it can't change, but I can't see how it's too early to say it has been to this point.

I'm more optimistic today than I was a month ago about Peavy. Some of you are seriously over-reacting to some tendinitis that was highly expected. Guy is still ahead of schedule and we know that he's got velocity and stuff back (based upon some spring outings).

By June 15th he'll be rolling, and he'll be on the mound in Chicago no later than May 15th.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:28 PM)
I don't believe I used the term "bust", but the deal has definitely been a bust to this point. That's not to say it can't change, but I can't see how it's too early to say it has been to this point.

No, you never used it. But there ARE people completely writing him off which I think is incredibly foolish. You're not one of them.

IMO, it's too early to call the trade a bust for the same reason it's too early to call an NFL team's draft anything until you're like 3-5 years in. You can say how the players have been so far, but broad, sweeping judgments are unwarranted.

Again, this is not actually directed at you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
That same surgeon had another comment somewhere a page or two ago.

Remember this is a surgeon. He has no idea about normal spring training activities and normal soreness. He only sees clients when they have significant problems. I think the conversation between him and Schneider at St went something like this:

AR: I hear Peavy is having problems

HS: Yeah he's tender over the rotator cuff kind of like everyone else now

AR: Everyone gets sore?

HS: Yeah none of them really follow the off season workouts like they should but with meds it goes away.

AR: Really. Huh. Well let's rest him a few weeks and see how it feels

HS: It only takes a few days then he should throw to keep it strong so he can keep progressing.

AR: OK let's do that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
Remember this is a surgeon. He has no idea about normal spring training activities and normal soreness. He only sees clients when they have significant problems. I think the conversation between him and Schneider at St went something like this:

HS: Yeah none of them really follow the off season workouts like they should but with meds it goes away.

HS: It only takes a few days then he should throw to keep it strong so he can keep progressing.

That conversation is actually quite familiar :lolhitting

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)

So does this mean Peavy might have a significant problem or was Romero just taking a look at the MRI results?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)
So does this mean Peavy might have a significant problem or was Romero just taking a look at the MRI results?

This means that it came out that JP had tendinitis, and a reasonable person to ask for an opinion was the surgeon who worked on him, even if that surgeon had no new information about JP's current status.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)
No, you never used it. But there ARE people completely writing him off which I think is incredibly foolish. You're not one of them.

IMO, it's too early to call the trade a bust for the same reason it's too early to call an NFL team's draft anything until you're like 3-5 years in. You can say how the players have been so far, but broad, sweeping judgments are unwarranted.

I know what you mean and I'm definitely not taking offense. There just doesn't seem to be a problem with the statement that the Peavy deal has been a bust. It's just semantics, though.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
That can easily be interpreted as "he sucks"

I'm glad that someone else points out such irrationality so I don't have to. The point is Milk and J4L - that both of you have been out of line recently and that is why I've chosen to ignore you. It's a soxtalk policy not to personally attack not only poster - but players as well.

I don't enjoy constant negativity and it's something I chose not to subject myself to. All that I'm doing is pointing out the underlying negative attitude that you both have. It's my personal choice and action to ignore you both. With regard to your false assertions that my posts have no merit - look back again pal - I'm always making reference to actual news or seeking out information from board members who have qualifications to make educated posts.

There are two camps here - one in which irrational emotionally negative charged statements run wild and another in which hope, trust, constructive conversation, and rationality are valued.

If you have some sort of issue reading this - it's surely not because of my writing or the content of my writing.

I've been here for quite a long time as well Milk and it's safe to say that i just dont get along with people who have a mindset like yours. Let's stop the personal attacks on players and posters.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 10:37 PM)

It's been disclosed in many news resources that the MRI results showed nothing concerning.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)

No it just means he was having problems and the surgeon wanted to see for himself what was going on. To really know, you need to do some manual tests. Once he saw and felt what was going on and that it had nothing to do with the original injury, he changed his mind about the current situation.

What I meant by the "only sees clients with a significant problem" was that everyday issues are handle by the athletic trainer in this case Herm Schneider. Things that he can't work with, more severe things, then go to the orthopedic surgeon. In this case the fact that Peavy did not return to Chicago or that Romeo didn't go down there earlier indicated that it really isn't a big deal and they could handle it down there.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 04:33 PM)

I think the problem in this case is that he was injured when we traded for him to begin with. Then he was set to come back a couple weeks later and he got injured again, I believe. Then all we get is a measly 3 starts out of him when the team was long out of the race. He, of course, dominates in those three starts and everything is hunky dory and we're all looking forward to a full season of dominance. He does his best Todd Ritchie/Jamie Navarro impersonation to start off last season and it isn't until June that he looks anything like the pitcher we thought we were getting. He, of course, gets hurt again in July then there's rumblings that he had been pitching in pain all year. So instead of speaking up well before the July injury and giving our medical staff a chance to evaluate him, maybe shut him down for a 2-3 weeks and go from there, we lose him for the final two months, which was a crippling blow to our playoff prospects. And here we are now a week away from opening day and the best-case scenario is that he'll be ready sometime in May. And that's just to take the mound. Nobody has any idea how effective he'll be. He could need 8-10 starts just to get that groove back. So it's easy to see how some like Milkman, myself and others are EXTREMELY frustrated with this guy. We know he doesn't suck. If he did, I wouldn't care if he retired. This is a HUGE year for this franchise and our highest paid player is and seemingly will be a major injury risk all year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
I think the problem in this case is that he was injured when we traded for him to begin with. Then he was set to come back a couple weeks later and he got injured again, I believe.

He got hit in the arm with a batted ball.

Peavy gets healthy... Peavy comes in and kicks major ass. White Sox get into the playoffs... Soxtalk loves peavy and doesn't get to talk more s*** until 2012.

Oh wait - who am I kidding - there will be s*** talking here even if we win back to back titles. :P

Edited by hi8is